Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 06:24 PM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times

Advertisements

A while back I remember reading an article that stated Dayton was one of the worse places in the country to live if you have allergies. Don't recall seeing Cincinnati on the list.

Here in Indianapolis the air quality is terrible (worse than Kansas City in fact) and It is really becoming a major problem for me here. It inhibits proper sleep, leads to fatigue and a lot of sneezing, red and watery eyes etc. Thankfully I will be in NKY pretty soon and I hope my allergies will not return or at be diminished over what they are here in Indy. To date I have not experienced these symptoms to any great degree in Covington other than a minor sniffle from time to time. I hope that will continue.

Has anyone else with allergies found either they got better or worse after moving to the Cincinnati area? Just wondering...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 06:34 PM

465 posts, read 658,825 times
I last came from Burlington, VT, so they are definitely worse for me here than there, and worse than they were in Los Angeles, albeit the air quality was usually pretty bad in SoCal. Given that allergies tend to get worse the farther South you go, the only reason why I can think there would be any positive difference between here and our more Northern neighbor is that Cincinnati's hillier than Dayton, so maybe wind-borne allergens get filtered out a bit more by the time they reach the city. I'm just pulling that guess out my backside, though, and don't have any really good idea as to why.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:38 PM

245 posts, read 333,141 times
Oh man, if you're thinking moving here will be better for you're allergies, you're going to be disappointed.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustBeltOptimist View Post
I last came from Burlington, VT, so they are definitely worse for me here than there, and worse than they were in Los Angeles, albeit the air quality was usually pretty bad in SoCal. Given that allergies tend to get worse the farther South you go, the only reason why I can think there would be any positive difference between here and our more Northern neighbor is that Cincinnati's hillier than Dayton, so maybe wind-borne allergens get filtered out a bit more by the time they reach the city. I'm just pulling that guess out my backside, though, and don't have any really good idea as to why.
Thanks. I'm originally from the Hartford area of Connecticut. I think most of my trouble is with certain industrial pollutants and less so from the typical stuff like Pollen from plants and trees etc. A little trouble with that stuff but it seems like certain kinds of man made pollution are what's creating havoc for me.

I am thinking that Cincy has little in the way of heavy industry these days, that may be the reason I am breathing far better there and also my energy level is much better as well when compared to Kansas City and especially Indianapolis. Trying to validate this through the experiences of others.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:40 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
I have lived here all my life so just take the attitude they are what they are.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:41 PM

279 posts, read 356,513 times
I thankfully don't have allergies, but several guys in my office do, and they always have a tough time around this part of the year. I'm in Cinci, but don't understand how Dayton can be all that different. It's only a short drive, and there's not much in the between them... A few hills in Cinci, and the river, not much else to make it so different.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I have lived here all my life so just take the attitude they are what they are.
You may not be affected by what is around you or only to a small degree. I had some issues in Connecticut as well and they would vanish once I would get to the shoreline. Then suddenly, travel back to the Hartford area and they would return though it was not nearly as bad as KC or Indy.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:51 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Has anyone else with allergies found either they got better or worse after moving to the Cincinnati area? Just wondering...
I grew up on Lake Erie, and never had a sinus headache or congestion until I moved to Cincinnati. When I'd be driving toward Columbus, I began to notice that there was a spot give or take 60 or 70 miles north of town where my head would just drain and clear out like a switch had been flipped.

I also noticed seasonal allergies that hadn't bugged me before - whatever blooms around this time of year, the first sustained hot temps of the summer. I've never bothered to figure out what it was that was triggering the symptoms.

On the other hand, the seasonal allergies I had in the fall seemed to have diminished in Cincinnati.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I grew up on Lake Erie, and never had a sinus headache or congestion until I moved to Cincinnati. When I'd be driving toward Columbus, I began to notice that there was a spot give or take 60 or 70 miles north of town where my head would just drain and clear out like a switch had been flipped.

I also noticed seasonal allergies that hadn't bugged me before - whatever blooms around this time of year, the first sustained hot temps of the summer. I've never bothered to figure out what it was that was triggering the symptoms.

On the other hand, the seasonal allergies I had in the fall seemed to have diminished in Cincinnati.
Thanks. This is very useful info. I have Cleveland as a backup plan for relocation just in case… I figured the air off Lake Erie has to be pretty clean and likely won't contain much in the way of allergens. A decade ago I lived in a small town in western NY that was only a few miles from Lake Ontario and I had few allergy problems there or even when I went to Buffalo and points to the SW near Lake Erie.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:26 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,161,281 times
My best suggestion?

Stock up on Benadryl and coffee or become a Cavs fan fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati