U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-21-2007, 11:57 AM

3,646 posts, read 2,892,230 times
Default Secede

It's spelled
secede.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 12:13 PM

357 posts, read 597,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
It's spelled
secede.
Truer words have never been spoken, but until a moderator changes it, we're stuck with Cincinnati's "sucession" from Ohio.

Old 12-21-2007, 12:52 PM

1,407 posts, read 3,334,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmanite View Post
People from Cleveland have a funny accent. They all call me "Taaaaaaam" instead of "Tom". I can't take anyone seriously when they sound so nasal...
LOL! Indeed.

The second-person plural pronoun "youze guyz" still cracks me up. Most everyone I knew up there said it, but it always sounded pretty un-edjemuckated to me

Old 12-21-2007, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
It's spelled
secede.
Haha! True. Yet somehow, I understood the OP's qustion perfectly

Old 12-22-2007, 03:30 AM
Yac

4,281 posts, read 3,569,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiU08 View Post
Truer words have never been spoken, but until a moderator changes it, we're stuck with Cincinnati's "sucession" from Ohio.
How did I miss that ??
Changed
Yac.

Old 12-22-2007, 05:19 AM

492 posts, read 1,589,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiU08 View Post
I think you may be confusing Cleveland with Michigan... Clevelanders do have an admittedly nasal "a," but Tom is not the kind of sound a Clevelander would butcher. You would notice it on the word "aunt" or "have" or "mad," where it differs from the duller "aeh" sound that is common in the Midwest. Putting a nasal "a" on "ah" sounds is more prevalent in Michigan, Upstate NY, and SE Canadian dialects, where the names Ian and Anne are nearly indistinguishable. If someone in the area uses that kind of accent, I would bet dollars to cents that they are not native.
Actually many Cleveland natives do have that nasal sound. The "dialect line" runs right through northern Ohio. Youngstown and Akron are south, yet parts of the Cleveland Metro Area are north, and thus have the nasalized "a". From my experience I've found it's strongest on the eastern side of town, in places like Euclid, Mentor, etc. I've got several friends born and raised there that call me "Tahm" instead of "Tawm". But like you said, it's also prevalent in other places around the Great Lakes. My old boss from Rochester, NY had the same accent, as well as my cousins from Wisconsin, or should I say Wiscahnsin...

Here is a link to a Wikipedia article that discusses this "dialect" which socialinguists have termed the "Northern Cities Vowel Shift".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norther...es_vowel_shift

Old 12-24-2007, 08:59 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,953,585 times
ohio should actually be divided into 3 states. the northern third (youngstown,akron,cleveland and toledo). the northern 3rd is more liberal,blue collar and we talk with "accents" . i dont know how anyone could consider cleveland "snooty" except some of the very wealthy eastern burbs. the middle third (columbus) is moderate in general and middle of the road. the bottom third (cincy,dayton) is conservative and as someone said earlier very "special interest minded,bible thumpers" trying to force the rest of us to live the way they see fit. also the accent is because people from cleveland,detroit,chicago etc followed the new england trail and the people who settled in columbus,cincy took the west virgina/mountain trails thus picking up the "drawl " accent you hear from any place but northern ohio. actually ohio is a good cross section of the entire country, that is why presidential hopefuls visit so much. and in closing, someone earlier was correct about us in cleveland. we could give a rats a** about columbus,cincy. cleveland is head and shoulders above the rest of the cities in ohio in terms of shear metro size, culture/diversity, entertainment,commerce/exporting/industry,sports,parks/recreation/great lake,etc,etc...im not saying we dont have our share of problems (schools,crime,poverty) but what city doesnt.? you will not find many metro areas with as much to offer. so in closing i propose cincy stays in ohio and i for one vote for cleveland to secede.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:09 AM

357 posts, read 597,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
i dont know how anyone could consider cleveland "snooty"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
in closing, someone earlier was correct about us in cleveland. we could give a rats a** about columbus,cincy. cleveland is head and shoulders above the rest of the cities in ohio in terms of shear metro size, culture/diversity, entertainment,commerce/exporting/industry,sports,parks/recreation/great lake,etc,etc...
I'll leave that to be pondered by all...

Old 12-24-2007, 09:22 AM

2,501 posts, read 4,762,864 times
Having grown up in OH, we always considered Toledo to be the "dead city", Cleveland was the "mistake by the lake", and Cinncinnati was the "polluted city". I grew up between Toledo and Bowling Green, but as far as cities go, always preferred Columbus just because it is a college town with many cultural events going on year-round. I still have family living in every city in OH and I'm sure they would disagree with my observations and strongly defend their prospective cities, but hey, everyone is entitled to their opinions.....

Ohio is a beautiful and diverse state and I always appreciated each part of the state for its uniqueness....but never have liked cities and have never lived in one. I think the small towns and rural communities give a state its true personality, not the cities.

Old 12-24-2007, 10:04 AM

Thumbs up Yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
I think the small towns and rural communities give a state its true personality, not the cities.
Amen!! I agree 1,000% and couldn't have said it better myself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati