Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 04:47 PM

20 posts, read 56,240 times

Advertisements

I work in the Cincinnati area and my husband works just south of Dayton. We live in the Dayton area at the moment but are not looking to buy a home somewhere between the two cities and would love some suggestions on a few places to look. Our max budget is $400k but we'd like to lower than that and are looking for a home around 2400 square feet, hopefully with a decent sized yard. We have a little one so school districts are important. Suburban or a little more rural are both fine, it's more about the commute times. Right now, I'm driving 50 minutes if there isn't traffic, but there is always traffic so it takes longer.

I appreciate any suggestions you might have to offer. Thank you in advanced!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 06:04 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,697,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcarbaugh View Post
I work in the Cincinnati area and my husband works just south of Dayton. We live in the Dayton area at the moment but are not looking to buy a home somewhere between the two cities and would love some suggestions on a few places to look. Our max budget is $400k but we'd like to lower than that and are looking for a home around 2400 square feet, hopefully with a decent sized yard. We have a little one so school districts are important. Suburban or a little more rural are both fine, it's more about the commute times. Right now, I'm driving 50 minutes if there isn't traffic, but there is always traffic so it takes longer.

I appreciate any suggestions you might have to offer. Thank you in advanced!
You have a complex problem, and one which I am sure many people share. I had a little problem with interpreting your comments. First of all I would definitely be looking to locate between the two cities. I would be looking in Springboro, good schools, the whole nine yards. If you feel your husband's job is solid then I would begin looking around for other employment.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:08 PM

Default Clarification

This should be "We live in the Dayton area at the moment but are now looking to buy a home somewhere between the two cities and would love some suggestions on a few places to look."

One wrong letter throws the whole thing off We ARE looking for housing between the two cities. My apologies.

And to clarify, I'm happy with my job and don't want to look for other employment. I just want to find a home that comes with a more manageable commute.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:39 AM

You stated the hubby works on the south side of Dayton and you work in the Cincinnati area. Cincinnati is a pretty big area. Could you be a little more specific on both work locations so commute distances and times can be considered.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:47 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,124,018 times
Probably a good place to look would be anywhere east of I-75 near exit 32 (OH 122 - Middletown).

The section within Middletown city limits should be seeing some growth soon, which will increase property values for houses nearby. Hunter, the section of houses along 122 just outside Middletown, is the old-growth and is doing well. A lot of new growth is coming in, and that's where you would probably want to buy. Honestly, you could go easily $100k less than that budget and still buy a nice, new place which easily meet your criteria. Here are some examples:

3337 Babson Ct, Franklin, OH 45005 - Zillow
1463 Shaker Run Blvd, Lebanon, OH 45036 - Zillow (Shaker Run Golf Course Community)
4237 Prairie Smoke Ct, Lebanon, OH 45036 - Zillow
5541 State Route 122, Franklin, OH 45005 - Zillow (probably could get them down to $400k)
2837 Shaker Rd, Franklin, OH 45005 - Zillow (8 acres)

Schools would either be Franklin or Lebanon, both of which are good but not the top in the area. Open enrollment into Springboro or Monroe schools might be the way to go, or there is a strong private school presence with Middletown Christian, Bishop Fenwick HS, etc.

Good luck!

Old 09-21-2013, 11:05 AM

Again, just where are the work locations? Springboro beats either Lebanon or Franklin sideways, especially Franklin.

Springboro is a quick commute to South Dayton and a reasonable commute to Northern Cincinnati. But as you get further into Cincinnati it becomes more of a bear.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:53 PM

I work in northern Cincinnati. My husband has recently become interested in West Chester because he loves some of their turn of the century houses, and it seems to beat Mason in spades in terms of acreage possibilities. That said, are their other areas to consider that have older homes, good school?

Old 09-21-2013, 02:21 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,124,018 times
How about this? It is the only house I could find anywhere that meets your criteria.

317 Keever St, Lebanon, OH 45036 - Zillow

Old 09-21-2013, 02:42 PM

^^^It's gorgeous! What's the word on Lebanon? I know nothing about the town.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:33 PM

224 posts, read 374,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcarbaugh View Post
^^^It's gorgeous! What's the word on Lebanon? I know nothing about the town.
Rcarbaugh, we live in Lebanon, a few hundred yards from the listing OHKID posted, and like it a lot. Pluses include good schools, nice historic housing stock, low crime, a generally attractive and well-kept appearance and easy access north and south via I-71 and I-75. There are a number of festivals and events held here, which we enjoy.

If you are looking for diversity, Lebanon will let you down - it is predominantly white.

You should drive out here some time - you can't be too far away. I would be glad to answer any questions you might have. Feel free to send me a PM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati