U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 09:49 PM

246 posts, read 289,740 times
Default Best gyms around Cincinnati?

I posted in another thread that I'm moving to Cincinnati soon. I've been a group exercise instructor for around 15 years, and love to workout, so I'm wondering what some of the better gyms in Cincinnati are, especially for group exercise schedule, and quality of the overall workout facilities/equipment, and hours?

I will be working in the Central Business District, not sure where I will live yet though... working on that one. The Y downtown has a group exercise schedule that seems pretty sparse, but I did notice they have a pool.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 12:47 AM

710 posts, read 1,962,334 times
there is the cincinnati athletic club downtown, or the yWca

Old 11-17-2007, 12:50 AM

710 posts, read 1,962,334 times
or the university of cincinnati's gym, as a public university it is open to the public for a fee

Old 11-17-2007, 04:08 PM

246 posts, read 289,740 times
Ok, sweet. Will definitely have to check those places out... I guess some of it depends on where I'm working, but I already know I'll be based out of downtown, so...

Old 02-11-2009, 05:30 PM

6 posts, read 20,925 times
LA Fitness is your best bet

They have the best equipment and classes around b/c they are all brand new and they don't have contracts, it's month to month. There's locations opening all over the place this year.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:38 PM

2,204 posts, read 4,304,401 times
I go to the Gym in the Carew Tower. Pretty nice and very affordable. Gym, pool, hot tub, sauna, tanning bed.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:58 PM

4,007 posts, read 2,394,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincy0725 View Post
LA Fitness is your best bet

They have the best equipment and classes around b/c they are all brand new and they don't have contracts, it's month to month. There's locations opening all over the place this year.
Ditto. I am a member and love it.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:57 AM

8,637 posts, read 6,294,896 times
Trying to identify the best has a lot of personal tastes involved. There are so many, Fitness 19, LA Fitness, Lifetime Fitness, the YMCA, etc. Definition of best, as best value, best facilities, best programs, is always difficult.

I have an acquaintance who swears by Lifetime Fitness, but for years his workouts have been solely his own, he participates in no groups. He admits Lifetime Fitness is on the expensive side but it is right around the corner from his house, he works out early in the morning, and takes a hanging bag with his work clothes and showers, shaves, and dresses there after his workout then off for the day. This is all accomplished by 6:30 AM in the morning. The guy is admittedly kind of a nut.

My brother and SIL belonged to the same Lifetime Fitness in Deerfield Township. They have concluded at their age there is not enough they can utilize for the cost of the membership. He is my junior but in his late sixties. We live less than 1/2 mile apart, and they have decided to join the Mason Community Center, because they love the setup aimed at senior citizens and the cost. The leisure pool is ideal for seniors needing some water therapy and is where my wife goes with her caregiver to try and keep up with her arthritis. It has an hydraulic lift to assist seniors in and out of the pool. The center has its own coffeeshop with soups, sandwiches, and salads for lunch, operated by Mason employees. The prices are very reasonable and many seniors take advantage of it. It helps extend their day away from home. The area called the Bridge is for seniors only and as you may tell from the name has a lot of Bridge Players spending their time there.

For those physically capable there is a 2nd floor walking track, and a whole assortment of the workout machines in the central area.

As I said, the Best is highly personal preference. But for seniors, Mason has one of the best facilities around. I know, lambast me for touting Mason. But after almost 40 years living here, paying my fair share of school taxes, and helping to build this town, I am damn glad the city is doing what they can to assist the senior citizens. If you are a senior is anyone watching your back where you live?

Old 03-06-2012, 07:31 AM

8,637 posts, read 6,294,896 times
To the OP. Sorry for distracting since you are new to town. You said will be working in the CBD, undecided on housing. If it were me these days I would definiely look into also living downtown. Why? - convenience, pure and simple. Minimize the time spent between the job, living, and other pursuits as the gym, minimize time lost in your life.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:38 AM

21 posts, read 20,417 times
In terms of facilities, opportunities, classes, all of that I think the University of Cincinnati cannot really be matched. It's new and clean and very expansive with an amazing pool facility, rock wall, hot tub, indoor track, basketball, handball, whatever. And they have a TON of classes for relatively cheap (~$40) from boxing to triathlon training, yoga, swimming, etc. plus masters swimming and other groups like that. Now this might be overkill for a lot of people and not quite so convenient if you're located downtown but in terms of amenities I don't think there is a better facility around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati