Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 07:36 PM

6,332 posts, read 11,077,735 times

Advertisements

Was surprised to see my old hometown of Hartford at the top of the list. Cincinnati comes in pretty high at number 14. They use a variety of factors to come up with their ideal metro areas.

The Burghard Group | Strengthening Brand America
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 07:43 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,788,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Was surprised to see my old hometown of Hartford at the top of the list. Cincinnati comes in pretty high at number 14. They use a variety of factors to come up with their ideal metro areas.

The Burghard Group | Strengthening Brand America
Just another list out of some think tank. I wonder how many who compiled the list have even been to one of the cities.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Just another list out of some think tank. I wonder how many who compiled the list have even been to one of the cities.
Believe it or not actual facts i.e. statistics do actually mean something. Better a list such as this be compiled by a Think Tank versus a Drunk Tank.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:35 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,822,640 times
I dunno, I'd give some merit to suggestions out of a "drunk tank."
Hartford was in free fall even before the improbably grand G. Fox department store downtown closed and was demolished. It's in league with Gary and Detroit in terms of having nowhere to go but up. What bears mentioning is that the list description makes clear it involves the "MSA" (metropolitan statistical area) and not the city itself.
But this shouldn't be a city vs. city thread, far be it from me to divert it in that direction. I think COL plays a huge role in many a "dream" achievement. There's no denying the correlation between that and how a place is popularly perceived. Just about everything in Cincy is cheaper than in New England, from a "cold one" at a neighborhood bar all the way to a house (save for, ahem, those property taxes) and a public-university degree.

Last edited by goyguy; 06-21-2014 at 01:47 AM..

Old 06-21-2014, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Hartford was in free fall even before the improbably grand G. Fox department store downtown closed and was demolished. It's in league with Gary and Detroit in terms of having nowhere to go but up. What bears mentioning is that the list description makes clear it involves the "MSA" (metropolitan statistical area) and not the city itself.
But this shouldn't be a city vs. city thread, far be it from me to divert it in that direction. I think COL plays a huge role in many a "dream" achievement. There's no denying the correlation between that and how a place is popularly perceived. Just about everything in Cincy is cheaper than in New England, from a "cold one" at a neighborhood bar all the way to a house (save for, ahem, those property taxes) and a public-university degree.
Hartford in league with Gary and Detroit? Not quite. And this is not about Hartford but Cincinnati. I mentioned Hartford because I was surprised to see it rate so high in a number of categories. And Cincinnati as we all know is on the way up after years of taking a nap.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:31 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,019,406 times
Quote:
Hartford in league with Gary and Detroit? Not quite. And this is not about Hartford but Cincinnati. I mentioned Hartford because I was surprised to see it rate so high in a number of categories. And Cincinnati as we all know is on the way up after years of taking a nap.
In numerous ways, Cincinnati may have taken a nap--but culturally, never. In the richness of its fine arts, Cincinnati has remained one of the most cultured mid-sized cities in the nation.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:37 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,788,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
In numerous ways, Cincinnati may have taken a nap--but culturally, never. In the richness of its fine arts, Cincinnati has remained one of the most cultured mid-sized cities in the nation.
YEAH, YEAH, keep saying that, the strength of Cincinnati's cultural institutions. They are what sets Cincinnati apart, much more than some old architecture. Cincinnati has been extremely fortunate to have some generous wealthy people who have helped keep these institutions viable.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:30 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,609,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
New England is not known for having low property taxes. Do some home shopping in Connecticut.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Any city that can come back from something so horrific at the following should have the nation's admiration.

The Cockroach That Ate Cincinnati - YouTube

Old 06-24-2014, 10:23 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,046,776 times
Quote:
Believe it or not actual facts i.e. statistics do actually mean something. Better a list such as this be compiled by a Think Tank versus a Drunk Tank.
Or a Forbes list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: