U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2014, 07:30 PM

528 posts, read 576,624 times

Advertisements

My wife and I were discussing this at dinner this evening. Does anyone remember what the name of Martin Luther King Drive was before it was changed?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 09:38 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,931,493 times
Default A round of "TMI," brought to you by goyguy

MLK Drive is a combination of former streets. Some were obliterated, others were rerouted, and part of the road was new construction. Here's the rundown, moving eastward:
From Central Parkway, MLK Drive replaced Dixmyth Ave until just east of Whitfield ahead of Good Samaritan Hospital - at which point a slightly reconfigured Dixmyth begins and runs northeast to Clifton Ave. Meanwhile, MLK Drive cuts southeast through a blasted-away hillside to meet (and replace part of) Riddle Rd and then bear east to Clifton Ave.
At Clifton Ave, it follows the former path of Saint Clair St - separating the UC campus from Burnet Woods and then continuing on past the EPA building. After crossing Vine St and passing through northern Corryville and the south end of the medical campuses, MLK Drive begins to follow what once was Melish Ave (some truncated "pieces" are still there) to Reading Road.
From Reading Rd a new street was built to complete MLK Drive from there gradually southeastward across Gilbert Ave to its terminus at Victory Parkway.
(This would've been a whole lot easier to draw! )

The key pieces to completing MLK Drive were the removal of that pesky hill behind Good Sam, and the new construction in Walnut Hills. Elsewhere it was a simple enough move to widen or "nudge aside" streets which had already been there for years.

Between the 1940's and '60s "they" would've probably tried to make the whole thing an expressway.

And, doesn't it seem odd that MLK Drive stops at Central Parkway? After all, the former west end of Dixmyth feeds right into the relocated (for I-75) Hopple St - which in turn cuts through Camp Washington and across its namesake viaduct to become Westwood-Northern Blvd. How complicated would it have been to keep that street name continuously all the way across town? And couldn't the same have been done on the other side of the city - re-christen portions of Madison Rd, Observatory Ave, Linwood, and Beechmont and/or tweak the route so that there'd have been an MLK Drive all the way from Anderson Township to Monfort Heights? Well...if you don't know the answers, you haven't been in Cincinnati long. The cries of "We're not racist, it's just - well, what I mean is - calling that street by that name isn't a - you know - good fit for our neighborhood" would make the drama over the streetcar look like a picnic at Winton Woods.

As does every 'nati street that crosses Vine, MLK Drive is numbered starting at 1 East and 1 West. But - as with other major arteries all the way from Third St to Kemper Rd - nobody uses the "directional modifiers." When giving directions it's clear and simple enough to advise, "Take Eden Ave to MLK, then turn right" or what have you.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:06 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,360,925 times
Goyguy ... Good description of MLK Drive.

But I view it same as Ronald Reagan Highway. He didn't build it, and forever to me it will be Cross-County Highway, the purpose it was built for.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:39 PM

109 posts, read 134,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
But I view it same as Ronald Reagan Highway. He didn't build it, and forever to me it will be Cross-County Highway, the purpose it was built for.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:45 AM

3 posts, read 5,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Between the 1940's and '60s "they" would've probably tried to make the whole thing an expressway.
This actually almost did happen with the planning of the William Howard Taft Expressway. It would have constructed a Norwood Lateral-type expressway from Taft's intersection with Columbia Parkway, through Walnut Hills and CUF just south of UC, and finally down to the Western Hills Viaduct. I think something like 600+ building would have needed to come down to build it. Could you imagine?

More info: Never-built Cincinnati Expressways

Old 06-27-2015, 01:40 PM

289 posts, read 1,317,561 times
Default Tiny beltways

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlikebooks View Post
This actually almost did happen with the planning of the William Howard Taft Expressway. It would have constructed a Norwood Lateral-type expressway from Taft's intersection with Columbia Parkway, through Walnut Hills and CUF just south of UC, and finally down to the Western Hills Viaduct. I think something like 600+ building would have needed to come down to build it. Could you imagine?

More info: Never-built Cincinnati Expressways
Yes - I recall that project, as well. Seems to me that it was it was discussed in the Post/Times/Star at the time. The name "Cross Basin Highway" was also used.

Old 06-27-2015, 02:41 PM

860 posts, read 630,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Goyguy ... Good description of MLK Drive.

Yeah, except when you travel to a city and see a street named after Ronald Reagan, you don't automatically put on a kevlar jacket and feel you have to dodge bullets.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:05 AM

4,730 posts, read 10,931,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD614 View Post
Yeah, except when you travel to a city and see a street named after Ronald Reagan, you don't automatically put on a kevlar jacket and feel you have to dodge bullets.
No, but it's a subtle hint that you can park your silver Prius with its "Coexist" bumper sticker just about anywhere and have no trouble finding it when you leave the grocery store an hour later.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:40 AM

236 posts, read 214,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD614 View Post
Looks like somebody doesn't get out much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati