U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 08:25 PM

4,842 posts, read 12,504,500 times

Advertisements

7-Eleven is taking over the world. They even have stores in Japan!
But during the Sohio era the largest Cincinnati convenience store chain was King Kwik. They were "all over the map." In the suburbs and quieter city neighborhoods King Kwik stores, just like United Dairy Farmers, were closed by midnight and sometimes well before then. But in areas near an expressway or hospital - for instance - they were doing business 24-7. So one of their ad slogans was a jab at UDF: "We're there when you need us." Every Queen City native who's forty or older will never shake those King Kwik commercials from their heads. An actor dressed not too much differently than the (in)famous kid-show host "Uncle Al" filmed all the ads twice, then the producers would create a "split screen" commercial so it appeared that he was twins - who were known as the Kwik Brothers. The other motto for the stores, "Kwik in, Kwik out" started or ended plenty of jokes back in the day. One suitable for including in a family-friendly forum was, "Why do hold-up men love robbing King Kwiks?" By the start of the '80s many King Kwiks closed while others were re-branded "Circle K," of which I believe there may still be a few.
Of course all this was when no one had gotten the idea to plop a convenience store on every gas-station lot instead of a business office and repair garage. Not to mention putting gas pumps outside lots of supermarkets!

As for the night spot on (Old) Colerain, my mind's too full of King Kwik jingles to pull up its name. But my hunch is that this is the club which - in a bold move since it wasn't in Newport - started featuring (ahem) "exotic" dancers when the disco craze was on the wane. One of the guys who often headlined went by the name Jeremiah (with various spellings) Shastid. His family had immigrated from some Middle Eastern country or other in his childhood, so his actual surname probably wasn't that much different than what he was known by. Anyway, a friend of mine at college in Indiana hailed from that part of the world and was acquainted with "Jeremiah." He thought he'd be able to score social points by dropping that name and bragging that he could get people into the place. Big mistake! "You know a male stripper! Classy dude!!!" (LOL) Even with an added entertainment option, the place fell on hard times and started making the papers for income that wasn't accounted for - shall we say. Then, funny how these things happen, the building mysteriously went up in flames.

While on a west-side night spot scandal roll, let's also air out the "West Side Story" story. During the years when all cool people were doing the hustle 'cause that's the way (uh huh uh huh) they liked it, a prosperous local restaurateur bought a building located on Cheviot Rd near North Bend, maybe vice versa, and opened a disco. Few if any guys ever met a girl named Maria there. But West Side Story was a clever name for a place situated on that side of town. Word soon got out on the teen-age wire, no less quickly and reliably than Twitter does today, that getting carded was never a problem there. So if another long-gone and notorious club in Greenhills was too crowded, or "not happening," Plan B (at least in my part of town) was to drive out to Monfort Heights. A few weeks before their senior year in high school was to begin, two kids did just that and only one made it home. After knocking back a goodly quantity of beers at West Side Story, they sped around aimlessly for a while before deciding to return to familiar territory. The driver lost control on one of Montana Ave's curves and smashed into a tree, killing the passenger instantly. What made matters worse: the owner of the club, and the boy who died, lived on the same block. This happened in July of 1979 if anybody wants to dig for the accounts. And this is also a hint to our photo poster to find some "now, then, and way back when" pics of where North Bend Rd takes its bend to the east.

I have my doubts that the photo showing a crossroads, with a railroad under construction toward the upper left, is really of the Race/Bridgetown intersection. If it is, where's Ron's Roost? Huh? Hasn't it always been there?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 06:13 AM

37,701 posts, read 67,327,429 times
Here you go, Goyguy:

King Kwik Commercial Montage (1970's) - YouTube

Old 02-13-2014, 11:36 AM

31 posts, read 58,787 times
West Side Story. Now that was a place to behold. It was on the lower level of the strip mall. My most vivid memory was when my friend & his buddy were employed as bouncers. One night his buddy actually got bit by Red's pitcher Pedro Bourbon during a fight. Does anyone remember the club or restaurant with the big flaming torchs outside in that strip mall?

Old 02-14-2014, 07:12 PM

1,718 posts, read 3,103,175 times
This link shows a bunch of photos along the C&O. Some of them I have already posted.

coi - Chessie-QueengateYard-Front02-200lu

Old 02-17-2014, 01:40 PM

^Avalon Theatre in Cleves.

^Coaling tower at Cheviot Yard, 1978

^Sign for Hoinke Lanes, across from Seton

^Harrison Ave, 1981 (Stone's restaurant is the first building on the left)

^Lost Bridge at Lawrenceburg and Miamiview Rd.

2389 Queen City Ave.

^Trestle at Glenway and Bridgetown, Aug. 10th, 1981

^Werk Rd. overpass Feb. 18th, 1981

^Werk Rd. overpass today

Old 03-02-2014, 12:49 PM

A bunch of new photos!

^West End, probably not long after Union Terminal was built

^Cheviot Yard, December 1972

^C&O over Wesselman, August 1968

^Cheviot Yard incinerator

Fergueson Drive in, March 1988

^Fergueson Drive in, 1981

^Harrison Ave over Great Miami

^Harrison Ave over Great Miami

Something of note: The temporary bridge put in place until a new bridge was built to replace this one collapsed, killing at least two people.

^Looking north on Colerain at Galbrith, 1910 (this now sees 50,000 cars per day)

Old 03-02-2014, 12:55 PM

^Original trestle in South Fairmount

^Original trestle in South Fairmount

^Pre lost bridge at Lawrenceburg and Miamiview

The following are of the trestle at Glenway and Bridgetown, ~1984

^Trestle over Glenway by Western Bowl, built in 63, torn down in 84.

Wesselman Rd. trestle, January 19th, 1981

Old 03-02-2014, 06:17 PM

4,842 posts, read 12,504,500 times
Had to "LOL" over seeing the "waterbed warehouse" sign on Glenway. Talk about a fad that's dead and buried and likely to never be seen again. Waterbeds did give you a good night's sleep and were fun to, uh, play on though.
Approaching Miamitown from the east on Harrison Pike now probably involves driving across a concrete deck bridge with low and plain barriers on either side. I miss those old iron/steel structures which looked fancy and made you feel as though you were on a bridge. (Sort of like how schools built before WWII look like schools, as opposed to the concrete/brick hulks with tiny windows and central air conditioning - which could pass for warehouses - that are found in the newer suburbs.) Crossing bridges was also more fun when the roadbed "sang." But this kind of nostalgia is easy to have since I never experienced the "joy" of skidding across rain- or ice-slicked metal into oncoming traffic or even over the side. And some spans like the Suspension (prefaced with "Roebling" if you must) Bridge still offer those sensations.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:14 AM

213 posts, read 612,685 times
Great pictures. Was that the old "downtown" Riverside in the picture of River Road facing west towards Anderson Ferry where a road veers off 50 for a minute and then back on? To this day it still looks kind of like an abandonded old town square to me. I always wondered if there were businesses at one time in that area. There are still a few abandoned buildings there that looked like old businesses.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:47 AM

14,223 posts, read 9,402,557 times
Interesting series of photos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati