Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 07:11 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wth123 View Post
The family dynamic is nothing new. I have no idea why you think it is. The neighborhood has always been this way. I think you are basing your opinion on a small sampling of trips in the main arteries, where multi family, more affordable options for YPs dominate. The neighborhood streets are and always have been family dominated. Nothing new here. Not some sort of transition happening.
No, my opinion is not based on personal observance, not for a large number of years. Based more on what I hear expressed, and just don't often hear Hyde Park touted as a family neighborhood. Sorry if I was misinformed. It just seems the cost of housing in Hyde Park would be detrimental to young families. But apparently there is a larger number of young high wage earners in Cincinnati than I was aware of. Either that or a lot more living off of inheritance.

My first hand knowledge of Hyde Park dates back to the years I worked in Norwood, at Madison & Edwards. It was an old money neighborhood then and certainly not family oriented. So there has been a transition, but evidently over a broad span of years. So enjoy your posh surroundings, as they are still that, and I wish you the best in the pursuit of raising your families. Still think it is a hard sell to portray Hyde Park as one of the more progressive family oriented neighborhoods in Cincinnati.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 07:52 AM

465 posts, read 658,782 times
I was talking to a well travelled friend from another country a few months ago about how much Hyde Park gives us the heebie-jeebies due to that family dynamic, as though we could get pregnant just by walking through. It's not for us. However, I have good YP friends who settle there and I suspect that what I see as a detraction, they see as a draw. YP's who are moving to Cincinnati with the thought that they could settle down with somebody and start a family will feel very welcome there. It's not good to make a blanket assumption that all YP's are the hipster, craft beer and party crowd that gets drawn to downtown and OTR.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:29 AM

7 posts, read 7,200 times
It's obviously very expensive. The majority of families likely can't afford it. That doesn't mean everyone can't. The budget you need for a good family street is very different than what you need for a decent apartment there in your 20's.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:31 AM

Also, mt. Lookout is more family oriented for sure but the neighborhoods basically function as one

Old 07-04-2014, 12:53 PM

114 posts, read 228,728 times
I'm confused by all this talk about Hyde Park being supposedly too expensive for many families when Wyoming is just as expensive...plus if you work downtown you save a ton of money on gas.

Old 07-04-2014, 01:04 PM

Idk what Wyoming cost. I know some people who looked at it as a more affordable option. The meat of the market for family housing is $400-$800k in HP/mt lkt. Regardless of other neighborhoods, that's pricey. The 3 br/ 1 ba variety houses are usually $250-$325k and it's kind of tight for family housing. Don't know how it compares to Wyoming
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati