Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 07:30 AM

33 posts, read 118,543 times

Advertisements

Hi all . Since we are finally back in the area, I want to introduce our 4 kiddos to the WEBN fireworks tradition this year . Growing up we always walked to the levee in Newport (before it was developed) from a family friend's NKY law office, and once I started going with friends and the levee was developed we would park in the garage and take shifts at the blanket until time for the show. Our kids are ages 3-9, and with the combo of forecasted temps and their ages we would rather not have to stake out a blanket spot for hours without a playground or other entertainment nearby (and vendors for cold drinks if we are in an area with cooler restrictions).

Any recommendations for places we can go to see a fair bit of the action (I know unless we are right on the river, the bridge waterfalls, etc probably won't be visible) with a lower crowd factor? Our original plan was to view from my grandmother's condo that overlooks the river off WH Taft until the kids are a bit older, but we have since discovered she has 2 trees completely obstructing her view . I'm sure the crowd at Sawyer Point (where we could kill time at the playgrounds, etc) are huge, and we aren't sure we want to fight Newport. Even better if there's a viewing spot that isn't impacted by the road closures and we don't have to arrive more than 2 hours before boom time

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 05:08 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
I would suggest the parks, such as Devou in KY, Eden in Cincy. Granted they are a long distance view and will lack in the impact of the boom, boom, but have a pleasant time with a young family and a safe environment that is what you want.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:45 PM

My son worked for the City for a few years, and knows his way around downtown quite well. The last number of years he would plan to arrive downtown about the time they closed the I-471 bridge to traffic. They would go up around the bridge abutments and retaining walls and find a place to view. But his kids were in their late teens and could handle themselves. But for a family of youngsters, no way would I subject them to such dangers. Find a location which may not be ideal, but at their age they have plenty of opportunity to have the up and close personal experience. Hope you have a good and safe time.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:53 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,975,677 times
I hate to be discouraging, but for several years my hubby and I searched for just such a location. I'm pretty sure there are large numbers of people who've scoped out virtually every possible spot. We were never successful in avoiding large crowds, and started to settle for going to the City of Hamilton's July 4 fireworks instead. Nowhere on a scale with WBBN, but it's easy to park near the Neilan Blvd. bridge and you have a nice view.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:11 PM

Thanks all . Eden is on our radar, as long as we plan ahead with food and a cooler full of waters (and before they close the road up the hill)-- I don't mind the tradeoff of less boom for a more manageable intro to the fireworks for our crew . Appreciate the advice, I'll check out the park on the Kentucky side too

Old 08-30-2013, 06:06 AM

Not sure if non-subscribers can view it, but the Enquirer Weekend section today includes a list of parks to view the fireworks from. Of course, with this publication I guess those places become even worse-kept-secrets.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:40 AM

Update: we opted to go to Newport Central Catholic High School . We purchased a parking pass today ($10) and it will be $3ea (over age 5) to get in-- they'll have games for the kiddos indoors, as well as food and live entertainment available

Old 08-30-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copelscope View Post
Update: we opted to go to Newport Central Catholic High School . We purchased a parking pass today ($10) and it will be $3ea (over age 5) to get in-- they'll have games for the kiddos indoors, as well as food and live entertainment available
That sounds like a good arrangement. You will still be close to the riverfront but not in a huge throng of people. You can stay there until after the crowd thins out, just bide your time. Sounds like a 1-up place to me. Let us know how it turns out, particularly for the kiddos.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copelscope View Post
If you have a chance, let us know how that works out!

Old 09-02-2013, 08:06 AM

Update: arrived around 6:45 (no traffic issues on Grand Ave exit on 471), was directed right into a parking spot about 1/2 way into the lot for the school (with our $10 reserved parking pass) after paying $3 ea for the 4 of the 6 in our van that were older than 5. Walked up to the lawn and there was plenty of space for our blankets-- so much that the kids spent the first 30min or so rolling down the hill with no one in their way

The live music was a high school band playing covers on the steps of the school, non alcoholic drinks were $2ea (for 20oz bottles), food prices were also reasonable (didn't buy food). Kids games in the gym included typical carnival games (bean bag toss, etc), face painting and a bounce house (most things were 2 tickets, and tickets were 3/$1).

The view was great-- the only thing not really visible was the waterfall off the bridge, but everything else was easily seen . All in all, I think we have found our yearly spot while the kids are still little-- very family friendly, little crowd, and we got home at the same time as if we had just gone to the school to visit without any events going on . All 4 kids where showered and in bed by 1030
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati