Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 08:33 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everglore View Post
Thought of Boca...But what about the others I mentioned like Prima vista and Seasons 52 ?

I don't want to walk to Boca man ! I want to drive somewhere we don't go ...It is a special day

Thanks for the road trip suggestion...Will do that...but how did you spend your time there ? what did you do ?
I had been there several times growing up. Since the Smokeys are only about a 1/2 day drive from Cincinnati, it attracts a lot of people. But it is also about the same distance from Washington DC. As I said it is the most visited national park in the US. Because of all those people it has developed into a 1st Class Tourist Trap. Almost to the point they have ruined the experience.

As I said, the wife and I honeymooned there, some 51 years ago. We have been back there several times with our children.

Another place to mention is Cumberland Falls Ky, on the Cumberland River. The Falls are certainly no Niagara, but the state park is a nice place to visit, closer than the Smokeys, and has a nice lodge.

I was a cheap ass on our honeymoon simply because I had no money. We headed out from Cincinnati southwest to Bowling Green Ky and the Mammoth Cave national park. Stayed in the park service's lodge right off the main entrance to the cave. I had checked and their rates were no more than the tourist trap motels outside the park's boundaries. We went on a couple of cave tours and loved it. We have been back to take our kids though the same tours, just like my parents had taken me when I was a boy.

The next day, we drove across Ky to the Cumberland Falls state park. This was another site my parents had taken me to as a boy. Once again stayed at the state park lodge.

The following day we headed for Tn and Gatlinburg. Spent a couple of days there doing the normal tourist things:

#1, you have to drive to the Top of the Smokeys to Clingmans Dome and take the hike up to the observation tower. On a clear day, which is rare, the view is breathtaking. If during your drive up or down the twisting mountain road you suddenly see traffic at an absolute standstill in front of you, you can guarantee there is a black bear along the side of the road. If it is a mother with cubs, guaranteed you are not going anywhere quickly.

#2, you have to take the drive to Cades Cove. This is an original pioneer village in a mountain valley totally within the park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 11:15 AM

OP ...

Some more quick trips in the Cincy area would be Clifty Falls State Park in Indiana near Madison which is right on the river. If you want to make a two day trip check into the Clifty Inn right at the park entrance.

Another is General Butler State Park on the Ky side near Carrollton, an easy drive down I-71. Consider going to their lodge and having a Thanksgiving Buffet. An easy one day trip.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:52 PM

OP ...

There are so many one-to-two day trips from Cincinnati they are hard to describe. In Eastern Ky there is Natural Bridge and the Red River Gorge. This is a hiking visit so not one for a pregnant woman. But it is beautiful. In Eastern Ohio there is the Hocking Hills State Park, Old Man's cave, etc. Beautiful, rustic, forest scenery. Again, more for the hiking visit.

If you want just someplace you have not probably been, drive up to Oxford, Ohio, home of Miami University and the adjacent Hueston Woods State Park. It is straight up Route 27 Have dinner in the lodge and then drive back to Cincinnati.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:35 PM

17,539 posts, read 13,324,825 times
What about The Bourbon Trail between Lexington and Louisville?

How about French Lick (or even closer, Columbus, IN, great architecture tours

Old 01-01-2014, 04:49 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
Uh...Mike...I think they've had their dinner, their trip, AND their baby by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati