Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 05:25 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,541,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Could we all please stop denigrating Parker Elementary and the children that attend that school? Thank you.

Why? First off, no one said anything about the kids that go there. Second, the fact is the school has been perennially in academic emergency. That is worthy of criticism, and explains why so many Oakley families have put up the "for sale" sign as soon as the kids are school age. Third, JP Parker is so far from the core of Oakley, that it felt unnatural and uncomfortable for parents to send their kids so far away for grade school. Hyde Park is much closer, even though it still isn't in the neighborhood, it is walkable from many parts of Oakley...certainly for adults, maybe even some older gradeschoolers.

With JP Parker out of the picture, I expect there to be much more stability in the Oakley population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I would hardly call Madeira an upscale version of Blue Ash.

I think it's an apt comparison. To begin with, Madeira lacks the industrial character that many parts of Blue Ash have. As a result of the industrial areas, there are many parts of Blue Ash that are decidedly lower middle income and a little rough around the edges. Madeira, on the other hand, is populated by a good number of Indian Hill wannabes, given its proximity to its more well-heeled neighbor. Blue Ash certainly has its high end sections, but it's not as evenly distributed as Madeira. Plus, as you yourself point out, there are a lot of overpriced, smallish mid-century homes in Madeira that wouldn't carry that price in most of Blue Ash.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:18 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,543,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut33 View Post
@Briolat21 - Exactly! Perhaps if I were from Cincinnati and really knew the areas well I wouldn't be so hesitant. Not knowing the area THAT well makes BUYING (commitment) in one of these neighborhoods seem risky. I think that's why I like Hyde Park/Mt Lookout because it doesn't seem to be so much that way. I guess you pay for that though. I do understand that a lot of the areas I don't necessarily feel comfortable with are likely perfectly safe, but at the end of the day I'm the one who has to live there. It seems like I'm just probably going to have to sacrifice on the commute and character and city living to get something I can afford where I feel comfortable. I just hope I don't have to go TOO far out for something in the $200k range, especially given that I'm willing to sacrifice space.

@progmac - I agree about the housing stock in Madeira generally. Although the area provides a good commute and has great schools, there isn't much there that is my taste.

@kjbrill - Thank you so much for the explanation of how Madeira developed. I have noticed that a lot of the more affordable homes are in the NE side of town but those really aren't my taste (and it sounds like not the best buy). The original Madeira you mentioned does seem nicer and has more sidewalks, but am I the only one who things that it's odd that there are random new craftsman style homes mixed into the neighborhood? I love craftsman style homes, but they seem out of place there to me.

Thanks everyone!
OP:

I know everyone hates to move (I do as well). However, I would always suggest renting or some other type of temporary housing while you adjust to a new area. Especially if you're from a distance and not familiar with the area. You'd be surprised what things aren't even on your radar right now that you might determine as critical after living here for a while.

As far as Cinci, overall its a fairly safe city compared to much larger/urban areas. Unfortunately, like many cities there is some gun violence in some neighborhoods. The "nice" neighborhoods (Hyde Park, et al) don't generally have those issues. Of course, Hyde Park is essentially a tony suburb that got swallowed into the city, so its more like living in the 'burbs any way.

Like many cities, there are drugs in certain areas, and there is crime (drug and other related) - so that's just the reality of living in any urban setting. The difference (to me) in Cincinnati is that the locals will tell you that 2 streets are good, and then the third street is AWFUL, but then if you magically skip to the 5th or 6th street - its GREAT!.

That's very confusing and difficult for a non-local to get in a short period of time.

I ended up choosing the burbs (though I was interested in parts of the city) - for many reasons, crime/safety being just a small part. I can't say I'm 100% satisfied where I'm at (I'm way out in the 'burbs), but I still don't know that I'd be happier in the city. (Though yes, Hyde Park is probably where we'd settle should I ever win the lottery).

Make a couple of trips to visit, and see if perhaps you can do an apartment for a while (or other rental) to allow you to really spend some time when you're looking to buy. Buying is not a decision that should be rushed.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:36 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
A couple of things I forgot to point out between Madeira and Blue Ash.

During its growth phases Madeira consciously discouraged businesses from locating there. They wanted a bedroom community and that is what they got. There is very little business tax revenue to support city services. Madeira struggles to keep costs in line, placing restrictions on such items as size and number of trash cans per pickup date. In addition to the support of the very good school system, property taxes in Madeira are high to cover the city services, which are not all that high grade. For example there is no community center. Other than a couple of indoor tennis facilities, which were built for the Indian Hill crowd, there is literally no exercise or workout facility available without going outside of the city.

Blue Ash did come into a windfall when they were the recipient of the land originally acquired by Cincinnati years ago for a new airport which was cancelled when CVG jumped the gun on them. Since the land was not within the actual boundaries of Cincinnati, it eventually became the large Blue Ash Industrial Park centered around Reed Hartman Highway. This is a very significant revenue generator for Blue Ash which keeps them flush and able to fund so many city amenities. Adjacent Montgomery would give their eye teeth for such a business tax vehicle. In addition to the Blue Ash Industrial Park there are some other pockets of industrial areas, primarily along Kenwood and Creek Rds on the north side of the city. A number of years ago Blue Ash basically demolished the original downtown area and rebuilt it with a consistent architectural design, more off-street parking, and public areas. This is basically where the Taste of Blue Ash event is held. Blue Ash has a quite new Recreation Center, and in the past two years completely rebuilt and expanded the clubhouse at the city-owned and highly regarded Blue Ash golf course turning it into an event center. Also recently Blue Ash purchased a major portion of the old Blue Ash Airport actually owned by the City of Cincinnati and is begining to convert it into a beautiful new Blue Ash Summit Park for public use. Surrounding municipalities look at Blue Ash with envy at their tax revenue base and everything they are capable of doing with it. All of this and the highly regarded Sycamore School District plus a short drive south to the Kenwood Towne Center, what more can you ask for? People from as far as Mason come to enjoy the summer outdoor concert series, the Taste of Blue Ash, the 4th of July Fireworks, etc. Some say Blue Ash lacks character, why do you need character when you have the money to support a host of activities for the citizens to enjoy?

Old 11-20-2013, 04:21 PM

114 posts, read 350,264 times
Are there areas besides those along the I-71 corridor that might be an easier commute from University Hospital? I think several people I work with live in Anderson and I've heard it can be less brutal than I-71. However, when I drove through Anderson, it seems like the houses aren't very well kept...maybe I was just in the wrong areas, but I felt like I covered a decent part.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:16 PM

I would have to say Oakley is definitely a shorter commute and most likely to have housing in your price range. It all hinges on finding a house consistent with your desires. Oakley has a good degree of walkability and is safe enough. And the nearby parks such as Ault, Alms, and Eden can be accessed for outdoor activites though they might require driving there and then enjoying the park on foot.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:15 PM

There is nothing about Anderson that is easier to get University Hospital than places along I-71. Anderson is landlocked. If you take a direct route, you have to drive through Oakley, Hyde Park, Mt Lookout, Mt Adams, Walnut Hills, or several other east side neighborhoods along I-71 to get to University Hospital. Whoever told you that Anderson was easier was seriously misinformed.

That said, you were definitely in the wrong part of Anderson. Generally, it's a middle to upper middle class area on the eastern end of Hamilton County. Search this board for threads on Anderson. There is some debate about which way it is going, but generally it's a good area, if you like suburbia and strip malls.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
There is nothing about Anderson that is easier to get University Hospital than places along I-71. Anderson is landlocked. If you take a direct route, you have to drive through Oakley, Hyde Park, Mt Lookout, Mt Adams, Walnut Hills, or several other east side neighborhoods along I-71 to get to University Hospital. Whoever told you that Anderson was easier was seriously misinformed.

That said, you were definitely in the wrong part of Anderson. Generally, it's a middle to upper middle class area on the eastern end of Hamilton County. Search this board for threads on Anderson. There is some debate about which way it is going, but generally it's a good area, if you like suburbia and strip malls.
I agree I cannot see Anderson being such an easy commute to University Hospital. If you are commuting to downtown, I can see two routes which make sense. If on the far eastern side of Anderson, take I-275 south across the river and then I-471 downtown. I can see this being efficient If closer to Mt Washington then Beechmont Ave to Columbia Parkway and downtown is not a bad route. The main attraction of Anderson is for downtown workers. The Forest Hills school district is good and property reasonably priced. The downtown commute is manageable. The people with kids who don't want to battle CPS have good reason to select this option. But for someone like the OP who is not concerned with actual schools, just resale value, I feel Anderson is a reach and no better commute wise than Madeira or Blue Ash. Having been raised in Madeira, lived there while I commuted to UC, and lived there several years after marriage commuting to Norwood, I can attest it beats Anderson to University Hospital hands down.

I have an older daughter living with us who for several years has commuted from Mason to a job in Hebron Ky near the airport. It was a straight shot down I-71 through downtown to I-75 south to I-275 and west to Hebron. This is about a 40 mile trip. Her alotted traveling time - 40 minutes. Of course there are always exceptions, like the freakish ice/snow storms we sometimes have. My advice to her has always been when you recognize one of these and the cars sliding all over the Cincinnati bridges, off the interstates into medians, guardrails, and each other, get off at the first exit you see a motel and spend the night. By the next morning, knowing Cincinnati, you will likely feel like you are on summer pavement. On rare occasions you may arise and realize we had a real snow which has not been cleared. Fine, just stay put, hopefully either the motel or nearby will have a restaurant where you can have a good breakfast, call the office and say hopefully I will see you tomorrow.

The same daughter is now totally disconbobulated. The company she works for has relocated from the Hebron area to the Eastgate area. This basically means from Mason you take the east I-275 route. If you think I-71 is bad, take the entire I-275 route around Cincinnati. This has to be one of the worst designed highways ever.

I applied the same attitude when I moved to Mason and worked in Norwood. On occasion I would get on the Kings Mills exit to I-71 and drive south. By the time I got to the Mason Montgomery Rd exit if it took forever due to stalled traffic, I witnessed fender benders due to stupid drivers, etc. I would exit gingerly and go to the Waffle House. After ordering the biggest breakfast they had, my combination breakfast and lunch, I would first call the company and tell them there was no way I would be there today. Then I would call the wife, tell her I was at the Waffle House and had no idea when I was leaving. When I see the Mason City trucks out here plowing, salting, and making this road safe to drive on I will consider driving home. This is a rare occurrence in Cincinnati, but it is real.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:10 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,296,891 times
To the OP:

I would seriously look at the region of Norwood close to the new University square development by Xavier(Cleneay, Hudson and environs). 180K can get you a beautiful house on a quiet street, and the neighborhood is stable and improving despite mediocre schools. The location is 5 minutes from the hospitals and is within walking distance of several existing restaurants as well as the host of new development that should start opening up next summer.

I am happy with my location in Amberley, but I have had my eye on a few houses in that area ever since I got divorced and my priorities shifted a bit. Norwood gets a bad rep sometimes, but this particular area is quite desirable. Besides, my girlfriend tells me that she wants to live in a house with a turret some day, so if I end up sticking with her my hand may be forced.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:45 AM

114 posts, read 350,264 times
t45209- I know I was definitely in Anderson. I'm just not sure I hit the best parts. Basically I drove around a little south of Beechmont, went up 8 mile, wound around a little and came back down 5 mile. I love the hills and the area is really pretty but even though the housing looked similar to what I've seen in say parts of Montgomery (the houses that I think look split level, although I don't think they are...I'm not sure what these are called), but the houses just didn't seem to be nearly as well maintained.

kjbrill - good to know about the commute to University. I guess people think it's an easier commute because maybe 275/471 doesn't get backed up like 71N/S? I cannot believe your daughter made it to Hebron in 40 minutes from Mason. When I commuted from Loveland it took me at least 30 minutes o get to around Taft and I generally tried to avoid rush hour. The way back was really more of the issue though. Completely unpredictable and hard to avoid the interstate. That's not even considering the days with bad weather.

Chemistry_guy - I will look into that area. Although, as I've said, I've generally hard bad things about Norwood, a turret sounds pretty sweet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati