U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 12:03 PM

8 posts, read 6,104 times

Advertisements

Currently am living on the outskirts of an upstate NY college town, under 20,000 pop. Moving to Cincinnati in a month, will be house hunting for the family which won't be following until June-July period.

Wouldn't mind living close to the city, but am open to locales up to a 30 minute commute from Xavier University.

Wife and I are late 30s, one daughter in 5th grade. Have three dogs, two of which are beagles... that necessitates a fenced property (or optionally we can install an invisible fence). Drive two cars.

Would like to avoid sketchy/crime prone areas. Reputable schools a must. Proximity to parks (dog or human), bike trails, shopping would be pluses. We've tended to be homebodies, but only because our current environment lacks much that the Cincy area offers.

Home budget in the 100-200k range.

I've heard nice things about Oakley, Blue Ash, Mason and Lebanon. They all have picturesque areas but it's hard to gauge the area without visiting.

Any ideas? I can certain provide more answers if I've not provided sufficient info.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 02:16 PM

2,886 posts, read 3,956,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinz_clortho View Post
Currently am living on the outskirts of an upstate NY college town, under 20,000 pop. Moving to Cincinnati in a month, will be house hunting for the family which won't be following until June-July period.

Wouldn't mind living close to the city, but am open to locales up to a 30 minute commute from Xavier University.

Wife and I are late 30s, one daughter in 5th grade. Have three dogs, two of which are beagles... that necessitates a fenced property (or optionally we can install an invisible fence). Drive two cars.

Would like to avoid sketchy/crime prone areas. Reputable schools a must. Proximity to parks (dog or human), bike trails, shopping would be pluses. We've tended to be homebodies, but only because our current environment lacks much that the Cincy area offers.

Home budget in the 100-200k range.

I've heard nice things about Oakley, Blue Ash, Mason and Lebanon. They all have picturesque areas but it's hard to gauge the area without visiting.

Any ideas? I can certain provide more answers if I've not provided sufficient info.

Thank you!
Based on what you're asking about, Blue Ash is the best bet of the areas you mentioned and will provide the excellent public schools (Sycamore School District) and reasonably quick commute to Xavier you're looking for. Homes in your price range will be older (think post-WWII) and smaller, but it should be no problem finding a decent sized yard for your dogs. Talk to a realtor (maybe someone can recommend one to you via a private message, advertising isn't allowed here) and although it may take a few months, they should be able to find you something.

Mason and Lebanon are pointlessly far away, and although Oakley is very convenient to XU, the housing there has gotten pricy as the neighborhood has become a magnet for Millennials and other younger home buyers. You also would need to navigate the large Cincinnati Public school district, where the quality of neighborhood schools is uneven and getting into the magnet/specialty schools can be a hassle.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:43 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,377,243 times
30 minutes will take you a long way commute wise in Cincinnati. Even Mason is within 30 minutes of Xavier, though I think you can find something closer.

Blue Ash certainly has the school district and also the closer commute, but may be a problem in your price range. But exhaust what is available in Blue Ash, Montgomery, and Symmes Township, all in Sycamore School District, before venturing further. Home prices will vary considerably as the areas grew in spurts.

In addition to Blue Ash, I would recommend Pisgah, just north of I-275 in Butler County, Lakota Schools, mainly older sprawling ranches on larger lots, plenty of room for those dogs. The ranches there will also be predominantly post-WWII, but were well built, with large basements providing the family room, rec room, etc. facilities found in newer construction. Was a favorite location for people relocating to Cincinnati to work at the GE Large Jet Engine facility in Evendale.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:59 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,788,734 times
Your best bets were already suggested, but take a look at Newtown and Anderson Twp. too.

Newtown in particular may be a good fit because it is a small town close to Cincinnati, so lots of houses with fenced yards and parking. Also is about 15 minutes to Xavier, and is right on the southern tip of the Little Miami River bike trail, which is among the state's best:

Little Miami Scenic River Bike Trail - Loveland Bike Trail - Ohio Bike Trails - Mountain Bike Trails - Bicycling in Ohio

Good luck!

Old 12-28-2013, 05:35 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,025,683 times
I have no additional advice for you, but I like the Ghostbusters reference.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:04 PM

Thanks for the advice (and glad you liked the reference t45209)!

I might be back for another round when I narrow my areas down a bit more.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:10 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,377,243 times
A couple of places I would avoid. Number 1 is Madeira. Ironically I grew up there, and loved it. Great schools, still are. But the majority of the houses are small on 50' by 150' lots. As much as they were great when I grew up well over 60 years ago, they are now way over priced!

I have the same feeling relative to Oakley. It was a blue-collar neighborhood which somhow has become a magnet area for young professionals. Can't quite understand why. Why is a neighborhoood which was definitely blue-collar suddenly become one of the most desirable close-in enclaves of Cincinnati? Or is it just because there is nowhere else to go?

Old 12-29-2013, 06:26 PM

My wife is deadset on Madeira so I will pass that consideration on.

Any thoughts on Fairfield, Loveland or Colerain? Those have come up recently in searches.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:02 PM

2,886 posts, read 3,956,094 times
If you're going to be working at XU, none of those choices seem to me to make any sense. Although Colerain Township is very large and its far-northwest, rural reaches have beautiful terrain and are not yet experiencing any decline, a lot of other areas of the township are on a pretty rapid downward trajectory. Loveland is a desirable area, but would offer you no real benefits over any of the other places already discussed, unless you found an ideal home there and were willing to take on a longer commute than from, say, Blue Ash. The notion of Fairfield seems totally off the wall. It's a relatively bland place of extensive suburban sprawl, a just-okay school system, and would not be a convenient location for you in any respect I can think of.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:07 PM

Sarah, thanks - didn't know anything about these areas, except they all seemed long shots at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati