Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 03:26 PM

50 posts, read 77,849 times

Advertisements

Thank you, immersed. I can certainly relate to treating the tournament as a holiday, especially growing up in NC. Lots to think about. In many ways, Cincy does seem to be the logical choice, but I'm excited about my job in Minneapolis (they're the same job, but different support and resources). Some one told me recently that I seem to be more excited about TC but that the Cincy position seemed to be the logical decision. Anyway, I really appreciate everyone's input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 04:45 PM

224 posts, read 297,352 times
I had considered moving to the Twin Cities after college, but opted for Cincy b/c I have family here. I think you'll find the Twin Cities to be more progressive, if that's your thing, but you'll find Cincy's weather to be more tolerable (except for this Monday & Tuesday, of course :-) ). I'm in my mid-40s and I'm finding that the older I get, the less tolerance I have for winter, so I guess overall it's a good thing I passed on Minn. - St. Paul back in the 20th century.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:05 PM

47 posts, read 89,633 times
Great post.. To the OP, I don't think you can go wrong with either metro.

Having lived in the TC metro for ten yrs, I really think the city is one of the cleanest large metro areas. I'd move back in a heartbeat but for the simple fact, been there done that, looking for new experience. And for that reason and I am tired of cold winters, I am seriously considering Cincy.

Rod in Fargo

Old 01-22-2014, 09:59 AM

3 posts, read 3,015 times
I didn't see any replies addressing the Single and Mormon issue:

For friends and spouse prospects (if you're looking): There are more Church members in the Twin Cities than in Cincinnati, particularly YSA.
But, plenty of people meet their spouse here.
There are also lots of events and opportunities to meet YSA from and in Lexington, Louisville, Columbus, and Indianapolis (all are ~90 minutes away, Columbus is a bit farther).
The Midwest in general isn't a YSA hub, but you can definitely find people.
For the Church in general: The Church in CIncinnati goes back a long time and there are some really neat Wards here. After moving here, I am so glad to be able to serve in my callings and be needed (no "Ward hymn chooser" callings here!) It's definitely all hands on deck.

Lastly, this isn't a Church issue, but the Cost of Living is AMAZING in Cincy compared to the Twin Cities. If you're getting the same salary, you are taking home a lot more of it in Cincinnati.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:17 AM

I just read through the thread and see someone did a little bit of research on the Mormons of Cincy, to which I will add that before I moved here native Cincinnatians RAVED about their Church experience here.
They just loved the opportunities to serve in Wards growing up but also appreciated the reality that Mormons aren't a dominant religious group.

Many of the Mormons I knew here and from here were arts lovers (there are two people in my Ward who are grads of the Conservatory here) and plays, opera, symphonies, art, etc. are a regular and much-vetted aspect of Cincy living.

If you're single, there are more than enough older LDS folks who have a nice niece for you to meet
I'm only sort of kidding (and I have awesome available friends myself, haha). But I moved here because it's a nice place to raise a family but also because the Church has good, big Wards who are heavily involved in their community. There are also many accomplished/prominent LDS businesspeople here which is nice!

If you'll be working in the 'burbs, you can live in a great Ward full of people your age or live somewhere like Hyde Park and be in a cool Ward that covers everything from Over The Rhine (up-and-coming gentrified hip and trendy district near downtown) to Indian Hill (which is really wealthy, old money and full of sprawling mansions on acreage). But that's all one Ward! Cincinnati is cool like that.

I can't say enough about how charming and cool it is to be close to many historic cities all while saving because the Cost of Living can't be beat!

Old 01-22-2014, 03:34 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
^^^ Still trying to figure out whether the comments concerning Mormons in the Cincinnati Area are positive or negative? I hope they are positive, as I believe no specific religion is going to be vilified in Cincinnati today. We are a pretty tolerant group. But anywhere you go there is going to be agnostic beliefs and challenges against any church. Doesn't really belong in a city versus city debate however. But then everything else ends up there.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
^^^ Still trying to figure out whether the comments concerning Mormons in the Cincinnati Area are positive or negative? I hope they are positive, as I believe no specific religion is going to be vilified in Cincinnati today. We are a pretty tolerant group. But anywhere you go there is going to be agnostic beliefs and challenges against any church. Doesn't really belong in a city versus city debate however. But then everything else ends up there.
Oh, it's a positive thing! My apologies if I made Cincy seem anything less than friendly to people of all backgrounds.

And for Mormons, a city vs city debate does factor especially if you're single. Mormons 18+ attend congregations for JUST single members (so we can meet and marry!). Cities like Washington DC, where there are 4 huge singles congregations are a draw for Mormons.
Places like Cincy or the Twin Cities would require some "inside scoop" type of info from locals so that single members of the Church like our OP here would know whether or not there are many fellow single Mormons to befriend (and maybe marry). Minneapolis has a larger single Mormon population, but Cincinnati has some, too. And there are many opportunities here in Cincinnati that the Church offers to meet singles from Lexington, Louisville, Indiana, Columbus, etc. that make meeting fellow Mormons possible and set the experience apart from Minneapolis from a Mormon perspective. And whether there are a lot of Mormons in the Midwest isn't directly related to the size of the city. Chicago has a surprisingly small number of single Mormons considering the size of the city and Ann Arbor, MI and Columbus, OH have a surprisingly high number of single Mormons (more than those who attend the universities). So, it's that sort of on-the-ground intel that our OP might want when weighing a city if seen through the Mormon lens and if meeting and marrying a Mormon is important (which our OP said it was).

For Mormons, being in the majority is a plus for some and a minus for others. Mormons are mostly concentrated in the Western U.S. so being Mormon in Ohio/Northern KY is a different experience and not being one of many Mormon families on the block was something that my friends who grew up in The Queen City loved. Again, nothing but good things to say about Cincy, I apologize if my prior comment was seen as negative.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:52 PM

50 posts, read 77,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltzing1985 View Post
Oh, it's a positive thing! My apologies if I made Cincy seem anything less than friendly to people of all backgrounds.

And for Mormons, a city vs city debate does factor especially if you're single. Mormons 18+ attend congregations for JUST single members (so we can meet and marry!). Cities like Washington DC, where there are 4 huge singles congregations are a draw for Mormons.
Places like Cincy or the Twin Cities would require some "inside scoop" type of info from locals so that single members of the Church like our OP here would know whether or not there are many fellow single Mormons to befriend (and maybe marry). Minneapolis has a larger single Mormon population, but Cincinnati has some, too. And there are many opportunities here in Cincinnati that the Church offers to meet singles from Lexington, Louisville, Indiana, Columbus, etc. that make meeting fellow Mormons possible and set the experience apart from Minneapolis from a Mormon perspective. And whether there are a lot of Mormons in the Midwest isn't directly related to the size of the city. Chicago has a surprisingly small number of single Mormons considering the size of the city and Ann Arbor, MI and Columbus, OH have a surprisingly high number of single Mormons (more than those who attend the universities). So, it's that sort of on-the-ground intel that our OP might want when weighing a city if seen through the Mormon lens and if meeting and marrying a Mormon is important (which our OP said it was).

For Mormons, being in the majority is a plus for some and a minus for others. Mormons are mostly concentrated in the Western U.S. so being Mormon in Ohio/Northern KY is a different experience and not being one of many Mormon families on the block was something that my friends who grew up in The Queen City loved. Again, nothing but good things to say about Cincy, I apologize if my prior comment was seen as negative.
I'm really really thankful for your response. I'm def interested in the single Mormon scene and I really appreciate your perspective. Feel free to PM me and perhaps we can talk further.

I mentioned the Mormon thing just so that you might have a better idea of me. I didn't mean for that part to become a part of the discussion.

Thanks everybody. I have only a week to make my final decision. It's going to be a tough one.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:15 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packwanderer View Post
I'm really really thankful for your response. I'm def interested in the single Mormon scene and I really appreciate your perspective. Feel free to PM me and perhaps we can talk further.

I mentioned the Mormon thing just so that you might have a better idea of me. I didn't mean for that part to become a part of the discussion.

Thanks everybody. I have only a week to make my final decision. It's going to be a tough one.
No need to apologize. Your religion is a major portion of your life. Glad to see some people respond with comments in your area of concern. Except for the past two weeks, we normally have much milder winters than the TC. But this winter is proving to be extraordinary, or just plain BAD.

Good luck in your decision. If it is Cincy Welcome. If it is the TC enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati