Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 01:20 PM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times

Advertisements

Need some feedback. I'm not a happy camper right now.

I just went to my home in Covington and my neighbor told me he saw the Duke Energy meter reader along with what appears to be a new neighbor who is moving into the home on the other side of mine (duplex) break into my cellar through the outside door on Friday. The door is now broken and cannot be locked. Thankfully I have nothing of value inside the cellar and entry into the house is not possible.

At this point I don't know what to think. It appears as though they have installed a Gas meter in my cellar for the neighbor. I don't see why this could occur because they have their electric meter on the outside of the home and if they don't have a cellar in their home then they need to make other arrangements with Duke Energy about where to install a meter.

At this point, I am pissed off to the point that I may not even move into the place now and will just look for another house. I had enough of this kind of BS in the KC area and now it appears my personal space and property is yet again going to violated.

I called Duke a few minutes ago but their Customer Service Dept. is not open again until Monday. I intend to ask them what gives their meter reader the legal right to break my cellar door and go inside my property to install a meter. And naturally I am going to tell them it better not happen again and that they need to remove the meter unless they can produce some kind of documentation showing they have a legal right to invade my space that allows the adjacent property owner to have his Gas meter in my cellar.

Any additional thoughts would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 01:25 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,753,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Need some feedback. I'm not a happy camper right now.

I just went to my home in Covington and my neighbor told me he saw the Duke Energy meter reader along with what appears to be a new neighbor who is moving into the home on the other side of mine (duplex) break into my cellar through the outside door on Friday. The door is now broken and cannot be locked. Thankfully I have nothing of value inside the cellar and entry into the house is not possible.

At this point I don't know what to think. It appears as though they have installed a Gas meter in my cellar for the neighbor. I don't see why this could occur because they have their electric meter on the outside of the home and if they don't have a cellar in their home then they need to make other arrangements with Duke Energy about where to install a meter.

At this point, I am pissed off to the point that I may not even move into the place now and will just look for another house. I had enough of this kind of BS in the KC area and now it appears my personal space and property is yet again going to violated.

I called Duke a few minutes ago but their Customer Service Dept. is not open again until Monday. I intend to ask them what gives their meter reader the legal right to break my cellar door and go inside my property to install a meter. And naturally I am going to tell them it better not happen again and that they need to remove the meter unless they can produce some kind of documentation showing they have a legal right to invade my space that allows the adjacent property owner to have his Gas meter in my cellar.

Any additional thoughts would be appreciated.

Did you perchance call the police about breaking and entering?

Old 04-05-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
Did you perchance call the police about breaking and entering?
No, not yet. Simply because we know who did it and first I want to know why they did it. I sincerely doubt they have a legal leg to stand on with this but just in case there is some hidden clause in the deed to this property that allows the adjacent property owner the right to share the cellar, I am giving them a chance to state their case.

Overall I am really quite pleased with the experiences I've had in Covington. Neighbors have been good and I like the service I receive in the local stores and restaurants. But this issue is really having me second guess about staying here at least in this house. Maybe the only way around it is to find a property that is a true SF home and not half of a duplex.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
No, not yet. Simply because we know who did it and first I want to know why they did it. I sincerely doubt they have a legal leg to stand on with this but just in case there is some hidden clause in the deed to this property that allows the adjacent property owner the right to share the cellar, I am giving them a chance to state their case.

Overall I am really quite pleased with the experiences I've had in Covington. Neighbors have been good and I like the service I receive in the local stores and restaurants. But this issue is really having me second guess about staying here at least in this house. Maybe the only way around it is to find a property that is a true SF home and not half of a duplex.
Well, I'm no expert, but a meter would have to go on the gas line. Where do the pipes run?

Old 04-05-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
Well, I'm no expert, but a meter would have to go on the gas line. Where do the pipes run?
Apparently into my cellar. However, that does not change a thing. Duke has no right to break my cellar door and enter into my property without my consent.

Just a guess but I am thinking that at one time both properties were owned by a single person. To save money he probably figured it would be easier to put both natural gas lines and meters for each home into the cellar of the home that I own. Now both properties have different owners and this presents a major problem.

I knew that at some point I would have to find another home for several reasons and this latest issue seems to be the icing on the cake.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:16 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Apparently into my cellar. However, that does not change a thing. Duke has no right to break my cellar door and enter into my property without my consent.

Just a guess but I am thinking that at one time both properties were owned by a single person. To save money he probably figured it would be easier to put both natural gas lines and meters for each home into the cellar of the home that I own. Now both properties have different owners and this presents a major problem.

I knew that at some point I would have to find another home for several reasons and this latest issue seems to be the icing on the cake.
Why would the gas lines be through your domicile to supply the adjacent space? My gas meter is mounted on the outside of my house (a single family).

If you indicate it may have been built as a duplex, that can explain some of it. But you are right, it should be separated into two separate residences. ***** at Duke until they get it right.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Why would the gas lines be through your domicile to supply the adjacent space? My gas meter is mounted on the outside of my house (a single family).

If you indicate it may have been built as a duplex, that can explain some of it. But you are right, it should be separated into two separate residences. ***** at Duke until they get it right.
Yes, correct. When I bought the home nearly two years ago the home next door had been vacant for years. And I simply thought the meter in the cellar (which was not even there that I can recall) for that property had been removed to that property. Guess not.

Talking to a couple of friends with a legal background about this as well. One is an attorney in Connecticut and the other has legal experience in a couple of states. I want to see what they say about this too.

At this point, my thinking is that I will be willing to accept the following in exchange for not taking any kind of action against Duke: Have them remove the meter and move the gas lines to the appropriate property, fix my cellar door and never enter my home again (unless I am home and give permission) or break into it.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:52 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Yes, correct. When I bought the home nearly two years ago the home next door had been vacant for years. And I simply thought the meter in the cellar (which was not even there that I can recall) for that property had been removed to that property. Guess not.

Talking to a couple of friends with a legal background about this as well. One is an attorney in Connecticut and the other has legal experience in a couple of states. I want to see what they say about this too.

At this point, my thinking is that I will be willing to accept the following in exchange for not taking any kind of action against Duke: Have them remove the meter and move the gas lines to the appropriate property, fix my cellar door and never enter my home again (unless I am home and give permission) or break into it.
I think that is a good position. If your property and the adjacent have separate deeds, that should be enough. What you own, you own. The adjacent should be completely isolated. Make Duke understand that.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I think that is a good position. If your property and the adjacent have separate deeds, that should be enough. What you own, you own. The adjacent should be completely isolated. Make Duke understand that.
Yep. Exactly. Separate Deeds. If they won't cooperate then I am going to have to get nasty with them and I really don't want to do that nor even like to come down hard on people. From a legal standpoint, they don't have a leg to stand on here unless they can produce a document showing their is a legal right of way that allows them to break into my home, install a gas meter for the home in the adjacent property.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:53 AM

FYI: State governing service:

KY Public Service Commission
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati