U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2013, 04:36 AM
Yac

6,039 posts, read 7,397,110 times

Advertisements

As the thread continues, I feel I have to remind you all to stay calm, respectful and on topic.
Yac.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:10 AM

3,341 posts, read 6,640,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I don't disagree with you. I was quite disappointed in the earlier part of the last decade when the light rail initiative failed. Trains are faster and have fewer stops. But that won't necessarily apply to a streetcar, which is basically a bus on rails and which operates in the same areas as buses.

I'm just baffled (and somewhat amused) about the assertion that buses are so "not cool"? Other than the nasty diesel exhaust; I'll give you that.

How is the streetcar's basic "cool" service and operation going to differ from "uncool" bus service? Will it be more frequent? Have fewer stops (which, given its route, wouldn't make any sense)? Have a different fare structure to keep out the riff raff?

Are they going to leave rainbows and unicorns and pots of gold in their wake? Because that would be awesome ... !
Buses are plenty cool enough to ride. (Not cool enough to spur development, though.) Nearly every young person in the City has tried to ride City buses and decided they weren't worth the time or effort. Who is going to sit on a bus for an hour and take two transfers to travel 3 miles from northside to eastern uptown? Nobody who has a choice.

I wish we could all vote whether we wanted better bus service OR a streetcar. But that isn't the choice. Realistically, the choice is do you want a streetcar OR do you want nothing. Well, I'll take the streetcar.

Doing something radical like tripling investment in the Metro would be a huge boon for the City. But trying to do so would turn into an ugly political fight like everything else.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 07:29 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,399,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Mercifully, their time is over, and Cincinnati can finally get serious about tackling problems in the neighborhoods outside of CBD-OTR-CUF.
This is actually a return to the approach that was used and failed in the city 20 years ago. While I am no raving fan of our city government in general, I think the one thing that we got right finally was acknowledging the simple reality that we couldn't fix every neighborhood, but if we focused our efforts on certain areas, we could do some things really well. Once you complete those areas, then move on to the next. Diluting your resources throughout the city leads to patchwork results that are so minor in their impact as to be hardly noticeable. Eventually, these tiny projects fade and are forgotten about, so you never really gain any momentum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilworms2 View Post
These are the neighborhoods that would attract people to the city, the architecture of this part of the city alone is highly unique for the midwest.

Unfortunately Cranely's statement focused on the Swifton Commons redo, the neighborhood that surrounds that is 1930s era suburbia which isn't where the back to the city movement is focused on in most cities that are ahead of Cincinnati on the gentrification curve.

Focus on saving the best assets, which IMO would also include what's left of (east) Walnut Hills, East/Lower Price Hill, The West End (brighton) and Camp Washington. All of these areas IMO would be ripe for gentrification anyways if the focus on OTR was so successful that it started to bleed into other neighborhoods - what's good for the core is good for the rest of the city - I've studied how this happens around the country and that's what happens - don't think Cincinnati is in some vacuum where this isn't possible.
I agree...we should focus on what makes our city unique and distinctive. That's not to say we let the rest of the city fall to ruin, but if you really want to drive the repopuluation of the city, you have to offer something than is different and exciting compared to what you can get in West Chester. The greatest asset the city has is historic character and architecture, and we need to capitalize on that, and it just so happens that these things exist in CBD, OTR, CUF, Mt Auburn, Walnut Hills and a few others.

If you've read any of my posts, you'll know that I am a huge advocate of Walnut Hills, and I also agree with the fact that gentrification is the best thing for it. However, what you also need to realize is that there are people in Walnut Hills who fear gentrification as much or more than was felt in OTR a few years ago. People resist change, even if it is good for them. I know people in Walnut Hills who somehow want their cake and eat it too, and I've heard it naively suggested by those associated with Walnut Hills Area Council that upscale Kenwood Mall-type stores should flock to Peebles Corner while at the same time we build more low to moderate income housing in the area. Some people just don't get it.

The one thing that I fear for Walnut Hills and other neighborhoods like it, is that despite Henslaya's belief that the new mayor will bring prosperity to all the neighborhoods, I think Walnut Hills' fast track to prosperity had its best chance under Qualls. There are still exciting things going on in Walnut Hills, but whatever happens there will be in spite of Cranley and the new council, not because of it.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:17 PM

4,041 posts, read 5,670,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
The greatest asset the city has is historic character and architecture, and we need to capitalize on that, and it just so happens that these things exist in CBD, OTR, CUF, Mt Auburn, Walnut Hills and a few others.
In spite of Crowbar Cranley wanting to stop the streetcar, he simply does not have the ability to derail development in OTR / downtown. Financing is too well organized, and multi-layered to come to a halt. What very well may happen is organic development from small developers / investors could be quashed north of liberty to a marked degree should the streetcar stop. Is this what the TOASTers wanted? Kill off small businesses and investors so the big players, like 3CDC can continue NOL? Perhaps that was Cranley's goal all along.

Or maybe the all knowing hen can educate us from his lofty perch in Dayton what the real deal is.

And therein lies the pipe dream that Cranley is babbling about. The majority of the financing going into downtown neighborhoods is not city money, and Cranley cannot spread it around. It's private investment by financial firms and corporations.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:21 PM

35 posts, read 49,048 times
Crowbar Cranley has already reversed his position on a streetcar referendum. Now he will seek to block a referendum if the city council passes an ordinance cancelling the project.

Truly great leadership! One minute he will allow it, the next minute he will not.

Oh, and so much for democracy.

It's already time for this buffoon to go.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:40 PM

477 posts, read 629,551 times
He hasn't even taken office yet, 4 years of this guy will rip the social fabric of Cincinnati apart.

I gotta stop reading this, but its like watching a train wreck, I can't stop watching the destruction.

Deep down I wanted Cincinnati to succeed, now I'm gotta write it off AGAIN completely. I'm glad I moved to Chicago and got the f-out of that crud hole.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:18 AM

549 posts, read 798,547 times
Please, like Chicago is any better. It's just a bigger city with more segregation, so you don't get a chance to see the corruption manifest on the streets. We're a city of fighters, who are all very passionate about our beliefs. That's why we get into so many fights...

We are dealing with a very difficult situation here. Our mayor elect is acting like a child and flaunting corruption in all of our faces. The very last thing we need is input from people like yourself, who admittedly couldn't care less about the city. I'm sorry that your convictions are so fickle, but I'm glad you've found a home in Chicago. I've lived in that town as well, and I'd choose Cincinnati over it any day. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:29 PM

4,244 posts, read 6,851,777 times
Quote:
I've lived in that town as well, and I'd choose Cincinnati over it any day.
Laughable.

@@@@

This streetcar is the subway all over again, down to the infrastructure investment that will be abandoned in place if the project is cancelled. With the subway it was the tunnels. With the streetcar it will be the tracks.

Really is ironic how history is repeating itself. Ironic and unbelievable.

I don't think this has happened in any other city in the recent past...a major investment like this that is being cancelled while under construction.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:48 PM

800 posts, read 746,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Laughable.

@@@@

This streetcar is the subway all over again, down to the infrastructure investment that will be abandoned in place if the project is cancelled. With the subway it was the tunnels. With the streetcar it will be the tracks.

Really is ironic how history is repeating itself. Ironic and unbelievable.

I don't think this has happened in any other city in the recent past...a major investment like this that is being cancelled while under construction.
I've been to a Chicago a number of times and would also choose Cincinnati over it any day. The only thing that Chicago really has is its size. I'm relatively unimpressed by everything else. The architecture is nothing special, it's flat as a pancake, its sports teams have nothing particularly special outside of the Jordan years, and has not contributed particularly much to American history besides being a big city on a lake.

Back on topic, it's a shame that the streetcar has been "derailed". In the end it will be good for the city, some just don't care.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:16 PM

35 posts, read 49,048 times
Dohoney is out.

Thankfully there is a saving grace on Dec. 1. A recall petition will be sufficient with only 8,459 signatures of those who are registered to vote, regardless of whether they voted or not in the election.

Last edited by isolace; 11-13-2013 at 06:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati