Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2013, 10:09 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,019,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by enofile View Post
I was excitedly anticipating my December move to downtown Cincinnati as I felt the city's urban energy pulsating with a renaissance of development and growth.
The news of this election is depressing to someone who perceived of a "new" Cincinnati, with hip restaurants, art galleries, and a residential presence downtown. It was happening!

I certainly am not familiar with this new mayor and what he stands for, but to eliminate the streetcar is so detrimental to downtown development that I am amazed at this myopic outlook more reminiscent of the eighties and nineties than the 21st century. I was imagining a streetcar line connecting The Banks to Findley Market, and bragged to friends in New York, San Francisco and Chicago that I will be able to see an NFL game, listen to the symphony, watch the ballet, groove to cool live jazz, buy food at a huge city market, eat at a world class restaurant, attend the theater, all without using my car. No, I will not ride the bus. It simply does not have the panache of a streetcar, and busses are not cool.

The "new" downtown was going to be a great place and I was sure that empty nesters like myself would inject electricity and funds into urban Cincinnati helping it grow into a world class city. The potential was limitless. I hope my dream does not evaporate under this conservative political umbrella. My balloon was nicked. I hope it doesn't burst.
Please don't become dismayed and defensive by the recent criticisms of your preferences for streetcars over buses...

Your comments not only mirror much of the national feelings about same, but you nailed it, beautifully, why Cincinnati should also complete its own state-of-the-art streetcar network. Congrats; few people have expressed it so candidly and bluntly as you! These others say you reek of "classism" or "eliticism," but don't listen.

All their own posts do, like self-inflicted litmus-tests, are to remind people with class that they, themselves, have none nor know why people who possess class consider it of any importance. And, believe me, some of these sacrosanct individuals have never ridden an ordinary Metro bus in their entire lives--or they wouldn't be nearly so critical of Cincy's brand-new streetcars. Needless to say, these beautiful, game-changing vehicles will create their own "panache."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 10:45 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,847,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enofile View Post
I certainly am not familiar with this new mayor and what he stands for, but to eliminate the streetcar is so detrimental to downtown development that I am amazed at this myopic outlook more reminiscent of the eighties and nineties than the 21st century. I was imagining a streetcar line connecting The Banks to Findley Market, and bragged to friends in New York, San Francisco and Chicago that I will be able to see an NFL game, listen to the symphony, watch the ballet, groove to cool live jazz, buy food at a huge city market, eat at a world class restaurant, attend the theater, all without using my car. No, I will not ride the bus. It simply does not have the panache of a streetcar, and busses are not cool.
Quoted because I'm (almost) speechless. I appreciate your candor and honesty that so few others are willing to say, although they're probably thinking about at some level.

Because I think it encapsulates why the streetcar supporters have been pushing so hard for the past few years.

Mercifully, their time is over, and Cincinnati can finally get serious about tackling problems in the neighborhoods outside of CBD-OTR-CUF.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:53 AM

4,479 posts, read 6,230,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Mercifully, their time is over, and Cincinnati can finally get serious about tackling problems in the neighborhoods outside of CBD-OTR-CUF.
Nothing is over. But go ahead and gloat anyway. You are clueless when it comes to Cincinnati, well outside echoing COAST's crap.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Nothing is over. But go ahead and gloat anyway. You are clueless when it comes to Cincinnati, well outside echoing COAST's crap.
Hey, TJ123, tell it like it is! Glad to hear from you again and glad that you're telling it straight.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:56 PM

477 posts, read 664,381 times
Quote:
These are the neighborhoods that would attract people to the city, the architecture of this part of the city alone is highly unique for the midwest.

Unfortunately Cranely's statement focused on the Swifton Commons redo, the neighborhood that surrounds that is 1930s era suburbia which isn't where the back to the city movement is focused on in most cities that are ahead of Cincinnati on the gentrification curve.

Focus on saving the best assets, which IMO would also include what's left of (east) Walnut Hills, East/Lower Price Hill, The West End (brighton) and Camp Washington. All of these areas IMO would be ripe for gentrification anyways if the focus on OTR was so successful that it started to bleed into other neighborhoods - what's good for the core is good for the rest of the city - I've studied how this happens around the country and that's what happens - don't think Cincinnati is in some vacuum where this isn't possible.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:02 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
To get more people on public transit, you need to make it attractive to people who normally wouldn't ride. Trains work far better at this than buses do, based on studies. We may have an issue with the implications of that, but it's a reality.
I don't disagree with you. I was quite disappointed in the earlier part of the last decade when the light rail initiative failed. Trains are faster and have fewer stops. But that won't necessarily apply to a streetcar, which is basically a bus on rails and which operates in the same areas as buses.

I'm just baffled (and somewhat amused) about the assertion that buses are so "not cool"? Other than the nasty diesel exhaust; I'll give you that.

How is the streetcar's basic "cool" service and operation going to differ from "uncool" bus service? Will it be more frequent? Have fewer stops (which, given its route, wouldn't make any sense)? Have a different fare structure to keep out the riff raff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Needless to say, these beautiful, game-changing vehicles will create their own "panache."
Are they going to leave rainbows and unicorns and pots of gold in their wake? Because that would be awesome ... !

Old 11-11-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
...Needless to say, these beautiful, game-changing vehicles will create their own "panache."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
...Are they going to leave rainbows and unicorns and pots of gold in their wake? Because that would be awesome ... !
Actually (so I've been told) these Spanish-manufactured vehicles are all being equipped with wine-bars, clothing-boutiques, and beauty-salons, etc. Every one of them will be more opulent and splendid than any of those old Orient Express trains. (so I've been told)

Last edited by motorman; 11-11-2013 at 05:12 PM..

Old 11-11-2013, 05:33 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,581,393 times
Hey it could be worse. At least the Reds won't be moving to the suburbs like the Braves are.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:25 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Actually (so I've been told) these Spanish-manufactured vehicles are all being equipped with wine-bars, clothing-boutiques, and beauty-salons, etc. Every one of them will be more opulent and splendid than any of those old Orient Express trains. (so I've been told)
Dang. That'll tie up traffic ...

Old 11-11-2013, 07:37 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
Hey it could be worse. At least the Reds won't be moving to the suburbs like the Braves are.
No city in Ohio will ever suck as much as Atlanta. I do take comfort in that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati