Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 09:01 AM

15 posts, read 21,836 times

Advertisements

No plans for kids as of now. We could afford at least a little bigger/nicer place in Mariemont if we need/want in the future. This time we (frankly somewhat artificially) chose $1K/mo as our target until we figure out the city and what it takes money-wise to enjoy it. Planning to put as much away for the future as we can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 09:28 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,758,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeefan14 View Post
No plans for kids as of now. We could afford at least a little bigger/nicer place in Mariemont if we need/want in the future. This time we (frankly somewhat artificially) chose $1K/mo as our target until we figure out the city and what it takes money-wise to enjoy it. Planning to put as much away for the future as we can.
Yes, you first have to think about where you are and get your feet on the ground. No problem with that.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:56 AM

OP ...

Could you inform other forum viewers what you found most appealing about Mariemont?

About all I know about it is the attractive architecture driving through it, though it seems a bit crowded to me. Years and years ago used to go to the movie theater on the square before the multi-plexes became the vogue. And am quite familiar with the historic Mariemont Inn and the National Exemplar restaurant. We don't get to the National Exemplar that often these days, but they still have some things hard to find elsewhere like a beef liver and onions dinner. They also do a good job on traditional holiday dinners like Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. Be advised it is a haven of graybeards as it provides the food of our youth.

For several years I worked in a small building off Wooster Pike near Newtown Rd, and right across from the Heritage Restaurant. Really liked working there, as when we had customers the Heritage was right across the street for lunch. Just realized the Heritage is no more - too bad! If I am correct the building is now occupied by the Fifty West Brewing Company. A sign of the times, but they will never duplicate the romantic atmosphere for a couple the Heritage had. But Oh Well, times they do change.

But if you do happen to patronze the Fifty West place, just remember it was at one time one of the most elegant dining establishments on the east side of Cincinnati. See that big hill behind it! That happens to run up to a small enclave called Indian Hill.

Hope you enjoy the time in Mariemont.

Old 05-18-2014, 02:44 PM

BTW ... During my time out near Newtown Rd on Wooster Pike, also discovered another great place. El Coyote restaurant up off of State Rd near Five Mile in Anderson. Take Newtown Rd south to Clough Pike, Clough Pike east to State Rd, and State Rd to the top of the hill They say they are Tex-Mex, but they are much more than that. Some of the best steaks in Cincinnati. Unless they have totally upturned it since I was last there, some of the best margaritas in Cincinnati. And the Mexican food - Wow. Would like some feedback on whether one of my favorite restaurants is still going strong or deteriorated.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:48 PM

15 posts, read 21,836 times
Sure, kjbrill. I can probably give a more helpful appraisal once we've lived there for a time, but several factors drew us to Mariemont. We were really drawn to the amount of green space, trees, and parks that the area offers relative to the others that we looked at. The types of shopping and dining in the square there -- some of which have been mentioned in this thread -- are very much our speed. (If only the Starbucks were a nice local roasters instead...) The village is also extremely safe, and that is a high priority for us.

Bummer about the Heritage! The brewery sounds intriguing, though... stay tuned. Ditto El Coyote!

Old 05-19-2014, 08:54 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,521,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
BTW ... During my time out near Newtown Rd on Wooster Pike, also discovered another great place. El Coyote restaurant up off of State Rd near Five Mile in Anderson. Take Newtown Rd south to Clough Pike, Clough Pike east to State Rd, and State Rd to the top of the hill They say they are Tex-Mex, but they are much more than that. Some of the best steaks in Cincinnati. Unless they have totally upturned it since I was last there, some of the best margaritas in Cincinnati. And the Mexican food - Wow. Would like some feedback on whether one of my favorite restaurants is still going strong or deteriorated.
We go out to El Coyote (the Anderson location) once and a while (from Lebanon). Got hooked on their Fajitas when they had the WestChester location open.

Haven't been to the downtown location yet (right off Fountain Square), but personally we really like their food.

I always get the fajitas (juicy chicken, tender steak), my husband often gets their pork chops (giant pork chops). Haven't tried their steaks yet, but one of these days no doubt we will.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:13 AM

I remember taking groups of customers there. Always had to be a clown, usually from Texas, who asked if they had any hot salsa to go with the chips. Big Mistake. They had one they kept in reserve just for people like that. Would burn you alive.

And yes the fajitas are hard to pass up.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:37 AM

8,307 posts, read 3,900,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeefan14 View Post
Hi folks,
My wife and I (early 30s, professionals, no kids but a big dog) are suddenly going to be moving to Cincy from VA within the next 1-2 months for work. We're looking for places to live and have come up with a list so far of Hyde Park, Oakley, and Mt. Lookout. Mariemont has also popped up on our radar, but looks a little...weird/cultish? Seeking advice and/or tips
My opinion on the communities you mention. I have lived here all my life, I find Mariemont and Terrace Park to be the least diverse and stuffiest of anywhere in town. Not sure it's "cultish" but it does not appeal to me.

Hyde Park is OK but a LOT of pretentiousness there too. And, you will pay for the privelege of saying "oh, I live in Hyde Park. You don't?"

I like Mt. Lookout. Topography is especially cool (except in the winter!) Close to the bike trails in Lunken Airport and in Newtown. Ault Park is also in your backyard. Oakley might work, but it's mostly flat, and I like some terrain. Also not as heavily treed as Mt. Lookout. One thing to look at carefully though is that many older homes in the hilly areas have significant maintenance burden. A lot of soil subsidence and foundation issues in the Cincinnati area.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
My opinion on the communities you mention. I have lived here all my life, I find Mariemont and Terrace Park to be the least diverse and stuffiest of anywhere in town. Not sure it's "cultish" but it does not appeal to me.

Hyde Park is OK but a LOT of pretentiousness there too. And, you will pay for the privelege of saying "oh, I live in Hyde Park. You don't?"

I like Mt. Lookout. Topography is especially cool (except in the winter!) Close to the bike trails in Lunken Airport and in Newtown. Ault Park is also in your backyard. Oakley might work, but it's mostly flat, and I like some terrain. Also not as heavily treed as Mt. Lookout. One thing to look at carefully though is that many older homes in the hilly areas have significant maintenance burden. A lot of soil subsidence and foundation issues in the Cincinnati area.
But GearHead, pay attention as you read through these theads. The OP has already stated they have made a decision on Mariemont. The time for offering opinions is before that, not after. I wish them well on their Mariemont decision.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,199 times
i curri=ently live in norwood and i love it here... but make sure if you chose norwood dont pick a dangerous part of it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati