Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 08:43 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times

Advertisements

OK Cincy, you are dropping the ball. Those of you who express being familiar with St Louis get out here and tell her what neighborhoods are most like where she currently lives, since she says she loves it. Of course if Cincy comes up short that is a good reason to keep quiet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 09:05 AM

549 posts, read 848,133 times
Interesting. Shaw is kind of a mixed bag area. It's making me think that you don't necessarily need to be in the epicenter but just somewhere with activity and energy. If you'd said CWE or Delmar I would've suggested Over-the-Rhine (despite being totally different structurally, they've got a similar vibe) but I think you might actually like Mainstrasse in Covington most. I'd still check out Clifton Gaslight, Northside, Oakley, and Over-the-Rhine but I really think you'd like Mainstrasse.

Is access to a big park a necessity?

PS-I totally meant to say Soulard earlier...I don't know what Seward is. Must've been tired.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:27 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaudeV View Post
Sorry! I should have included that. I live in what is technically Shaw, but can be grouped in with the general Tower Grove area. I am a block away from the Botanical Gardens and Tower Grove Park.

I thought that you were in Soulard. I lived for eight years in Tower Grove East.

Even though the cities share SOME cultural similarities, there really are not a lot of areas in Cincinnati that have the amount of brick architecture that St. Louis has. And the areas that do are generally closer to what you will find more in the CWE - less vibe, if you know what I mean.

I would try a drive through Mt. Lookout, Hyde Park or Oakley to start. Some areas around the University of Cincinnati have the edgy factor you might be looking for with potentially more crime than in Shaw.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:38 AM

465 posts, read 658,489 times
In order, I'd again suggest Northside, the West End (south of Liberty and close to Music Hall) much of the lower sections of Covington (Main Strasse or Greenup) and Newport, Walnut Hills, Mt. Auburn, and possibly Clifton/Corryville/St. Bernard area along Vine north of UC.

The trouble is that many Cincinnati neighborhoods won't be able to have the kind of density that's in St. Louis because it's so hilly here. I think OTR and Mt. Adams are also very good suggestions but may be out of the price range. If they're affordable to the OP, OTR would be at the top of the list, Mt. Adams fourth.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I thought that you were in Soulard. I lived for eight years in Tower Grove East.

Even though the cities share SOME cultural similarities, there really are not a lot of areas in Cincinnati that have the amount of brick architecture that St. Louis has. And the areas that do are generally closer to what you will find more in the CWE - less vibe, if you know what I mean.

I would try a drive through Mt. Lookout, Hyde Park or Oakley to start. Some areas around the University of Cincinnati have the edgy factor you might be looking for with potentially more crime than in Shaw.
I would actually not suggest Oakley, HP or Mt. Lookout, as they really lack diversity or the kind of vibe this poster seems to be looking for (they are more YP and homogenous in their culture). This is also why Main Strasse and Greenup are a bit lower on my list for her, but they're a lot better in those categories.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:43 PM

682 posts, read 1,628,919 times
Cincinnati has nothing exactly like Shaw or Tower grove. OTR is closer to what you might in parts of Shaw but OTR is a good 5-7 years behind.

It will help to know what kind of place you want? Single family detached, row house, condo flat etc. and PRICE range is critical. Its going to be a compromise, depending on the type of property, the level of "Urban pioneering you are comfortable with etc.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationconsultant View Post
Cincinnati has nothing exactly like Shaw or Tower grove. OTR is closer to what you might in parts of Shaw but OTR is a good 5-7 years behind.

It will help to know what kind of place you want? Single family detached, row house, condo flat etc. and PRICE range is critical. Its going to be a compromise, depending on the type of property, the level of "Urban pioneering you are comfortable with etc.
OK, now we are getting down to the brass tacks - the Money. If she is being transferred out of her home town, I doubt it was her choice. Probably one of these take it or leave us propositions. But if she can find a suitable place to live in Cincy, hopefully it can be a peaceful transition. So OP give the people here at least a range for housing so they can best advise you.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:29 PM

3 posts, read 3,343 times
Wow, you all have been so helpful and thorough. I appreciate it all very much.

I would be renting, for starters. I'm young and am only looking at two years in Cincy, max, so I would not want to buy. My boyfriend and I are making the move, price range- no more than $1000/month. Lower would be great, but we would like to be comfortable. We pay $820 here. We have indoor cats, so a yard isn't necessary but, obviously, would be nice. I miss having a porch. A porch would make up for a yard and vice versa. My place now, while I boast about how great it is, does lack private outside space. I'd like to start a garden that isn't in my windowsill.

As far as the style of home, I do not think we are too picky. Whether it is detached or not, apartment, etc., it's more about the other factors. Most of living space in Shaw (our neighborhood) is either single family homes or old houses split up into a handful of apartments. We live in the latter: our building is made up of four apartments. You know the kind of thing I'm talking about.

I do a lot of city biking here. Though we both have cars, I prefer to bike when possible. Is Cincy bike friendly? A place that is not within walking distance of amenities and entertainment but is within bike distance is almost the same thing in my eyes.

Again, I'm blown away by all of the responses. Y'all are great.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:19 PM

Given that, I think Northside's still one of the best bets, as are portions of the West End. Biking probably eliminates Clifton and most of Mt. Auburn or Walnut Hills, you don't want to be going up that hill very often if you can help it. The price range may eliminate OTR, possibly even Covington and Newport, but you may want to keep an eye out for deals in these neighborhoods. I think biking really does open both Camp Washington and my neighborhood, the lower section of Fairview, which is right between Northside and OTR, and is very convenient to bike to either. It will be even easier soon with a protected bike lane that's going to be put in on Central Parkway, the main arterial street to downtown from here. It takes about 7 minutes for me to bike to Findlay Market which I think must be one of the most awesome places in the country to do your grocery shopping, and I ride to Music Hall, and downtown all the time. My neighborhood is pretty diverse for Cincy in population (with about a 50/50 white/black split, the occasional asian student, and several LGBT households,) has old brick houses, most of which have been split into two or more units (like mine, and most, like mine also have porches.) There are galleries and a hip West End bar within walking distance, and Rhinegheist's brewery and taproom is about 5 minutes by bike or 15 walking from here.

It's had its problems with prostitution, but there has been an effort to crack down on that and we haven't been seeing them since the city put up traffic barriers. I guess the good side of this is that rents are very affordable, with 1 BR apartments going for around $450, and 2 BR's going for $650 to $900 depending on how much the landlord's put into the house. Camp Washington's generally about the same in price and has the added benefit of Cincy chilli parlors, but the beer and art offerings are a little less convenient. Other than the sex work, Fairview's safe and doesn't see much crime.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:28 PM

OP ...

In your indicated price range, I also feel Northside is a better fit. And perhaps Camp Washington if you can find a rehabbed property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati