U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 02:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,785 times

Advertisements

Hey Everybody,

Sometime in my twenties (1980's) I remember a club that was right next to the Old Spagetti factory on 2nd street. I believe it was called "Club NRG" or just "NGR". It was a dance club that had spray-painted glow-in-the-dark words on the inside... Can't remember what they said. They played alot of New Order and Dead or Alive and other dance/alternative stuff. I have searched the internet looking for a reference to the club but found nada except on person mentioning it in passing. Anybody remember this place? Had some REALLY fun times hanging out in it. I think they had shows? on friday nights and go-go cages?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 06:01 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,045,886 times
I remember it, but I think by the late '80s or very early '90s the name had changed to Club Paradise. it still played alternative dance music, though.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,673 times
Yes to both of you although the music did change a bit after it became club paradise. Many a late night there drinking gin and tonic that glowed purple thanks to the UV lights. Used to save the wristbands and carefully remove them for return visits with friends that were not quite 21, quick visit to the restroom pop on the band and instant access to the bar. First place I heard Kon-Kan (i beg your pardon) played. At one point NRG had some dancers that went in those cages. Wow great times

Old 04-29-2014, 11:14 AM

31,594 posts, read 58,061,999 times
I went there a few times; few of my friends were into alternative music. We went to Caddy's a lot.

Old 02-21-2015, 04:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,411 times
NRG was the most fun job I ever had. I worked there as a beer girl when it first opened. Great people. Great fun. Great memories. I also loved the warehouse on Vine

Old 02-21-2015, 10:02 AM

152 posts, read 142,327 times
Anyone remember Cooters Beat Night and DV8?

Old 02-21-2015, 10:53 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,507,949 times
Yes we all have different opinions. In my case I went to UC in a 5-year engineering CO-OP program. Met my future wife there, hot to trot. After graduation we were married post haste. In less than 2 years we had 2 kids, now that is a sobering thought. After 1 year in an apartment bought our 1st house, that puts another financial burden on you.

Of course I knew where Mt Adams was. But when you cripple yourselves financially in 2 years, forget the nightlife. Can't remember ever being to Mt Adams after my days at UC.

But I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. Ended up with 4 kids and now 7 grandkids, a couple who are college age.

Keep hearing about all these playgrounds in Cincy, past and present. Never considered Cincy my playground. Grew up and raised my family in the suburbs, now further north in Mason. So we have the urbans and the suburbans who will constantly argue. Do I want to live in suburbia - Hell YES. Would I live in the CITY - Hell NO!

Do I consider myself a Cincinnatian - HELL YES! Without the greater Metro Area, Cincy would be dying on the vine. So let's quit arguing and understand we have different interests.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:10 AM

8,202 posts, read 5,644,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post

Keep hearing about all these playgrounds in Cincy, past and present. Never considered Cincy my playground. Grew up and raised my family in the suburbs, now further north in Mason. So we have the urbans and the suburbans who will constantly argue. Do I want to live in suburbia - Hell YES. Would I live in the CITY - Hell NO!

Do I consider myself a Cincinnatian - HELL YES! Without the greater Metro Area, Cincy would be dying on the vine. So let's quit arguing and understand we have different interests.
What does this love story and rant have to do with finding information on a club in the 80s?

If anyone can't add to a thread with relevant requested information, why not just read and move on? It isn't necessary to comment on every thread started in any forum. (Yes, I just violated my own comment but I felt it's time to keep threads from being bloated with unnecessary information. Sorry)

Old 02-21-2015, 12:00 PM

400 posts, read 406,194 times
I spent more than a few evenings drinking and dancing Beat Club (never Cooters), NRG, The Warehouse, The Metro and The Dock. Wow, that was a while back. ;-)

Old 02-23-2015, 06:21 PM

5,720 posts, read 6,012,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by immersedincincy View Post
Anyone remember Cooters Beat Night and DV8?
I remember Jerry Springer hanging out there slobbering on college girls back when he was still on channel 5 with Norma.

I spent most of my drinking time at campus rendezvous on Calhoun, voted best place to get trashed for $1 by the news record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or