Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2014, 12:15 PM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times

Advertisements

I plan to replace the gutter on one side of my house. Need to remove an old wooden gutter that is presently in place.

Can anyone recommend someone that does quality work yet won't charge a lot of money? A simple hang of about 40 feet straight is my guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 12:49 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,355,792 times
We were very happy with Ray Sr Clair

Old 06-21-2014, 12:49 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Couple of suggestions.

Have you considered removing the old gutter yourself? It is my guess when it is removed some wood will be exposed. You are going to want to back prime that before hanging a new gutter. If bare wood you want a couple of coats.

Hard to visualize the existing wooden gutter. I have seen everything from tin lined box gutters tied into the actual roof joists to just simple u-shaped boxes nailed to the siding. From the size house you have described I would think this is just a tacked up there job.

Also, check to see whether there is any flashing currently from the roof down into the gutter. You want that to guard against leaks. The new gutter should slide up behind the existing flashing. If no flashing you want some installed, it is a simple job to slide it up under the shingles.

I would look in the local book for a continuous gutter outfit. This is where they form the gutter on the spot, using a roll of metal and a power forming roller. No seams. And the modern screw brackets which fit inside the gutter lip are a 10 times better fastening device than the old nails. Some outfits specialize in gutters only, as I say they have the forming machine. The cost is likely to be proportional to how many trips they have to make. Trips cost them time and money. I would look toward a price per foot over the phone and just tell them to come do it, one trip.

A few years ago I had a new roof installed. As it was already two existing layers it was a tear-off. I told the roofer I wanted new gutters. He said fine but I subcontract that. The gutter outfit he hired brought their continuous gutter machine. It was all 2nd story work for the gutters and I had new downspouts installed. They were at my house less than 2 hours and I had new gutters and downspouts, cost around $600.

Last edited by kjbrill; 06-21-2014 at 01:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati