Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 09:12 AM

4,882 posts, read 13,751,893 times

Advertisements

"Oh, behave." Or you'll all be sent to the time-out corner - without ice cream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 09:24 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,529,057 times
I'll give you two stores that are of a dying breed...King Arthur's Court in Oakley and the Boardwalk in Mt. Lookout.

King Arthur's is a wonderful toy store of the mom and pop variety. This store has been around as long as I can remember, although the location has changed several times, and it reminds me of old toy stores in neighborhood business districts like you used to find in Mt. Healthy or Hulsbeck's in Montgomery. Back in the 70s or early 80s, King Arthur's was in the Hyde Park Plaza, and then for a time they had a second location at the old Markets International in Springdale. They've been in the present location in the old Sears catalog showroom at the corner of Madison and Allston for at least 15 years. I frankly don't know how they survive, but I have to believe that location in the Oakley/Hyde Park area has a lot to do with it. Discerning parents with a bit more disposable income looking for unique toys are essential to a business like this.

The Boardwalk is one of the few brick and mortar hobby shops left anywhere, as they one by one fall prey to internet hobby stores and a shrinking market (kids today find texting and apps more fun than building model airplanes). But, Mike and Marilyn continue to run the Boardwalk as they have for over 30 years. Boardwalk isn't the dusty old corner of a hardware store with stacks of sun faded model kits that some of us remember. It's spotlessly clean, and every item is neatly stacked on shelves. Its walkable location in Mt Lookout Square, with its old time picture display windows make it seem like something out of another era. Not only will you find traditional model kits, but the owners have a personal interest in collectible toy soldiers and classic board games. When I was a kid, my dad used to take me to Boardwalk to spend a little pocket money, and then go next door to Zip's for a burger. I still see families doing that today, and while you see kids in Boardwalk, I think the average age of the clientele has to be over 40. And yet, Mike and Marilyn don't seem to have given the first thought to retiring. They love what they do, and this is the kind of business that you would like to see continue for as long as kids of any age want to create their dreams about sleek airplanes and race cars in miniature.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:02 PM

16,361 posts, read 30,070,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
What I'd like to find out is where more non-chain pharmacies are. Drugstore soda fountains have probably been extinct for 50 years or so. But it'd be nice to at least find someplace that doesn't double as a supermarket and have canned announcements playing continuously. Later for that gray "carpeting" in CVS too. Fortunately I don't have any prescriptions to fill - not that I'd be taking them to any Cincy apothecary as it is. On principle, though, I'd buy a sudoku book or candy bar or something to help keep a community druggist in the black. (I haven't been to NCH over the past year. Anybody know whether Northern Hills Pharmacy at Galbraith and Daly has held on?)

How do you keep a family-run pharmacy alive these days? Many of your large third party payers (i.e., Caremark, Express Scripts, etc.) dictate where prescriptions can be filled. The large health care plans have for years decided that they would prefer to negotiate with a dozen large pharmacy and supermarket chains than go from town to town negotiating with a number of mom & pops. Honestly, for many people, it has been 20-30 years since we had a choice as to what pharmacy to use.

Also,with pharmacist salaries STARTING at $90k in many markets, how can the independents afford to maintain the minimum of two pharmacists to keep a small business to keep operating? That involves a heck of a lot of prescriptions and more than a soduku book or two.

When my uncle sold his store to Walgreen's years ago, he was offered a job with Walgreen's that was a lot more than the profit that he ever generated from the store as an independent.

The only independents that I have seen that are out there consist of a pharmacy counter with one or two other businesses (restaurants, gift shops, etc.). They are located in smaller towns where a significant portion of the employers do not provide a lot of insurance coverage. MOST carry a very small inventory of HBA stuff as there is little margin in the products.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:48 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,702,627 times
We have a family owned pharmacy in Mason - Yost - which has managed to hang on for number of years. The father, Dick Yost is getting up in years, but two of his children became pharmacists and they man the store along with a few other hired counter people for the non pharmacy goods. It is a reasonably sized store for an independent. Dick owns the entire building which contains several other shops and also offices on the second floor. I believe they do a fair amount of business in deliveries to seniors. They managed to outlast at least one national chain outfit which came into the other end of town but after a period of time shut down and sold the property to a bank to use as central offices. Yost has a fine location right in the center of town with their own off street parking lot. But it can't be easy. At opposite ends of town there is a CVS, Walgreens, Drug Mart, and of course Kroger does a good pharmacy volume. Yost has been there long as I have lived in Mason which is now 37 years. I believe Dick's father started it.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:17 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,125,612 times
Johnny's Toys in Greenhills WAS the classic example of this back when it existed. What other toy store on earth gives kids a free goody bag from the "magic castle"? Greatest store ever (and I'm very thankful my parents took me there as a youngster).

Jungle Jim's, at least in my perspective, is the best example of this in the Cincinnati area nowadays. Great store, excellent customer service ("Jungle" Jim built the store he had today from customer suggestions on product they should offer and excellent customer service). For a Dayton perspective, Foy's or DLM takes the cake. If y'all haven't been to either of these stores, they are worth the trip!

Old 08-25-2013, 08:02 PM

We also have an Ace hardware in Mason which is an interesting story. When they first came to town they bought a small totally independent hardware store in the original downtown. It was a very old interior and quite small. After a period of time a Bonanza restaurant on Route 42 near the south side of town closed up. It was a newer and larger building so they moved there and became affiliated with the Ace organization. Both the husband and wife worked in the store. They also had more land consisting of the original Bonanza parking lot. After a few years they acquired some vacant property right next door and built a brand new store. They have always dabbled in related business, such as filling gas grill propane tanks. But their biggest secondary business is selling and delivering bulk mulch. They acquired a used open top tractor trailer which they drive to Michigan to pick up the mulch. They acquired two small dump trucks they use to deliver the mulch and a bobcat front loader to load the mulch. There are now two grown sons and a daughter active in the business. In the spring and early summer the sons do the loading and delivery of the mulch. They sell a lot of mulch. The original Bonanza building is still there used for storage of overflow and seasonal inventory. The main store is sales display only with little storage. There is currently three families earning a living off the store. They have been there quite a number of years, long enough for the children to be grown and have families of their own. Considering the closeness of outfits such as Lowe's and Home Depot, one of each in two different directions, I find it amazing they have continued to prosper. It has to be items such as the mulch sales. As stated at the right time of year you see those two dump trucks all over town and they deliver up until dark and on weekends. Hard workers.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:14 PM

41,737 posts, read 74,692,347 times
Is Adrien Pharmacy in Madeira still open? I love that neon sign.

As for hardware stores, I used to give all my business to Bailey's (nee Howard's) Hardware on Plainville Road in Madison Place. Squeaky wooden floor, packed shelves, warren-like layout. They employed -- and probably still do, just not the same ones -- an army of older gentlemen who knew exactly what you needed before you could finish your sentence. They also fix lawnmowers and screen windows.

You guys sure do like to argue about stupid stuff. Every establishment has a personality; it may not be one you are seeking, but your individual preferences do not render an establishment devoid of character.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Is Adrien Pharmacy in Madeira still open? I love that neon sign.

As for hardware stores, I used to give all my business to Bailey's (nee Howard's) Hardware on Plainville Road in Madison Place. Squeaky wooden floor, packed shelves, warren-like layout. They employed -- and probably still do, just not the same ones -- an army of older gentlemen who knew exactly what you needed before you could finish your sentence. They also fix lawnmowers and screen windows.

You guys sure do like to argue about stupid stuff. Every establishment has a personality; it may not be one you are seeking, but your individual preferences do not render an establishment devoid of character.
I believe Adrien is still open, but won't swear to it. It has been a few years now since I have been in Madeira since my mom passed. I remember when I was a kid and lived in Madeira just a few blocks up the hill at the end of Laurel Ave. At that time it wa Braun's Pharmacy. They used to have the old fashioned soda fountain where we frequently stopped walking home from school to get a phosphate. When Braun retired he sold out to Adrien who had worked for him awhile. When Adrien retired he sold out to a fellow named Wayne Smith who kept the name Adrien's. Dealt with them the entire time I lived in Madeira and after that to get my mother's medications. When I moved to Mason started going to Yost as Madeira was just too far to drive.

I don't believe it is a case of arguing. I believe it is more a case of identifying owner operated businesses where you feel like you are supporting a local business with a more personal touch. They certainly have been decreasing.

Last edited by kjbrill; 08-26-2013 at 06:00 AM..

Old 08-26-2013, 10:51 AM

89 posts, read 191,011 times
I'm always happy to plug Aquarius Star in Clifton. I don't think that place can get enough exposure, but that's because I'm enamored with it. As a café (Om Cafe) I think it's brilliant, but as a retail store it has a lot to offer people who are interested in alternative spirituality, health, etc. It's owned by a woman from Cincinnati's west side eco village, to boot. Tons of personality and love went into that place, and it seems to be really picking up these past few months.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:32 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,898,557 times
Speaking of Ludlow Avenue, who can forget the Esquire Theater? I believe it was vacant for many years before being revived in the early 1990s. It exudes charm. An old school style theater that plays indie films, foreign movies, etc., and even the occasional blockbuster. You won't find stadium seating here, but you will find real butter for your popcorn instead of that neon-yellow synthetic stuff. Not only that, but they officially allow you to bring in whatever you want to eat and drink (within reason, I'd suppose). Bottle of wine with your flick? Go ahead. Friendly staff, unique featured films, classic setting -- perfect. It integrates with the neighborhood as the "entertainment room" of Clifton, with other gems, including Arctic_6's Aquarius Star/Om Cafe, merely steps from the front door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati