Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2013, 03:03 PM

35 posts, read 53,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
You are about as full of hot air as little big-man, John Cranley. First off, it's not end of story. There have been two referendums where voters approved the street car, and now (Mr. Flip-Flop) the mayor elect says he "welcomes a referendum" - of course a couple days ago he said "conversation about the streetcar is over."

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...nclick_check=1

We'll see where this goes, maybe the streetcar goes away, maybe not. But it's not over yet. BTW - when you have a stake in Cincinnati, let us know. It will add weight to your blathering.
Couldn't agree more. Let the drivel stay in Dayton.

This is Cranley's 3rd change on the streetcar in under a week. The streetcar will not just go away without a fight.

Last edited by isolace; 11-14-2013 at 03:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 03:04 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
You are about as full of hot air as little big-man, John Cranley. First off, it's not end of story. There have been two referendums where voters approved the street car, and now (Mr. Flip-Flop) the mayor elect says he "welcomes a referendum" - of course a couple days ago he said "conversation about the streetcar is over."

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...nclick_check=1

We'll see where this goes, maybe the streetcar goes away, maybe not. But it's not over yet. BTW - when you have a stake in Cincinnati, let us know. It will add weight to your blathering.
I agree Tom, there will be a referendum. And once again the pro-streetcar folks will win. Why? Because to cancel the streetcazr at this point is just plain asinine.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:19 PM

35 posts, read 53,002 times
The question remains: what will happen with the construction in the interim as it goes to a referendum?

What about the materials, workers, etc?

Hopefully the amount of time between stopping construction and having the voters approve the streetcar will be minimal.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:46 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,629 times
^ I suspect one payment will be made before Dec 1st.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:09 AM

368 posts, read 638,772 times
the streetcar will be moved to kenwood,where it has a chance to be successful..im only joking but a referendum will mandate funding the operating costs and that could be a burden to the taxpayers of cincinnati,the stadium deals are a drag on hamilton county and limit the whole regions ability to prosper..dont get me wrong..the reds and bengals are essential to cincinnati..i just think the whole stadium issue could have been done in a much better way..i hope rational decisions are made on this issue and i suspact a referendum will be very devisive and ultimatrely could lose and then even mor emillions could be lost

Old 11-15-2013, 06:11 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,543,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I agree Tom, there will be a referendum. And once again the pro-streetcar folks will win. Why? Because to cancel the streetcazr at this point is just plain asinine.
Admittedly, I am a bit ambivalent about the streetcar...not necessarily a supporter, but neither do I oppose it, however I did make the supreme effort, as some appear to regard it, to actually go out and vote. What I do get fed up with in this city and even the nation are "do-over" politics. It seems whenever some group doesn't get their way, we all have to vote on it, again, and again. We've already had two streetcar issues on the ballot, and the slate that was voted into office was a defacto vote on the streetcar. Now we want to vote on it again. To hell with representative government! I thought we left "do-overs" on the playground, but I guess not.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:30 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
Admittedly, I am a bit ambivalent about the streetcar...not necessarily a supporter, but neither do I oppose it, however I did make the supreme effort, as some appear to regard it, to actually go out and vote. What I do get fed up with in this city and even the nation are "do-over" politics. It seems whenever some group doesn't get their way, we all have to vote on it, again, and again. We've already had two streetcar issues on the ballot, and the slate that was voted into office was a defacto vote on the streetcar. Now we want to vote on it again. To hell with representative government! I thought we left "do-overs" on the playground, but I guess not.
I think there are more than a few who had reprehensions regarding the streetcar. But there is a time to argue and there is a time to just go ahead. You mentioned the two prior votes on the streetcar, which passed. Then the delays for one reason or another. Just when the project is making serious progress here comes this election to kill it. This will cause serious expenditures for Cincinnati with zero to show for it, a total waste. Complete it, for multiple reasons. (1) It was voted on and commited to by the citizens of Cincinnati, to kill it now just wastes their money. (2) It is a good barometer of the future of rail transport in the Cincinnati area, to kill it now just sets rail back another couple of decades.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:38 PM

682 posts, read 1,629,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
It's interesting to me that the two urban trends we've jumped on downtown - the skywalks and the downtown mall - have been utter disasters. So will this streetcar trend that we are apparently avoiding allow us to miss a third potential disaster or are we missing the boat completely?
And if you look at INDY just 100 miles away skywalks and their downtown mall is sucessful. I might add Indy has no streetcar.

What they have are a couple of 'line buses' that are circulator buses that run in small med loops and can take you from anywhere in the main downtown to white river park. The buses give them the flexibility to change and tweak the routes as needed.

Whats the big difference in Indy and Cincinnati and why is it sucessfull? They have worked very hard to Preserve, protect and restore not only their in downtown neighborhoods but near downtown areas like Holy Cross, Woodruff, Cottage home, Northside, Meridian Park etc and now they are working on bringing back even more neighborhoods even farther out like Fountain Square, Haughville and eastside neighborhoods farther out.

City leaders understood you can not have a vibrant city, and grow your urban population, without having more than ONE neighborhood. They didn't put all their eggs in one basket but rather created incentives and a cultures that embraced historic restoration. INDY was a disaster in the 1980's.. now they host superbowls.

We need to think in a more "plural manner" and not throw all our eggs in one basket(neighborhood). We should be working in Lower Price Hill, West End, eastside and westside to put programs and policies in place that encourage people to come in and RESTORE. Our permitting system here is a disaster and there are 3 seperate inspectors that cover the same neighborhoods. One for code issues on occupied buildings, one for vacant buildings plus the Permit inspectors. Other cities have 1 inspector covering an area, but this being a "good old boy city/keep those city employees fat" we have to spend two times as much and have three?

Indy which I'll be the first to admit can't hold a candle to Cincinnati Architectural just hosted the NATIONAL Historic Trust conference. Our preservation group here is a old lady red hat society.

We need leadership and frankly Mallory has done ZERO for neighborhoods other than OTR. Time to rock the boat and shake things up . If nothing else Cranley understands this with the Incline district. We just need to be developing on a larger scale.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:50 PM

865 posts, read 1,472,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationconsultant View Post
We need leadership and frankly Mallory has done ZERO for neighborhoods other than OTR. Time to rock the boat and shake things up . If nothing else Cranley understands this with the Incline district. We just need to be developing on a larger scale.
The absolute last thing Cincy needs is more developments like Cranley's development in the Incline District. It looks like an Eagle Scout's weekend project.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:49 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
RC -- good point about developing neighborhoods like lower and west end. i'd throw uptown area, walnut hills, fairmount and anything else within 3 miles of downtown into that basket. having a coherent development strategy for these places is absolutely possible. it would need to be based on individuals like you coming in and putting in sweat equity. you can't develop all these places with the corporate/buckets of money approach that was used for OTR. there just isn't enough money to go around. i do think OTR was huge for showing people that it is possible to turn around these old forgotten neighborhoods. only the oldest cincinnatians can even remember a time when these places weren't slums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati