Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 01:16 PM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
A couple of questions. You describe the building as a duplex. Does that mean there is a common wall, and does that common wall happen to be above your basement and where this gas line runs?

If there is a physical common wall between the two halves of the structure that makes it more difficult to install a separate gas feed. The original builder obviously did some things on the cheap. But I do think your neighbor has a valid point far as this is the way it was built and I should not have to bear undue expense to change it. I am assuming we are not talking exactly new construction here.

My best solution is to move the gas meters to the exterior. This would require a separate pipe from the meter to feed the adjacent unit. Not the most desirable situation, but better than requiring access to your interior to read the meter. I am curious as to what is actually stated on your deed. That gas line to feed the adjacent unit is in effect an easement. But I bet it is not even mentioned.

But my best guess is when someone applied to have the two properties separately deeded Covington just rubber stanped the deal. After all, how complicated can it be.
Yes, there is a common wall separating both sides of the structure. Yes, moving outside would also be acceptable. Nothing in the Deed was mentioned that I could see.

I was told by my other neighbor that at one time two sisters owned both homes. That was my original belief that a single owner had both sides and yes, to save money put both meters into the cellar in my half.

I am out looking at other houses. At this point regardless of how it turns out I am not interested in sharing a gas line because I don't use natural gas at all and don't really want to deal with it at all at least on my property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 03:15 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,750,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Yes, there is a common wall separating both sides of the structure. Yes, moving outside would also be acceptable. Nothing in the Deed was mentioned that I could see.

I was told by my other neighbor that at one time two sisters owned both homes. That was my original belief that a single owner had both sides and yes, to save money put both meters into the cellar in my half.

I am out looking at other houses. At this point regardless of how it turns out I am not interested in sharing a gas line because I don't use natural gas at all and don't really want to deal with it at all at least on my property.
Well, while you are out looking, you might want to keep in mind that in some places, relatively nice ones, among older single-family homes, driveways and garages were and still are "shared." That is, two single-family houses have a one-car driveway between them and each house (each side of the driveway) has one side of a two-car garage at the end of it.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
Well, while you are out looking, you might want to keep in mind that in some places, relatively nice ones, among older single-family homes, driveways and garages were and still are "shared." That is, two single-family houses have a one-car driveway between them and each house (each side of the driveway) has one side of a two-car garage at the end of it.
I don't have much of a problem with a shared driveway. But sharing a part of my home is not acceptable. I planned to use the cellar for storage and then possibly create a home office. This current arrangement won't cut it.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:35 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,788,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I don't have much of a problem with a shared driveway. But sharing a part of my home is not acceptable. I planned to use the cellar for storage and then possibly create a home office. This current arrangement won't cut it.
But don't cut off your nose to spite your face. What is the foundation wall of your basement - poured or block? If it is block, would not be too difficult to shore up the upstairs, cut a slit through the block, install a copper gas feed line to the other half, and then seal the wall back up with cement. The gas meter would be installed exterior and likely could be in front of the other unit. At the same time you de-install the gas line in your unit, meter and all.

You say you do not use natrural gas at all. Is yours electric hot water and a heat pump?

Old 04-20-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
But don't cut off your nose to spite your face. What is the foundation wall of your basement - poured or block? If it is block, would not be too difficult to shore up the upstairs, cut a slit through the block, install a copper gas feed line to the other half, and then seal the wall back up with cement. The gas meter would be installed exterior and likely could be in front of the other unit. At the same time you de-install the gas line in your unit, meter and all.

You say you do not use natrural gas at all. Is yours electric hot water and a heat pump?
Appears to be poured cement. Yes, my hot water heater is electric. When I get back there I will take a closer look at how the pipe is routed into the cellar from the outside. I will see if there is a way around this.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:21 PM

Found the Deed to the property. One addendum and it only outlines the borders of the property including the shared wall with the adjoining property. No mention of natural gas lines or meters whatsoever. It appears as though this was some kind of verbal agreement with the past owner and was never put into writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati