Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 09:20 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,702,355 times

Advertisements

Paging the Brill.... any word on this joint?

Deerfield Twp. restaurant celebrates grand opening Jan. 6 | www.todayspulse.com

Quote:
A grand opening is set for Jan. 6 for Louie’s Taproom & Grill, a 285-seat restaurant-sports pub at 8267 Arbor Square Drive in Deerfield Twp.
Mason said Louie’s Taproom & Grill opened “softly” about six weeks ago in the space that formerly housed Willie’s Sports Bar & Grill off Mason-Montgomery Road near Kroger.
Louie’s has 60 beers on tap, “and we’ll soon have 100,” Mason said. He described the menu as “American Casual,” and it includes items such as Creole Grouper, Pasta Alfredo, Gator Bites, burgers, flatbread pizzas and fish and chicken “street tacos.”
My opinion (not having tried the place) is that from the description, the menu is too eclectic to get right, for a restaurant around Mason. The volume won't be there to make sure the food is great. I sadly predict many mediocre dishes instead of a few excellent ones. In other words this place sounds like it's spread too thin.

Just for an alternative to the burger wars discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 05:52 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
Paging the Brill.... any word on this joint?

Deerfield Twp. restaurant celebrates grand opening Jan. 6 | www.todayspulse.com

My opinion (not having tried the place) is that from the description, the menu is too eclectic to get right, for a restaurant around Mason. The volume won't be there to make sure the food is great. I sadly predict many mediocre dishes instead of a few excellent ones. In other words this place sounds like it's spread too thin.

Just for an alternative to the burger wars discussion.
I will have to get my review team working on it. This is the group of guys I meet with frequently on weekday afternoons at B-Dubs in Mason to quaff a few drafts. We stay with B-Dubs mainly due to good weekday afternoon beer prices and convenient location to many of us. We all agree B-Dubs food is terrible for the price, even the Buffalo Wings. But the way they have the bar segregated from the dining space catering to kids goes a long way to encourage families to come. In our mind one of the reasons they are so successful, families do not think twice about going there.

None of us thought much of Willie's Sports Bar & Grill, probably one of the reasons they are no longer there, which was in the location where the new place is. Louie's Taproom & Grill will certainly have to do a better job if they intend to stay around. I tend to agree with your opinion they may be spread too thin. The potential is there for good business if the service, quality, and price are right. But 60 beers on tap, let alone 100 is rediculous. Draft beer with go stale if it gets too old. Serve a customer stale beer and you are minus one customer. But I will get my review team on the job and report back.

Some other places in the Deerfield area have recently bit the dust, the most prominent in my mind being the Polo Grill, named after the Polo Field which used to occupy the property. The place is loaded with competition.

For now, I will stick with the Old Bag of Nails Pub in Mason. My wife and her Hen Club actually discovered this place when it first opened. At their age they go there for lunch, not to drink. They agree the fish & chips is the dish of the house. So now, if I am interested in going out for something good to eat at a reasonable price and still desire a draft beer with the food, I have to decide between Blue Ash Chili and Old Bag of Nails, both very close to me. Louie's Taproom & Grill will really have to show me something to wean me away from either one of these two places.

But as I said, I will solicit from my review team and report back with opinions and reasons.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:34 AM

31 posts, read 70,489 times
I didn't see it mentioned here but the Claddage Irish Pub right across the parking lot from the old Polo's is now closed

Old 01-04-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbe View Post
I didn't see it mentioned here but the Claddage Irish Pub right across the parking lot from the old Polo's is now closed
Yes, I agree. I just never kept track of the places, because in my opinion they were overpriced. Apparently many others felt the same. You may move into an affluent neighborhood, but that alone does not guarantee you success. Everyone wants to feel value for what they spend. If they feel value received OK, they will be back. If not in short order it will be sayorona. I don't believe in this regard it makes any difference whether you are in The Banks downtown or Deerfield/Mason where I live. People want value received.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:58 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,702,355 times
Whoa! Claddagh closed? GOOD RIDDANCE and SERVES THEM RIGHT. The food and the service were at "LOL" standards. A laugh... terrible crap food and horrible service. We walked out the last time we attempted to eat there.

I'm looking forward to informed opinions on the new Louie's place. I can't find too much online yet.

Also, check out Rusty Bucket. Which is pretty high priced for that kind of format. The one at the Dayton Mall is pretty good. This one gets horrible reviews.

Agreed that Bag of Nails pub is excellent.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:44 AM

30 posts, read 144,083 times
Anderson Township Pub is the only burger a Cincinnatian will need.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomearchie View Post
Anderson Township Pub is the only burger a Cincinnatian will need.
If you live in Anderson Twp. that may be true. But if you live in Mason, Quatman's Cafe is the place to go. And if Quatman's does not float your boat, try Old Bag of Nails, or the other many other establishments in the area, including the Mason Grill on Main St.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:25 PM

30 posts, read 144,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
If you live in Anderson Twp. that may be true. But if you live in Mason, Quatman's Cafe is the place to go. And if Quatman's does not float your boat, try Old Bag of Nails, or the other many other establishments in the area, including the Mason Grill on Main St.
I drive 40 minutes to ATP but will check those places out since I work in the NE burbs! Thanks for the rec!

Old 01-31-2014, 01:15 AM

5,162 posts, read 7,355,600 times
Apparently Frisch's Big Boy is no longer serving Coca-Cola products. Which is not a make or break for me, but seems to bother some people. And I would be happy if they offer Diet Mtn. Dew.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:30 AM

836 posts, read 1,661,886 times
5 guys is hype- it's juicy but not that tasty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati