U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Unread 08-27-2013, 03:52 PM

961 posts, read 366,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
That's good to know. I've tried what purports to be NY style at several places here, and I didn't think any of it was worth eating a second time. I'm still puzzled about the so-called "Dayton style" pizza I see people here talk about, and wonder if there's anyplace in the area anyone would wholeheartedly recommend. Or do I have to drive to Dayton?
Sometimes it's called "tavern-style" or "bar-style". Here's some background:

It (It's Hip to be Square - small hyperlink to left)

(thanks Dayton Sux for sharing this article earlier!)

A quick FYI - if you have ever been to Donato's, you have had Dayton-style pizza. The way I see it, Dayton-style pizza has to be a round pizza cut into squares, thin crust, with a coating of some sort on the bottom (salt, flour, cornmeal, etc.)

If you like doughier pizza, Milano's has excellent pizza and might be worth a trip sometime too if you ever have to go near Dayton Mall, UD, or WPAFB.

Unread 08-27-2013, 03:56 PM

961 posts, read 366,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Even the best imitation NY style pizza in the midwest is nothing more than a cheap knock off. You haven't had real New York style pizza unless you have had it in NYC, in a real pizzeria. And even then there are pizzerias that are absolutely top shelf, and ones that suck.
That makes a lot of sense. I've never been to New York, so it makes a lot of sense that what I am getting here in Ohio is not comparable. Plus, I doubt the ingredients are as fresh, since NYC has the ports nearby.

I had experienced this effect with Uno's locally vs. Giorando's in Chicago. No comparison!

Unread 08-27-2013, 04:53 PM

1,086 posts, read 1,152,442 times
The reason the NY sourced pizza is going to taste better is cultural. Again, the essence of a NY style pizza is the crust plus the baking method. Flour and yeast aren't fresh ingredients. Some pizza lovers think the NYC water with specific minerals is part of the recipe.

Here in Ohio, there's no one to teach the method or compete against, and places here will cut corners because there's no one informed to complain to them to keep them honest. In the kingdom of the blind the one eyed man is king - you can be half-a%%ed here and people accept it. It's food-cultural.

A few people on local food boards claim that Troni's on Dorothy Lane in Dayton makes as close to NY style as you can find in this region. I've had it a few times. To me it's not much different than Flying Pizza.

Unread 08-28-2013, 10:08 AM

1 posts, read 274 times
Thumbs up Pizza Suggestion

Try Pitrelli's in Mason. Very good!!

Unread 08-28-2013, 10:48 AM

4,006 posts, read 1,964,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
The reason the NY sourced pizza is going to taste better is cultural. Again, the essence of a NY style pizza is the crust plus the baking method. Flour and yeast aren't fresh ingredients. Some pizza lovers think the NYC water with specific minerals is part of the recipe.
That's really only part of it. The crappier pizzerias don't put much custom effort into their pizzas. Whereas the really good ones do all sorts of things to make their pizza stand out. Some pizzerias are generations old, have home made sauce, high quality ingredients, a wide assortment of toppings - and of course everything is high quality as well. NY style pizza is a generations old art for those who truly take pride in their work.

Unread 08-28-2013, 01:10 PM

7,358 posts, read 4,876,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGirl View Post
Try Pitrelli's in Mason. Very good!!
Pitrelli's old location is now where Aponte's is. Pitrelli's is in the old Mason post office location literally across the street.

I've never had pizza at Pitrelli's so don't know what their style is purported to be. Their printed menu doesn't really tell you much other than they make their own sauce. I have tried to embrace Pitrelli's several times desiring to support a locally owned business. But they always manage to do something to turn me off. The last time there the wife and I ordered spaghetti and meatballs. An Italian place right? What should be more basic than that. When served the meatballs had been frozen, nuked, and were still cold in the center, a real turnoff. Maybe if you stick to the special of the day it may have a chance to actually be prepared that day and served fresh. Why does a restaurant which is not exactly cheap not have the sense to inform you when a menu item will be reheated from frozen, or at least see to it is actually heated? My wife commented Chef-Boyardee out of a can is as good as this stuff. I have other acquaintances who also complain about their consistency.

Unread 08-28-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
That makes a lot of sense. I've never been to New York, so it makes a lot of sense that what I am getting here in Ohio is not comparable. Plus, I doubt the ingredients are as fresh, since NYC has the ports nearby.

I had experienced this effect with Uno's locally vs. Giorando's in Chicago. No comparison!
My all time favorite is still Chicago deep dish style, for which Gino's East was the winner. There were others who were good, Duo's, Uno's, etc. Gino's was on the near north side in the high rent apartment district, all kinds of horse mounted police patrol so us out of town businessmen felt safe. You could stand out on the sidewalk for a long time trying to get in. We could walk from the nearby suite hotels where most of us stayed during the trade shows at McCormick Place. I would warn my compatriots from Cincinnati, do not order a large unless you split it among at least 4. At that time, I was used to ordering a large at a Cincinnati pizza joint and wolfing it all down by myself. Of course they did not listen and we had tons of boxed pizza to take back to the hotel, put in the fridge, and nuke for breakfast the next day. Hey, when you are out of town at a McCormick Place trade show for two weeks, nuked deep dish pizza is a great breakfast since you are already late for the opening of your booth having imbibed too much the night before. After a few nights (and mornings) of too much Gino's East your stomach is ready to rebel. Then I would back down to another Chicago downtown staple - the White Hen Pantry. You could go in there any time of the night and have them prepare you a sliced turkey sandwich with literally any condiment, sliced tomatoes, lettuce, mayo, etc. you desired. I hauled many a sack of those back to the hotel for those of us deciding not going out to eat and then getting hungry.

I realize I am not from NYC or even a family who spent any time in NYC. But this discussion of thin, chewy, but crisp crusts which can be folded leaves me out there somewhere. Also a thin coating of sauce, not too thick and a sprinkling of cheese. All the talk about fresh ingredients as if they go to the produce store every day and purchase. Even then you are likely buying the same ingredients the produce store had for sale 5 days ago. It all boils down to an ethnic and ego building exercise with little basis in reality. My frank opinion of East Coast pizza is they skimp on the toppings and everything else trying to explain it is because they take more care. I will continue to enjoy our inferior, but substantially lower priced local pizza.

Unread 08-28-2013, 02:10 PM

22,758 posts, read 26,150,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I realize I am not from NYC or even a family who spent any time in NYC. But this discussion of thin, chewy, but crisp crusts which can be folded leaves me out there somewhere. Also a thin coating of sauce, not too thick and a sprinkling of cheese.
Ditto. I find New York style pizza very bland -- all you taste is the cheese -- and if you can fold the crust, well, then, it's too thin.

My off-the-boat Italian grandmother made pizza with bread dough, fresh tomato sauce with chunks of tomatoes, olive oil, oregano, and mozzarella cheese. It's rare that any pizza comes close to the yumminess that was Gram's.

As for Cincinnati pizza, Italianette and Mio's are my favorites. Both have a thick, flavorful sauce, and if you ask them not to gob up the pie with too much cheese, they'll oblige.

Unread 08-28-2013, 03:55 PM

4,006 posts, read 1,964,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Ditto. I find New York style pizza very bland -- all you taste is the cheese --
Try adding some toppings. (couldn't resist being a smart Alec)

Unread 08-28-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Ditto. I find New York style pizza very bland -- all you taste is the cheese -- and if you can fold the crust, well, then, it's too thin.

My off-the-boat Italian grandmother made pizza with bread dough, fresh tomato sauce with chunks of tomatoes, olive oil, oregano, and mozzarella cheese. It's rare that any pizza comes close to the yumminess that was Gram's.

As for Cincinnati pizza, Italianette and Mio's are my favorites. Both have a thick, flavorful sauce, and if you ask them not to gob up the pie with too much cheese, they'll oblige.
What is this gob up the pie with too much cheese? I want mine gobbed up to the point you can see nothing but cheese on top. Today I saw a store bought pizza in the freezer. Looked a bit skimpy on top to me. So I looked in the fridge and found a bag of shredded mozzarella. Took that cheese and smothered the pizza. Baked it until I had a melted and slightly brown crust of cheese all over the top. I have a aluminum pizza pan I brought years ago. That put it directly on the rack idea, what a mess. I bake mine on the aluminum pan in a conventional oven until I like the looks of the top. The crust is then whatever it is. I do have a ceramic pizza round in the cabinet which I rarely get out. By the time it heats up to the point where it will bake anything I am no longer hungry. Every one to their own taste. If I happen to be out of mozzarella, I will use shredded cheddar. But that is when I want some anchovies on the pizza, love anchovies and cheddar combned.

I love all kinds of toppings on pizza, green or ripe olives, onions, bacon, diced tomatoes, sausage and many others. I buy large jars of olives at Costco and slice them up. Then I will buy a cheap store bought pizza and augment it. And I mean augment it. By the time I get done it has little resemblance to the original, especially after I pile the cheese on. It is a knife and fork eating affair, as the crust will not support the weight of the toppings I put on without folding up and dropping everything. It has no resemblance to anything served in NYC, as I want the emphasis in my pizza to be on pie not dough.

Good luck to everyone trying to find their preference of pizza in Ohio. I don't have much of a problem, as I just make mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati