Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 04:52 AM

85 posts, read 297,125 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have fallen in love with Wyoming and are determined to find the right house there. Our max budget is $600K. We would like a 4 BR / 3 BA house with 2500 sq ft or more with a grand and unique feel to the house. The house does not have to be old, but it needs a lot of character. Ideally, we would like to be close to the business district. We have 2 young kids, ages two and four, and 2 dogs so we want a yard big enough to kick a soccer ball. Now that you have the necessary background, I would like some recommendations on specific areas and homes in Wyoming.

1) What is considered the best area of Wyoming? Are there areas to avoid?
2) Is it safer to be west of Springfield Pike to be more insulated from the transitional neighborhood to th east (Lockland?)?
3) If you were buying in Wyoming right now, with my requirements, what home would you buy and why? Right now, I am looking at 632 Burns Ave, 314 Wyoming Ave, 165 Linden Dr, and 303 Grove as my main options.
4) Is there a reason why 303 Grove Ave is SO cheap compared to other options? I know it needs some work, but not THAT much work. It seems there must be a reason I have not considered.

Any info is appreciated as I will likely be purchasing a home in the next couple weeks. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 08:44 AM

404 posts, read 826,376 times
We shopped Wyoming when we moved here so I can give you my two cents while we wait for the non-resident expert Goyguy to chime in.

Whichever part appeals to you the most is the "best" part for you. If you want suburban go west of the pike, if you want village go village. There will definitely be more property crime in the village but that shouldn't deter you, there is property crime everywhere you'd want to live in Cincinnati.

Burns St. Is "the" street in Wyoming village- biggest, nicest of the older houses. Burns south of Wyoming Ave nicer than Burns north of Wyoming Ave. Wyoming Ave is heavily trafficked as it is Wyoming's "Main St." And leads to the highway on ramp. I would not choose to live on Wyoming Ave.

If you look at the map you can see that the house on Grove is on the corner of S. Cooper. S. Cooper goes across "the tracks." Foot and car traffic from "across the tracks" is not something desireable, this may add to the price suppression in that house. OTOH you would be much more walkable to the Elm Street Primary School from there, which I think is where any village student would be zoned. If I picked I would pick Grove because I like village and want the walkability and I am not so worried about "across the tracks." I like neighborhoods and sidewalks and walking to school.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:25 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
OP ... There you go, some quick info and with some reasons.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:56 AM

24 posts, read 25,811 times
I've lurked on this forum for a while, but have finally decided to register so I can give you some info. I've lived in Wyoming about 8 years now, in "the village" iand have been thinking about moving to a new house within the city, so I've been following the real estate on the market recently.

I agree with all of what SoFresh99 said. First, with regard to safety, like you, I had concerns when we moved here, but we have never had a problem. Most crime is crime of opportunity--theft from unlocked cars, garages, and back doors. The police force is very present and visible here.

The biggest complaint of (some) people living in the village is the noise of trains and train horns. Having grown up near trains, I rarely notice them. Some people up on the hill (west of Springfield Pike) even complain of them. That is likely also part of the reason for the lower price of 303 Grove. It and the home at 632 Burns also share the fact of being on a corner of a street that goes across the tracks into Lockland, so there is some more traffic there.

One of the aspects of Wyoming that many love is the ability of children to walk to school. Assignment to a primary school is generaly done by which one is closest, combined with enrollment levels, so if you are borderline you may get sent to a primary school that is not walkable. In my experience with friends, the 632 Burns may get sent to Hilltop or Vermont; the others are highly likely to go to Elm (although the Linden Dr. one could also be sent to Hilltop). They all look great for easy walking to the middle or high school.

I would have a hard time choosing among the homes you have listed. They all have unique things going for them/going against them. Not the least of which is the conditions of the homes themselves--be sure to get a very good home inspection on these older homes. I know 632 Burns was recently renovated and updated (but may have lost some character in the process). I love brick homes for the low maintenance (less painting) but beware that the insulation in the walls may be minimal; at the same time I absolutely love the woodwork/fireplaces in that home on Wyoming Ave. The house on Grove has the traffic/train issues, but there are a lot of friendly families in those couple blocks with many young kids (true throughout Wyoming, but easier for younger kids to walk across Grove than across Wyoming Ave. to visit a neighbor). I don't know as much about Linden, other than there are a lot of gorgeous homes on that street.

Finally, did you look at 118 Springfield Pike? I know the main road is busy, but one benefit of being at the southern end of Wyoming is being able to walk to the business district in Hartwell. Go into Country Fresh Market--it is the best little deli/produce/beer&wine store around. Also a good hardware store, jewelry store, etc. (don't let their dated exeriors put you off).

Old 06-17-2014, 12:26 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
This "non-resident expert" hasn't chimed in sooner mainly due to having been on vacation - which included some time back in the home 'burb.
Lately there have been a LOT of houses in Wyoming up for sale. But there's no reason for worry. It's a seller's market these days and we've reached the peak time of the year for properties to change hands.
A principal drawback for sale/re-sale of a house, anywhere, appears to be vehicle storage or lack thereof. Many if not most older "homes with character" were built before American society became "car-centric" and consequently have either no garage or, if lot size allowed, a detached structure. Now one-car families are an exception to the rule. And more and more kids treat having their own wheels as of their 16th birthday as a birthright. So that sweet Victorian with the narrow driveway and little garage out back, or smaller house with covered parking attached to or beneath the building, automatically loses some value. Without perusing the listings I'm going to wager that that's part of the reason the house on Grove isn't priced higher.

314 Wyoming Ave is one of those places where you wish the walls could talk. It's actually stood vacant for quite a few years, since the last owner died, and that last owner was a "character." Her out-of-town daughter and local friends have kept up its maintenance and make sure her Republican sensibilities are satisfied by keeping that big flag flying on the front porch. The place (at least while "Scotch" was alive) was an awesome repository for antique furniture with its generously proportioned rooms with high ceilings. But as the ad for it has brought up - with some masterful spin control - it comes with a "'50's vintage kitchen." OTOH that shaded front lawn is a great size for kids and dogs while not requiring hours to mow. You also, however, have vehicle storage to think about. The detached garage may have space for two cars. But there's almost no way to be closer to the clusters of "village" shops - in either direction, not to mention St James and multiple Protestant churches should you be so inclined. Plus the middle and high schools are an easy stroll away, with Elm Ave Elementary not a "far piece" distant either.

The house on Linden is roomy and charming (and yeah, I went to school with kids who once lived there and the "Goyguy Sr's" know the current owners.) You'd be on a street that practically screams "upscale suburbia" as it lazily winds past commanding Tudors and oversized mid-century dwellings before reaching the recent McMansions at the far end. But walkability would be an issue there. Birdsong and shade are in abundance thanks to the beautiful mature trees - along with far less traffic noise than the other three locations, the better to enjoy them. The far lower frequency of passing cars also means less anxiety letting the kids and dogs run around outside. What that would have to be weighed against is the need to hop in the car to get 'most anywhere despite most of the drives' being short.

632 Burns has been nicely redone (at least on the outside) and also has the (dis)advantage of having had the same owners for a long time. What I don't like about that house is the likelihood of the already-mentioned railroad noise being especially bad there. It's right at the top of a small rise in elevation. And the cross street, Wentworth, continues into Lockland by way of a grade crossing. That means the potential for hearing not only the locomotive horns and passing trains, but also the clanging of the signal bells (which continue to needlessly sound as the train goes through and can be heard above it.) Folks can and do get used to that all the time. And the placement of buildings and trees can mean that houses east of this one (i.e. the ones on Wyoming Ave and Grove) are actually subject to LESS "ambient sound." The natural and human-made structures act as sound buffers, helped by the homes' having been constructed with thick walls and good insulation and their being at the same altitude as the tracks.

If it were my choice I'd lean toward the Linden Dr and Wyoming Ave houses over the other two. Four additional possibilities (9 Burns, 232 Worthington, 30 Linden, and 903 Burns) I'm going to assume have been ruled out.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:35 AM

Thanks for all the responses. I appreciate the assistance on this.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:19 AM

171 posts, read 354,219 times
Current Wyoming resident here as well, although short timer as we are unfortunately moving up to Cleveland We are in the village, and love it!!! We sold our house, or else I would say to buy ours We are on Wilmuth.

I know the one on Grove has already moved to that huge house on Burns (old Sterns mansion). I'm sure they are anxious to sell and that can also be part of why it's cheaper. I believe being on a corner has hurt it is as well, and I've heard the neighbors right next door are not the best (messy). I think all that contributes to the lower price. But, the great thing with Grove (that I didn't realize when we moved here), is that it's a wonderful kid friendly street. They have block parties, kids play non-stop over there in large groups. Not sure if you have kids, but if you do, they would have an instant group of friends that all walk to Elm.

Burns - Most kids in that area go to Elm, but you are on a floater street (same with Linden). That house has had renters in it for a few years. It was redone, bought by a family who were transferred overseas. They were not able to sell it due to the tough market, so rented it for a few years. We actually looked at that house 4 years ago. I didn't love that corner, but it's a great house! Kids are right next door as well, and all down that block of Burns. Worthington is a bit of a cut through to get to the highway. Although, I think the price is adjusted for that fact.

Linden and Wyoming - I don't know those houses. Linden will be more family oriented whereas that part of Wyoming is closer to the businesses. Not sure if that would bother you.

I think you have a lot of great houses to choose from. Honestly for me, I would go with the one on Burns (120), that you didn't mention and re-do the kitchen. But, from the ones you did mention, I would probably go with Grove if you have younger kids or Burns/Linden if your kids are older or you have lots of kids and need extra space.

Feel free to shoot me a message if you have any questions...

Old 06-18-2014, 11:59 AM

171 posts, read 354,219 times
Sorry, meant Wentworth is a cut through, not Worthington

Old 06-18-2014, 02:50 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen35 View Post
Sorry, meant Wentworth is a cut through, not Worthington
Welcome back!!! Sorry to hear it won't be for long.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:00 PM

We just agreed to a price on a house in on Linden Dr in Wyoming. Thanks for all your assistance and helpful information! This site has been a huge help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati