Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 05:09 PM

3,836 posts, read 5,732,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Well, the Textile Industry in this country is gone. Went abroad. I think this proves my point. Good paying jobs have been replaced by cheap paying service industry jobs.

BTW. Do you even know anyone that owns a manufacturing company or at least works in a managerial capacity at one?

And since when does new technology equate with an advance in either lifestyle or in this case business? It is nothing of the sort. Look at how many computers (PC and main framses) malfunction on a daily basis. Leads to chaos at some companies and business comes to a grinding halt.
sigh. . .it's tiresome having to correct someone so confused. Where to start. . .where to start. . .

A step at a time, try to keep up.

1. Luddites were ENGLISH, not American textile artisans.

2. They protested technology - not cheap competition abroad.

3. Rise of technology has NOTHING to do with American not having a textile industry (if it did, America would be the leader). These are completely separate issues.

So, no your point has not been made.

4. Had Luddites had their way, the British textile industry would have been doomed hundreds of years before cheap labor over seas took it because the Luddites demanded the factories continue antiquated handlooming and smashed the automated looms.

As a parallel - you are suggesting that drones should be stopped to save delivery jobs.

This makes you a neo-luddite.

Keeping up? Should I use smaller words?

OK - finally - yeah, I know people who work for large manufactures including Boeing, Lockheed and other manufactures of highly technical and highly complex aircraft. They have fabulous jobs.

Oh, and I never made any claim that new technology ALWAYS equates with advances in lifestyle or business. But you'd have to be completely ignorant to not recognize that the sweep of history and advancement of technology has us capable of so much more productivity and afforded us tremendous leisures and luxuries that were beyond the grasp of people to even imagine, yet experience, not very long ago.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
I own three different brands of GPS for my car. All are not perfect when it comes to finding an address.

Sometimes they can be off as little as a hundred yards with an address and at other times they will be off blocks or even miles.
Sounds like you need new GPS. Sorry.

GPS can be accurate to inches. The US military has phased it out to make it slightly less accurate for defense purposes, but that has and is changing. In the last 5 years I've not seen a singly quality GPS that was off by more than a few feet, let alone yards, yet alone blocks or miles.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:32 PM

682 posts, read 1,622,472 times
Drones are already in use for lots of things. Ive been using a small helicopter type drone with camera for over a year. If I need to check out the condition of a roof or flashing or to see if a chimney needs tuckpointing or for that matter if the gutters are clogged up, I just power it up and review the video feed.

Saves me a lot of time not on a ladder!

Old 12-08-2013, 06:56 PM

6,295 posts, read 11,005,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
sigh. . .it's tiresome having to correct someone so confused. Where to start. . .where to start. . .

A step at a time, try to keep up.

1. Luddites were ENGLISH, not American textile artisans.

2. They protested technology - not cheap competition abroad.

3. Rise of technology has NOTHING to do with American not having a textile industry (if it did, America would be the leader). These are completely separate issues.

So, no your point has not been made.

4. Had Luddites had their way, the British textile industry would have been doomed hundreds of years before cheap labor over seas took it because the Luddites demanded the factories continue antiquated handlooming and smashed the automated looms.

As a parallel - you are suggesting that drones should be stopped to save delivery jobs.

This makes you a neo-luddite.

Keeping up? Should I use smaller words?

OK - finally - yeah, I know people who work for large manufactures including Boeing, Lockheed and other manufactures of highly technical and highly complex aircraft. They have fabulous jobs.

Oh, and I never made any claim that new technology ALWAYS equates with advances in lifestyle or business. But you'd have to be completely ignorant to not recognize that the sweep of history and advancement of technology has us capable of so much more productivity and afforded us tremendous leisures and luxuries that were beyond the grasp of people to even imagine, yet experience, not very long ago.
Look at what the nuclear industry is doing to the world. The point is the same regardless of where the jobs were lost.

What people like you fail to grasp is that an economy is a lot like an ecosystem. Fragile. I has many interwoven parts that integrate well together to form a food chain of sorts. Right now the middle class, lower middle class and even the working poor are being squeezed out of their jobs and also homes. Many of these people do not possess the ability or skills to take on more advanced jobs.

You sir are more ignorant than you realize. And a a condescending elitist to boot.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:02 PM

I should add that Forest Gump er Gore claimed NAFTA and GATT were going to really help create new jobs in this country. Well, these drones are going to create chaos in the skies and on our streets.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Sounds like you need new GPS. Sorry.

GPS can be accurate to inches. The US military has phased it out to make it slightly less accurate for defense purposes, but that has and is changing. In the last 5 years I've not seen a singly quality GPS that was off by more than a few feet, let alone yards, yet alone blocks or miles.
There is no such thing as a GPS that is 100 percent perfect all the time. Doesn't exist. The shift in the earth's crust leads to changes in global positioning almost daily. If updates are not make and are not accurate then you should be able to see what will happen.

The Germans were very proud of their V1 and V2 rockets. Anyone that knows history realizes way too many did not hit their intended targets.

Another thing to ponder. People are going to learn how to hack into the guidance system of these drones and they may not only be skyjacked but could easily be redirected to hit people or buildings.

And what if a customer needs a box put inside the door or on a doorstep out of the way of weather? Doubt a drone can do that.

Bad idea all around.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:00 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,279,630 times
It will be here in a decade. I see it working something like this:
-a (possibly driverless) truck drives into the neighborhood and releases a dozen (or more) drones up into the air.
-houses equipped with special mailboxes in the windows have RF transmitters that exchange navigation and "signature" info with the drones.
-drones fly back to the truck and pick up the next package.

This is not even new tech. The only thing missing is inexpensive batteries that can be rapidly charged. When I worked at a national lab I went to a number of DARPA meetings, and the stuff that they were working on, 6 years ago, was generations past this. I estimate drone delivery of small packages and takeout food will be here in a decade, and in twenty years there will be drones delivering heavy packages and possibly even airlifting injured people to hospitals. There might even be personal assistant drones that go to the store and do shopping for you.

The tech will come to other countries before the US because of political pressure from teamsters or other unions, but they won't be able to delay the implementation long.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:17 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,688,997 times
In addition to what you say, Chemistry_Guy, I guess it could work - by performing extensive inventories of all structures in a flight path, utility wiring and fixtures, etc. - all obstructions that can be encountered - and databasing the information in order to feed into onboard computers on the drones that pilot them automatically. In other words, you'd need extensive mapping of the typical city or suburban environment, in 3D, as part of the flight control. Yeah, sensors should be able to take care of it. But from a legal viewpoint you reduce liability risks as much as possible.

Regarding the rude trolling about the term Luddite - "Luddite" has become the standard retort for pushback against any technology for any reason. Stating that it's only about employment is ridiculously narrow. The colloquial understanding of Luddite among those I have corresponded with and read is that it is used to mean anti-technology advancement.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
There is no such thing as a GPS that is 100 percent perfect all the time. Doesn't exist. The shift in the earth's crust leads to changes in global positioning almost daily. If updates are not make and are not accurate then you should be able to see what will happen.

The Germans were very proud of their V1 and V2 rockets. Anyone that knows history realizes way too many did not hit their intended targets.

Another thing to ponder. People are going to learn how to hack into the guidance system of these drones and they may not only be skyjacked but could easily be redirected to hit people or buildings.

And what if a customer needs a box put inside the door or on a doorstep out of the way of weather? Doubt a drone can do that.

Bad idea all around.
You're comparing the first rockets made, 60 year old technology, in an era before computers and satellite communications, in an era where everything was analogue, where they took their best guess at trajectory...to modern GPS systems? Wow.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:33 PM

These things will be just like scud missiles. Wait to see how they work in heavy rain, high wind, hail or snow.

Modern Guidance systems are not 100 percent accurate. Ask anyone in the Navy just how accurate those Guided Missile systems are.

I am hardly anti technology. Just poorly thought out technology. These drones will get hit by lightning, grounded by the afformentioned weather problems and will suffer from mechanical breakdowns that will lead to a myriad of problems.

And what about the potential for violating a person's private property? Only a collectivist that looks down on personal rights or freedoms could possibly like this concept. Those things are going to fly over your property, in it etc. Get ready for some lawsuits when they hit things they should not, scare pets and buzz people etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati