Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 05:44 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
Why did you hate cleveland? Why did you love columbus? Cincinnati is more like Cleveland than it is Columbus.
I'm not sure I see how Cleveland and Cincinnati are alike? What are the similarities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 09:47 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,536,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I'm not sure I see how Cleveland and Cincinnati are alike? What are the similarities?
Having lived in Cleveland 28 years, Columbus a year, and Cincinnati a year all I can tell you is that unlike Cleveland, the people in Cincy aren't trying to make excuses for their choice of living/remaining in Cleveland. Seems like everyone is always trying to justify why they live in Cleveland rather than simply enjoying the area for what it is. Lake effect snow doesn't help it's cause either.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:03 AM

77 posts, read 103,531 times
Thanks for all the continued advice! I head to Cincy next Sun evening for an interview on Monday. I plan on diving in and doing as much research as I can this week so that I'm prepared. Unfortunately, it will be a quick trip so I won't have time to see the city much but I am having dinner with a bunch of locals on Sun that can hopefully give me the low down

Old 10-13-2013, 06:33 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
OP... Good luck on your interview in Cincinnati.

If you end up landing a job here, definitely come baack to the forum and we can all argue over where you should live. If you decide on somewhere else at least touch back and advise us where.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:00 AM

I will definitely keep you posted The Louisville opportunity dropped out of the running today, but they still really like me and are seeing if they can put me in another office.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:38 PM

So apparently chili is a thing in Cincinnati?? lol I had no idea! But I may be getting that for dinner on Sun so I can get the full experience

Old 10-17-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brahette View Post
So apparently chili is a thing in Cincinnati?? lol I had no idea! But I may be getting that for dinner on Sun so I can get the full experience
No, Cincinnati Chili is nothing like you have ever had before. Do not recommend a newbie have it for Sunday dinner unless you have a backup, especially a dose of bicarb later on. But if your acquitances here take you to a Cincinnati Chili place go the whole nine yards. You start off with a 5-way, a regular is fine. That is a bed of spaghetti with beans, Cincinnati Chili (Greek meat sauce) ladeled on, chopped onions, and finely shredded cheese. Then don't forget to sprinkle on the oyster crackers to soak up the chili sauce and add several sprinkles of hot red pepper sauce., it will be on the table. I always have a large 5-way but recommend you have a regular, because in addition you must order at least 2 cheese coneys. Just say 2 cheese coneys, and if asked say the works, and they will provide the works. 2 small frankfurters on buns with Cincinnati Chili, chopped onions, grated cheese and a dose of mustard.

If you wade through this you will have had a bonafide Cincinnati Chili experience and can tell anyone you encounter in the future you know what Cincinnati is all about. You may rightfully state Cincinnatians are crazy, you cannot believe what their most popular food is.

Hope your trip here is fruitful, but by all means go away with an experience of what Cincinnatians call Chili. That will be something which stays in your memory for a long time.

Last edited by kjbrill; 10-17-2013 at 03:02 PM..

Old 10-17-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
No, Cincinnati Chili is nothing like you have ever had before. Do not recommend a newbie have it for Sunday dinner unless you have a backup, especially a dose of bicarb later on. But if your acquitances here take you to a Cincinnati Chili place go the whole nine yards. You start off with a 5-way, a regular is fine. That is a bed of spaghetti with beans, Cincinnati Chili (Greek meat sauce) ladeled on, chopped onions, and finely shredded cheese. Then don't forget to sprinkle on the oyster crackers to soak up the chili sauce and add several sprinkles of hot red pepper sauce., it will be on the table. I always have a large 5-way but recommend you have a regular, because in addition you must order at least 2 cheese coneys. Just say 2 cheese coneys, and if asked say the works, and they will provide the works. 2 small frankfurters on buns with Cincinnati Chili, chopped onions, grated cheese and a dose of mustard.

If you wade through this you will have had a bonafide Cincinnati Chili experience and can tell anyone you encounter in the future you know what Cincinnati is all about. You may rightfully state Cincinnatians are crazy, you cannot believe what their most popular food is.
LOL this sounds amazing!!! I am big into trying new foods, so I am all about this. Apparently they are taking me to Skyline Chili. I've had Coneys before, not sure if they're the same there that they are here. But that chili sounds delicious, can't wait to try it!

Old 10-17-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brahette View Post
LOL this sounds amazing!!! I am big into trying new foods, so I am all about this. Apparently they are taking me to Skyline Chili. I've had Coneys before, not sure if they're the same there that they are here. But that chili sounds delicious, can't wait to try it!
You responded before I modified my post. I doubt whether the coneys are the same. The concept is probably the same, but Cincinnati Chili is unique. Also, the shredded cheese is also unique, they practically shave it so there are mounds on everything, the coneys, the 5-ways, the whole conglomerate. I make a pretty fair Cincinnati Chili at home, but the biggest problem I have is finding a cheese in the market which is shredded as fine as they do. Of course I can find our local chili parlors cheese in our local markets but am too cheap to pay the premium price they charge for it.

Have a great time in your visit here.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:16 PM

Thanks!! I will only have a few hours Sun night, wish I had booked my flight earlier. But I plan on swinging through Clifton and Hyde Park to at least get a glimpse of them since those are the 2 neighborhoods that are top on my list
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati