Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 04:25 PM

41,721 posts, read 74,654,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Several people seem to have an animosity against Mason
My animosity is toward incorrect information, such as your assertion that Wyoming is nowhere near Reading, or most of your post that I quoted.

Since Cincinnati gets an average of 22 inches of snow each season, snow removal probably is not that huge of a consideration. And do you know how well every other jurisdiction in the area removes snow from the streets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 04:35 PM

108 posts, read 153,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
My animosity is toward incorrect information, such as your assertion that Wyoming is nowhere near Reading, or most of your post that I quoted.

Since Cincinnati gets an average of 22 inches of snow each season, snow removal probably is not that huge of a consideration. And do you know how well every other jurisdiction in the area removes snow from the streets?
lets be real here when was the last time we got actually 22 inches of snow lol, there is only one year i can think of where we got below 22 inches that was i believe 2011.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:04 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,123,407 times
Quote:
Several people seem to have an animosity against Mason. Perhaps that is just due to envy. Money Magazine recently moved Mason up from its 24th to its 7th position best place to live. And why does Money give them this ranking, simple - the schools.

So follow the leaders. Live in Mason and work in Reading. Again, look at a map. If the work in Reading is anywhere close to Reading Rd (Route 42), that is your gameplan. Route 42 may not be your fastest daily route to/from work, but it is your fallback.
I hope you're not referring to me. I'm originally from West Chester and still have a lot of friends from there and Mason.

I think the key is to show the OP all of the available options. That's what I was trying to do (and admittedly I forgot some too, like Kings). From there they can narrow. Or what's more fun is if they give us restrictive criteria and then WE can narrow. I love a good conundrum real estate search (horse farm within a 10-min commute of Downtown Cincy, anyone?). The boring ones are the "I want to be safe and have good schools" with literally no other description. And no follow up just adds injury to insult. I mean, I put in my time and effort to give you advice, the least you can do is follow up.

And that's why bmn0722 is awesome. They have followed up and listened to our comments. I am very happy. And I want to make sure they have the best search possible in return.

Welcome to Cincy, bmn0722! Very sorry we got sidetracked.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:08 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,696,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Quite frankly, at my age I do not, I just know Mason does a great job. When did I ever say Reading was not close to Wyoming. Of course Reading is close to Wyoming. My point was simply that people move to Wyoming not because they are close to Reading, but because they are close to downtown jobs without having to be in the CPS school district. If you don't believe this point, just look back at the hundreds of threads on this forum which emphasize this fact.

We can argue this all you want, but I will still stick by my facts. If you will be working in the downtown CBD, then by all means consider Wyoming number 1 as you don't have to battle the CPS. If you are wiling to combat the CPS, there are many alternatives.

But if you just want a quality, easy going life, plain and simple move to Mason. I won't find fault if you decide on someplace in the Kings district, the Lakota district, or even all the way out to Lebanon.

But if you simply want a convenient commute, everything you are looking for as a family atmosphere, simply move to Mason. I know this will bring tons of dread down on me. Frankly, bring it on.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:42 PM

19 posts, read 34,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
I hope you're not referring to me. I'm originally from West Chester and still have a lot of friends from there and Mason.

I think the key is to show the OP all of the available options. That's what I was trying to do (and admittedly I forgot some too, like Kings). From there they can narrow. Or what's more fun is if they give us restrictive criteria and then WE can narrow. I love a good conundrum real estate search (horse farm within a 10-min commute of Downtown Cincy, anyone?). The boring ones are the "I want to be safe and have good schools" with literally no other description. And no follow up just adds injury to insult. I mean, I put in my time and effort to give you advice, the least you can do is follow up.

And that's why bmn0722 is awesome. They have followed up and listened to our comments. I am very happy. And I want to make sure they have the best search possible in return.

Welcome to Cincy, bmn0722! Very sorry we got sidetracked.
And thanks to you all, I really do appreciate all of the help!!

Old 03-04-2014, 07:45 PM

7,046 posts, read 8,859,226 times
You may want to consider somewhere in the Sycamore school district in the subdivisions off Cooper/Glendale-Milford/Cornell Rds. Very easy access to Reading Road and the commute time would be short not needing to drive on an interstate. Living in Warren or Butler county would eat a lot of time when you consider what it would amount to over the years, not to mention the cost.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:20 PM

41,721 posts, read 74,654,678 times
Quote:
We can argue this all you want, but I will still stick by my facts. If you will be working in the downtown CBD, then by all means consider Wyoming number 1 as you don't have to battle the CPS. If you are wiling to combat the CPS, there are many alternatives.
But the OP did not mention downtown, or CPS, or snow, or any number of unrelated things you've brought up in this thread. You gave the OP the impression the only reason to live in Wyoming was its proximity to downtown, neglecting to mention that Wyoming is a 5-minute commute to Reading. That's all I'm saying. Have a nice night.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:51 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,490,188 times
OP -

As the folks on this board have implied, there are numerous options within a short commute of Reading (ranging from a few minutes, to under 30 minutes), with great school systems.

Depending on whether you want newer suburban (new WestChester, Liberty Township, Deerfield, Parts of Mason, parts of Kings School District) or older "small town" (Parts of Mason, Wyoming, parts of Kings School District), or flat out rural (Liberty Twp, Kings, etc..) -- there's plenty to choose from.

Prices and amout of house for the price will separate out the areas more, so as you're looking at houses online you'll be able to get a feel for which areas are more affordable than others. As KJ has noted - Mason (which is one of the more expensive Northern 'burbs) has great city services (including the community center) which means that while it may cost a little more to live there, you are at least getting value for your money.

I live up in Lebanon, (about 11 miles North of Mason/ Deerfield Twp) - so if you decide to expand the search further North I'll happily chime in a bit more. I work in Westchester and in general commuting around here isn't bad at all. I even drove from Lebanon into Reading (took 42 the whole way) after one of the snows because I needed to check an antique store - it took maybe 30 minutes. Had I taken 71 to the Ronald Regan to Galbraith/42 (Patheon, UC Reading area) - it would have taken less than 20.

Which is just to say getting to the Reading area isn't particularly difficult from this side of 275.

Good luck to you settling in -- the Spring Market will bring a lot of houses on line, you'll have a lot to look at and take into account. (Two houses just sold in our neighborhood in Lebanon, seems like 2014 is off to a reasonable real estate start)

Old 03-05-2014, 07:53 AM

19 posts, read 34,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
OP -

As the folks on this board have implied, there are numerous options within a short commute of Reading (ranging from a few minutes, to under 30 minutes), with great school systems.

Depending on whether you want newer suburban (new WestChester, Liberty Township, Deerfield, Parts of Mason, parts of Kings School District) or older "small town" (Parts of Mason, Wyoming, parts of Kings School District), or flat out rural (Liberty Twp, Kings, etc..) -- there's plenty to choose from.

Prices and amout of house for the price will separate out the areas more, so as you're looking at houses online you'll be able to get a feel for which areas are more affordable than others. As KJ has noted - Mason (which is one of the more expensive Northern 'burbs) has great city services (including the community center) which means that while it may cost a little more to live there, you are at least getting value for your money.

I live up in Lebanon, (about 11 miles North of Mason/ Deerfield Twp) - so if you decide to expand the search further North I'll happily chime in a bit more. I work in Westchester and in general commuting around here isn't bad at all. I even drove from Lebanon into Reading (took 42 the whole way) after one of the snows because I needed to check an antique store - it took maybe 30 minutes. Had I taken 71 to the Ronald Regan to Galbraith/42 (Patheon, UC Reading area) - it would have taken less than 20.

Which is just to say getting to the Reading area isn't particularly difficult from this side of 275.

Good luck to you settling in -- the Spring Market will bring a lot of houses on line, you'll have a lot to look at and take into account. (Two houses just sold in our neighborhood in Lebanon, seems like 2014 is off to a reasonable real estate start)
Thanks! I am open to Lebanon, and was curious about the commute time from there as well. Do you think it's safe to say about 30 minutes from Reading in 5:00 traffic?

Old 03-05-2014, 08:37 AM

800 posts, read 776,681 times
To be honest, I didn't think about chiming in on this thread, being an actual Cincinnatian I really don't have much interest.

But the level of CPS bashing and inaccuracies being spread about considering school districts has gotten to a level where being neutral no longer appealed to me.

Say what you want about CPS, but Walnut Hills is far and away the best high school in the STATE of Ohio and one of the best in the nation. Fairview Clifton German School, Kilgour Elementary, and Hyde Park School are all ranked above any elementary school in Mason. CPS has gone from being in a disaster state twenty years ago (save Walnut Hill which always has been the BEST high school in the city) to being the best urban school district in Ohio. Administrators from Chicago Public Schools, New York Public and other smaller cities are constantly coming to CPS to learn from the Community Learning Center model, where CPS has transformed schools in low income areas to be medical centers, community recreation centers, on top of being schools.

Walnut Hills is the best high school in the state of Ohio. Mason is 35th. Walnut Hills has 20% of its students on reduced lunches and a 40% minority population, while Mason has less than 1% on reduced lunches and is 90% white. The average income for the City of Cincinnati is $29,000. The average income for Mason is currently 103,000. Yet despite this huge income gap, the fact that CPS gets almost all the refugee students who come to the area (a good percentage of whom have almost no formal schooling when they get to the US, regardless of age), and single parent households where the parent works 3rd shift to make ends meet, CPS is still able to beat Mason with Walnut. Still able to have one of the preeminent art schools in the country in SCPA. Ask any admissions counselor at an Ivy League school if they've heard of Walnut and they'll say yes. Ask about Mason and I'll put my money on a no.

Mason is not one of Cincinnati's elite school districts. There are 6 Cincinnati schools ranked in the top 25 in the state (Walnut Hills, Wyoming, Indian Hill, Sycamore, Madiera, and Turpin). Mason is not. In fact, Mariemont, Kings, and even Lakota East are ranked ahead of Mason. So thats 9 schools ranked ahead of Mason. Mason is good. Not great. If it was it'd be ranked higher.

So back to the OP, if you want to live ten minutes from Reading road, live in a walkable urban community with cafes, coffee shops, and weekly farmer/art markets, live ten minutes from cultural amenities such as the Cincinnati Art Museum, Cincinnati Contemporary Arts Center, and Playhouse in the Park, the best restaurants in the city (Boca, Nada, Salazar etc), and have your children attend the best high school in the state of Ohio with kids with parents ranging from P&G executives to immigrants from Rwanda, maybe you should look at Hyde Park, Mt. Lookout, Clifton Gaslight, or East Walnut Hills.

kj, I agree with a lot of your posts, but you really need to grasp that the city is changing. Tired old stereotypes of the city from 20-30 years ago are exactly what the city is fighting everyday. And I happy to say we're winning that battle. The city is becoming an incredibly progressive, vibrant, and amazing place to live regardless of your age or station in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati