Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 01:12 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,339 times

Advertisements

^CSA is not a metro. Thanks though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 03:47 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I agree. Seems like Clevelanders want to say Cincinnatians despire Cleveland. I feel it falls somewhere considerably short of that. I just remember Cleveland as somewhere with very little attractive to do and the city with the river which caught on fire! Not too many reasons to go there.

Many years ago, after the interstates were built and I had reasons to take business trips to such as Buffalo, Rochester NY, Toronto Canada, I would take I-71 north towards Cleveland and then take a big swing east. It never dawned on me to consider staying overnight in Cleveland, for what reason? I will admit to taking a few excursions down to the lake and some markets which had smoked lake trout. That is some good eating. But other than that, Cleveland and Cincinnati have really no reason to be envious of each other. They are at opposite ends of a Glorious State, and there is certainly room for both of us, the exception maybe being the Bengals and Browns.

The one thing Cleveland can not live down is how they (1) permitted Art Modell to push Paul Brown out of Cleveland, and (2) permitted Art Modell to take the Browns to Baltimore. We in Cincinnati may have out faults, but you in Cleveland own two of the biggest boondoggles of all time.
You do know the river fire was in 1969 and rivers in most industrial cities faced the same issue. A little blurb article in June 1969 and still hearing about it in December 2013. I mean if Dallas can live down the fact that it murdered Kennedy, hopefully Cleveland can with its small river fire. At least it prompted action leading to the Clean Water Act. You should what is happening in and along the Cuyahoga today; its improving by the year with development along ''The Banks''.

Can't think of any reason to visit Cinci either. Cleveland's football rivalry is Pittsburgh;much closer to CLE than CIN anyway and the Bengals weren't around until the '70s. Are the Browns the Bengals real rival down there? Might think the Colts would be since its only 100 from Cinci.

Last edited by Kamms; 12-18-2013 at 04:01 PM..

Old 12-18-2013, 03:58 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
You do know the river fire was in 1969 and rivers in most industrial cities faced the same issue. A little blurb article in June 1969 and still hearing about it in December 2013. I mean if Dallas can live down the fact that it murdered Kennedy, hopefully Cleveland can with its small river fire. At least it prompted action leading to the Clean Water Act. You should what is happening in and along the Cuyahoga today; its improving by the year with development along ''The Banks''.

Can't think of any reason to visit Cinci either. Cleveland's football rivalry is Pittsburgh; Bengals weren't around until the '70s. Are the Browns the Bengals real rival down there? Might think the Colts would be; isn't Indy closer to Cinci?
No, the rivalry are between teams in the same division. That puts the Browns, Bengals, Steelers, and Ravens square head on head. The Colts are at least in the same league and we have to play them from time to time, but it is the divisional rivalries which count.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
No, the rivalry are between teams in the same division. That puts the Browns, Bengals, Steelers, and Ravens square head on head. The Colts are at least in the same league and we have to play them from time to time, but it is the divisional rivalries which count.
That's true; what about Cinci's rivalry with Pittsburgh as a team. Or is it a Bengals-Browns thing?

Old 12-18-2013, 04:37 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,061,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Let's face it, jb--neither now nor well beyond 2015 will Columbus be in the running, economically, to become Ohio's #1 city--so why must you persist in making believe it will? And just why are you trying so hard to inject Columbus into a Cincinnati thread that is specifically tied to Cleveland?

If you truly believe that Cbus deserves its "place-in-the-sun," amongst Ohio's two premier cities, then why don't you initiate a thread specifically tied to Cbus' economic strengths (which are several) either in relation to either Cincinnati or Cleveland or both? (But, then again, accept that there will be strong disagreement.)
It's basic math, my friend. I know you've never been a big fan of numbers and what they mean, but if you follow out those on your link long-term, there's another conclusion where Cincinnati does not ultimately end up on top economically. You and others may be loathe to admit it, but there are actually 3 major cities in Ohio, and they're all pretty even right now. How it all plays out in the years ahead is going to be interesting.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INsync33 View Post
LOL
Lets just start by saying that Cincinnati is doing better financially and economically than cleveland, cincinnatians don't want anything to do with cleveland. Cincinnati is just growing faster, yes i know cleveland's downtown has improved to but cincinnati's downtown is ten times more vibrant than clevelands, you should go there on a work day or a saturday night the nightlife is incredible.
I forgot that Saks Department Store is leaving downtown. Unusual for a vibrant downtown to lose such a high-end presence. I just found out I have to be in Cinci in the next few months so I expect to see crowded street-life day and night. Hope I don't feel overwhelmed by the hordes.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INsync33 View Post
Actually Cleveland is currently at 9.3
Cincinnati unemployment rate 7.6%
Cleveland unemployment rate 9.3%
Columbus unemployment rate 6.1%
These stats look more like city unemployment rates; not the MSAs.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:13 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,061,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
These stats look more like city unemployment rates; not the MSAs.
MSA unemployment rates for October...

Cincinnati: 7.0%
Cleveland: 6.7%
Columbus: 6.1%

City unemployment rates for October...

Cincinnati: 8.1%
Cleveland: 8.2%
Columbus: 6.2%

Link: Civilian Labor Force Estimates Query

Old 12-18-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
MSA unemployment rates for October...

Cincinnati: 7.0%
Cleveland: 6.7%
Columbus: 6.1%

City unemployment rates for October...

Cincinnati: 8.1%
Cleveland: 8.2%
Columbus: 6.2%

Link: Civilian Labor Force Estimates Query
Ohio's 3Cs are all doing good considering the economic doldrums the country has been in and the higher rates in other MSAs. I know Chicago's is still pretty high; but rut-row...Cinci's MSA rate is higher than CLE's...lol...I'm outta here.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:56 AM

324 posts, read 402,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Commuting patterns are indeed part of the MSA designations, but there are other factors as well. Some people think they are arbitrarily drawn, but they're not. CSAs on the other hand...
MSA's are much more arbitrary than CSA's. Remember, there are political considerations involved in determining the boundaries for both. But CSA's are more of an apples to apples comparison. MSA's are apples to peanuts. This is why using Cleveland's MSA to represent the regional economy just doesn't make any sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati