Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 09:55 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoenberg3 View Post
Moved back to North California after stint at Cincy.
Things that I miss:
1) Those occasional mild, perfect-humidity days
2) Graeters (never had a craving for chili yet)
3) Stately, well-built domiciles in areas like Hyde Park and Indian Hill (they don't build em like that in California)
4) Ault Park

Things I don't miss:
1) Humid hot days, freezing cold days
2) Dangerous/poor areas of OTR, Avondale, Walnut Hills, West Cincinnati etc.
3) General lack of ethnic food options
4) No real mountains, no ocean nearby
I lived in San Mateo County for two years when I first moved out here. Actually spent some time just south of it in San Jose and like it, it's a very nice city. I moved to Orange County just less than a year ago. The culinary scene and parks/open space network in the Bay Area are each among the most superb on the planet, but the laid back beach culture and "urban sprawl treasure trove," as I call it (L.A.), found in parts of Southern California are unique to this area.

The only area in the Midwest I'd consider living in is Chicago, and that's a maybe. I've lived in Louisville and Cincinnati; neither were my cup of tea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 12:04 AM

87 posts, read 166,484 times
The discussion is definitely not suitable for the Cincinnati board, but a very brief version would be that: LA/So Cal certainly has even better food, more cultural options, and better beaches -- but I found that the endless "sprawl," worse traffic, and air pollution made me miss Northern California. (But, all of these places, especially San Jose, have much much more expensive housing than Cincinnati)

All in all, I would not be so troubled if I were forced to relocate to LA. The midwest, on the other hand, is a different story. However, Cincinnati would certainly be the top choice (besides Chicago) if I had to live in the Midwest.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:54 AM

465 posts, read 658,489 times
I live in Cincinnati and miss the diversity and quality of food and the beaches of SoCal, and the 24 hour lifestyle that Cincy's only just starting to get in small pockets. What I don't miss about LA are the expensive rent, house prices, gas, and the surprisingly expensive groceries, save for avocados. Also I don't miss the gridlock, and lack of bike friendliness (not that this has been any better in Cincy until recently) or air quality. If I were to head back, I'd definitely miss Oktoberfest and the sausages, beers and bourbons here, as well as the relative affordability of pretty much everything. I'd also miss Cincy's downtown libraries (particularly the Merc) and the more inclusive and open arts community here.

I like the arts and culture both cities offer, LA's is clearly better and more diverse, but Cincinnati is very strong in this category for a city its size.

Old 07-06-2014, 03:02 PM

8,313 posts, read 3,921,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
As the regulars here know, I had to move up to Columbus for a job this year after I had lost my job in Cincinnati right before the holidays. While I truly like my current job much better...(better coworkers, more responsibilities, better pay).

But, I miss a lot more about Cincinnati than I like about living here in the most boring of the 3Cs in Ohio.
I miss partying in the Banks before and after Reds Games...I'm sure the same will be true when the Bengals are playing...I miss the architecture of OTR...I miss the character of Mt Adams...and while I can still get Graeters up here, and Skyline...what I can't find anywhere...and I mean anywhere is Goetta...I got hooked on it and now I can't find it . I also really miss shopping at Jungle Jims...I can't find anywhere here for some of the ethnic foods I tried...and all the beer choices they had.

Anyways, this is more for those who lurk here that moved away...whether for a job or some other reason...but what do you miss about Cincinnati and the Tri State area.
I did the same thing. Grew up here and then mid career, had to move to Columbus area to take a job. Then 2 years ago I had the opportunity to move BACK to Cincy.

The biggest thing I missed about Cincy was the topography. Columbus is on the edge of the prairie, most of it is ridiculously flat. Trees and landscaping are hard to find especially out in the suburbs.

I also missed the fact there there is virtually no outdoor recreation up there. Cincinnati's park system is far superior, and there are many surrounding parks, hiking, bike trails, etc. Good luck finding any of that in Columbus. Metro parks are OK but pretty boring and flat in most cases (Highbanks is not too bad). You have to go down to Hocking to find anything interesting in the way of trails.

But there are a few advantages. Even though in my years there I think I was the ONLY resident not a Buckeye fan, OSU does add a lot of vitality to Columbus - but generally only if you are near the college age range. (By the way if you are shopping for a house you must learn what a "Buckeye" room is). There are a few good restaurants. Try Schmidt's Sausage house over in German Village; not sure they have goetta but their sausage buffet is awesome.

Anyway I can relate to your sense of loss. At heart Columbus is still just a sprawling cow-town.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:16 AM

87 posts, read 166,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustBeltOptimist View Post
I live in Cincinnati and miss the diversity and quality of food and the beaches of SoCal, and the 24 hour lifestyle that Cincy's only just starting to get in small pockets. What I don't miss about LA are the expensive rent, house prices, gas, and the surprisingly expensive groceries, save for avocados. Also I don't miss the gridlock, and lack of bike friendliness (not that this has been any better in Cincy until recently) or air quality. If I were to head back, I'd definitely miss Oktoberfest and the sausages, beers and bourbons here, as well as the relative affordability of pretty much everything. I'd also miss Cincy's downtown libraries (particularly the Merc) and the more inclusive and open arts community here.

I like the arts and culture both cities offer, LA's is clearly better and more diverse, but Cincinnati is very strong in this category for a city its size.
Agreed you with the expensive rent and gas. Not so much with groceries -- at least in Northern California, produce is about the same cost and vegetables/fruits are of higher quality.

Also on air quality -- I had the worst allergies when I was in Cincinnati but all that disappeared when I moved back. Of course, this might have to do more with the offending allergens than cleanliness of air (although Nor Cal is assoc. with cleaner air than Ohio)

Old 07-07-2014, 11:34 AM

465 posts, read 658,489 times
Northern California air is a lot nicer than Southern California air quality, the dust and smog in LA drove me crazy unless the Santa Ana winds were blowing it away, but yes Cincinnati does have a lot of allergens, so that category is probably in the eyes of the beholder of the allergies. Similarly, I guess produce prices vary by where you may live and shop, but I've found them to be far cheaper here in Cincinnati, especially for organics, than they were in Los Feliz. Maybe I just never knew where to find cheap fresh goods in LA and lucked out on where I find them here.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:31 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times
We moved to Florida a little over three years ago from Cincinnati and I miss:

my friends
Midwest values and work ethic
cheaper prices
the familiarity of my hometown
the Blue Ash library
nonstop flights/charters to Punta Cana
holiday craft shows
better drivers
tulips, daffodils, hyacinths, and lilacs
Skyline chili
Frisch's tartar sauce and onion rings
Busken's smiley face cookies
LaRosa's pizza, hoagies, and calzones
Baressi's chicken florentine and puffy little bread
UDF's pineapple malts
Esther Price candy
North College Hill Bakery's baked goods
Montgomery Inn's ribs and saratoga chips
Grand Finale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati