Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 04:48 PM

526 posts, read 1,482,106 times

Advertisements

All the demographic statistics are interesting but in the end analysis they are worthless. The most important statistic is the percentage of students who actually graduate. That statistic may explain many of the others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 06:51 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,083,919 times
Maybe I made some brash assumtions and I appologize to anyone I've offended. I don't know the history of Cincinnati, but I know that there are racial tensions and the sub-suburbs extend pretty deep into Indiana and Kentucky because of "white flight" from the city. Like many cities, this phenomenon prevents viable public transit and increases fuel consumption and reliance on Mid-East oil. (another problem with the suburbs)
Mircea, do you think the city's infrastructure would have collapsed if higher income earning people didn't flee the city?
I don't have children, but I just can't see the justification for using these racial demographics. Someone please tell me how this report is useful...

Old 12-10-2007, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
I just can't see the justification for using these racial demographics. Someone please tell me how this report is useful...
You are exactly correct, racial demographics shouldn't be important. The rediculus fact about various institutions, particularly educational institutions, is that is the MOST important statistic - more important than graduation rates. If a school system does not have the right number of certain people, it can be subject to all sorts of sanctions including forced busing.

An interesting side bar to this subject is: Cincinnati Public seemed to be holding its own until the school board decided it needed a minority superintendent in the worst way - and got it. She was so incompetent that the board was forced to buy out her contract.

Much to the dismay of these bigots, the most qualified person in the school system administration to replace Ms. Powell was a white male.

After stemming the precipitous decline of the school system, the board reluctantly recognized his accomplishment but at first insisted that he would only be a temporary superintendent because they were still trying to find a minority or female for that position.

If memory serves, the board finally relented and made the white guy the permanent super.

Unfortunately too many people still judge others by the color of their skin rather than the content of their character.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:29 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,083,919 times
I've been from Chicago to Shreveport and Key West clear up to Maine and have seen alot in between. Few places have the racial tension that Cincinnati has. I am white, I'm not speaking as a victim of discrimination, but I have heard comments that break my heart from people who assume I share their racist views. I know Cincinnati has alot of controversy around affirmative action. Remember, there are people alive still who are from a generation when "seperate but equal" segregation was the institution, we've got alot to fix.
I suppose it's a self perpetuated cycle. White people look down on black people and discriminate, and black people remain in the economic disadvatage (with all the issues that accompany poverty) and negative stereotypes are reaffirmed, causing more racism.
I hope your fine city will resolve these issues.
And to answer the question "what kind of racist city elects a black mayor and city council?" - a city where most of the white people have left the city limits.
Thank you everyone who posted.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
I know Cincinnati has alot of controversy around affirmative action.
I agree that Cincinnati is much more segregated than many other places. I have occasion to visit relatives in large cities and am amazed at the divesity within the neighborhoods.

As for affirmative action though, it has been well documented that affirmative action actually hurts minorities more that it helps. Take the example I gave above wrt Lee Etta Powell (the minority woman school superintedent who, through her bumbling incompetence, presided over a terrible decline in Cincinnati Public Schools).

Now - who do you think this decline in public education hurt most? Middle class whites with the means to move to other school systems (read Oak Hills, Lakota, Mason) and/or put their children in private schools, or poor inner city black parents?

Wouldn't it have been better for all concerned if the Cincinnati School Board would have selected the most qualified candidate for the job? Everyone would have received a better education and white flight would have slowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati