Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 07:23 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,019,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
IF I was the developer, I'd build it 30 floors and put the grocery store in anyway...you know it will make money...I'd stick to the Cincinnati Hater Cranley.
I only wish it could be so! The "4th & Race St." graphics first shown to the public were both exciting and promised so much--but, sadly, now this latest, lesser development. And as for Cranley--as he destroys everything he touches--his legacy will be only that he was one of Cincinnati's worst mayors ever. (perhaps even more so than even "Boss Cox")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 07:31 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProkNo5 View Post
Milwaukee has the worst, crumbling roads and bridges in the country. Going back this past weekend brought all sorts of warm feelings because there are some amazing things that Milwaukee does to improve quality of life...but repairing roads aint one of them. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the cold winters and whatnot, but Minneapolis doesn't seem to have the same problem that Milwaukee does.

Minneapolis had a freeway bridge collapse due to lack of maintenance.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:32 AM

465 posts, read 658,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enofile View Post
I started this thread with the understanding that I would be communicating with a highly educated and tuned in community that would not respond like drunks at a baseball game. It's a shame that an intellectual and insightful discussion is impossible. Today, criticism is attacked personally and everyone simply wants to hear a positive spin on everything. Selective criticism is not snobbery or pretentiousness. That's why we have art, film, restaurant and theater critics. With the kind of thinking that proliferates here, Richard Nixon would have been president until 1980, in spite of the Constitution. I am happy that intellectual observation and critiquing still exists on the coasts, in Europe and Madison, Wisconsin. I will maintain hope, but this Forum is obviously not the place to for academic interaction.
You're the one who came in and insulted us first (calling us myopic, provincial, complacent, etc...) My issue is that you offer pseudo-intellectualism in flowery prose that disguises a genuine lack of understanding of your subjects. You present an air of superiority (also known as smugness) to the rest of us poor unworldly provincial types when it becomes clear on reading that many of us have seen and understood more of these world cities than you from your lofty perch. I actually agree with you vis a vis the smells of Cincinnati (albeit Milan and Barcelona can smell just as bad in my experience,) I agree regarding the general desire that the city has much work to do with poverty (but have you been to the slums of Buenos Ares? Have you been chased by the packs of feral cats roaming Prague? Seriously...) and that other areas need to be fixed, but my point is that you don't see what's going on because you're too wrapped in your superiority to see where fixes actually are happening.

When Barcelona's OFFF graphic design festival chose Cincinnati as its North American festival site, gathering many of the world's top graphic designers here last year, it's because of the similarities the cities shared. The World Choir Games chose Cincy because we are an affordable yet worldly city that was really the only one in the country that could compare to the choral traditions of Europe. I know and communicate on a regular basis with leading critics in New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, in a variety of fields and they don't share your opinions of our city. So when I say it has a sophistication, I mean it, and I can back it up with many specific concrete examples. When you say it doesn't, you back it up with a stereotype, a picture you've painted based on a few observations here and there.

Last edited by RustBeltOptimist; 06-11-2014 at 07:44 AM..

Old 06-11-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoenberg3 View Post
About the smell, I've noticed quite a few times both near the university and downtown this most peculiar smell that I can only describe as cooked rice gone bad....really bad. It appeared that they were especially nefarious near sewer drains and during hotter months of the year. This certainly does not leave a positive impression and I hope Cincinnati can sort out their drainage system.

About the city itself, it has so much potential, especially considering its size and location (let's face it, midwestern cities are generally perceived as being boring compared to its eastern and westcoast counterparts).

Foremost, it is blessed with an interesting topology -- with the mighty Ohio river surrounded by interesting hillsides. Given that most midwestern cities have absolutely no topological interest, this is already a significant leg-up. It also has a venerable German heritage which begot the city's prime assets -- its fine and diverse architecture.

Unfortunately, much of the city still feels bit rusty and archaic and one gets the feeling that the city's great potential have not been fully tapped. From the subpar roads to the rusty facades of defunct businesses, from the overrun lawns of fading suburban houses to the apocalyptic industrial ruins in Mill Creek -- heck, parts near I-75 are so unkempt and messy with construction (which take forever it seems) that you would think you might be in a third-world country.

It is a city with so much potential -- but it needs a significant economic upturn to get those venerable old buildings spiffed up and the infrastructure to become modernized. And that funky smell to be addressed...
The good news on the I-75 front is that the Crosley Building, probably the most prominent eyesore in the Camp Washington area finally has a plan in place to renovate it and convert it to apartments. The Central Parkway bike lane when complete is also likely to help Camp Washington more than any other neighborhood in Cincinnati, as it's going to connect it and its cheap rents and transport costs to OTR, downtown and Northside and there aren't any of Cincy's hills to climb in that route. I'm guessing once the 75 construction is complete and the bike lane finished, that we're going to see the C.W. neighborhood take off pretty quickly.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Agreed. When there's any discussion about either Cincinnati's culture or its conformity, the debate quickly becomes a minefield where even the most knowledgeable posters need tiptoe with caution. And, as alluded to, debates such as these are best suited for "insiders only" who actually care about the city plus who have some idea of what they're talking about rather than with any uninformed outsider whose sole purpose is to divert the discussion into a showcase of his own city. (That's already happened here.)

Personally, I thought the OP opened very well; especially through his thoughtful, realistic observations about downtown Cincinnati, where he extended both compliment and criticism. Ideally, this thread should remain centered here, on its original purpose, rather than spin out of control with fragmented debates of Cincinnati in general, its overall history and culture or, even worse, superfluous discussions of cities elsewhere. Hopefully, both the OP and others here with a vested interest in Cincinnati will keep this thread centered and on track, rather than allow it to be derailed and destroyed by anybody else.
Sorry about that. I agree that the OP started well, with legitimate concerns, and I share many of them. The city really does need sewer work and it does have many apathetic people unwilling to help those of us that are doing more than just griping. However, it started to become clear that he may be one of them, his desire was to edify us and bless us with his worldly wisdom of all that we're doing wrong rather than picking up a pressure hose himself (or even rallying his neighbors to get the city to get it done.)

Old 06-11-2014, 08:16 AM

152 posts, read 186,913 times
Jeni's might be a home grown business for Columbus, but not until she worked for Greaters and learned how to make French pot ice cream. Pretty sleazy if you ask me but business is business.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:25 AM

5,294 posts, read 5,235,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by immersedincincy View Post
Jeni's might be a home grown business for Columbus, but not until she worked for Greaters and learned how to make French pot ice cream. Pretty sleazy if you ask me but business is business.
And its not anywhere near as good as Graeters.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
And its not anywhere near as good as Graeters.
I like it as much, I think Jeni's has more interesting flavors, usually. Now however, I'm on this Dojo Gelato from Findlay Market kick. They are fantastic, but my diet's going downhill.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:36 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,019,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by immersedincincy View Post
I have an idea--let's just stay immersed in Cincy and Graeter's great ice cream, leaving Columbus completely out of this picture.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:08 AM

152 posts, read 186,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
I have an idea--let's just stay immersed in Cincy and Graeter's great ice cream, leaving Columbus completely out of this picture.
Sounds good😎
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati