U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2007, 08:53 AM

5 posts, read 14,136 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am a young single professional relocated to Cinci for work. I have been able to gather a wealth of information reading the other posts about young populations in Hyde Park or Clifton. However, I would like to be closer to work, which is in Loveland right off of 275. I am thinking, Sharonville, Blue Ash, Montgomery, Loveland, any other suggestions?

Things I am concerned about:
1.) Resale value (I have heard the North side is doing better than the rest of Cinci?) I also will probably only be in Cinci a few years before I am moved again.
2.) Taxes (income and property)
3.) Location (to Work and other young (20-30) people)

Any help would be great..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 10:43 AM

351 posts, read 1,686,075 times
There are good values to be had in Glendale (www.glendaleohio.org), which is a historic village right in the heart of where you're looking (it's rifht next to Sharonville, since you already know that, and not far from Blue Ash). There's a nice neighborhood feel to Glendale, and it's right off I-75, one exit from I-275. There is no special income tax, although tax rates might be higher than elsewhere (but they collect the garbage twice a week, florinate the water, and the police watch your house and are happy to know you!). You'll get some eyebrow-raising street cred for a Glendale address.

In terms of real estate value, Cincinnati is currently a buyers market. The market is flat. That is likely to improve in a few years, so if you buy now for as low as you can get, I think you can expect increases by the time you sell. Glendale is considered to be a relatively "non comparable" market, because of its uniqueness, which means that it may hold its value more. After Glendale, I would look at Blue Ash condos, although I can't speak to tax rates or resellability. Shronville, in my personal opinion, is less bang for the buck.

As for social life, I think it's fair to say that you've already been advised. In Cincinnati, people commute fto associatel, and the social scene is located in a variety of locations, from downtown/Mt. Adams to Westchester/Fairfield. Don't let that decide you.

Good luck with it; hope this helps!

Old 12-18-2007, 12:51 PM

710 posts, read 2,649,393 times
If you want to be around a lot of young single people I would recomend you stay inside the city. Oakley or Hyde Park are right on 71.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:54 PM

83 posts, read 401,502 times
I would NOT recommend Sharonville, Blue Ash, Montgomery, and/or Loveland given your specs. I'd look towards the Oakley/Hyde Park area as jlrosen has already mentioned.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRando View Post
I would NOT recommend Sharonville, Blue Ash, Montgomery, and/or Loveland given your specs. I'd look towards the Oakley/Hyde Park area as jlrosen has already mentioned.
Which part of the specs are you saying "no to" on the northern subs? I know that it will not be as densely populated with young people in the north. I had heard that the relastate market is doing better north.

Old 12-21-2007, 05:15 AM

3,751 posts, read 10,209,292 times
You have to remember - there are "city" lovers here, and suburb "accepters". If you understand that there will be less "young" professionals in the 'burbs... then you're really not using that as a criteria anymore because you're saying that you're willing to drive to where the hip action is. The hippest action is in the city (just like most metropolitan areas), but as you've deduced, a lot of the safer real estate bets are in the suburbs. The Northern suburbs are doing fine, but in general here there's a negative perception if you go West of I-75, so be careful of that for future resale value. Glendale is considered very desirable, so I think its an exception (I think it is across the I-75 line).

Sharonville is nothing spectacular, okay houses, but not really climbing in value as it seems to be perceived as just kind of middle of the road. Mason has climbed in value over the years and is still expanding. West Chester is taking off (of course these are both really SUBURBAN). Glendale is closer in and is really charming. Montogmery would be on the EAST side (is BEAUTIFUL and very desirable), so a longer commute - but really cool.

Loveland has a perception of being blue collar, which just means that for the most part the houses have not appreciated as much because it hasn't been as desirable for the people with real money.

Oakly/HydePark (in the city) are one of the hottest areas with a lot to do, but your commute to work will be longer. Plus even in the down market, the cost to get in there is pretty high.

Good luck!

Old 12-21-2007, 11:10 AM

31,166 posts, read 57,317,340 times
Another question I'd have it what kind of house do you want to buy? An older home in an established part of town, a fixer-upper, a condo, a McMansion? Loveland and Sharonville both have some nice older homes in the older parts of town. Montgomery would be worth looking into as well, and a quick commute via the backroads.

If you're not working in Cincinnati, then don't live in Cincinnati unless you really want that experience. Watch out for the variable income tax rates between each village/city (townships in Ohio can't levy income taxes -- if you live and work in a township, you won't pay local income taxes) and whether or not those localities reciprocate (credit you for income taxes paid to the city/village where you work).

Old 12-21-2007, 12:21 PM

520 posts, read 1,694,211 times
If you're working in Loveland, well, its not a bad place to live. I've never heard the blue-collar thing that Briolat mentioned but I've only been in the area a few years and most of the people I work with aren't locals. There are lots of nice places to live around Loveland.

Montgomery is nice and is close to Loveland but housing is pretty expensive.

Sharonville is ok. Glendale is cute. The commute would be 20-30 mins.

Like others have said, not much of a young professionals scene in any of these places.

I'm not sure about the taxes part. If you live in one of the townships you won't have to pay income tax. I think all the towns mentioned do have an income tax but I'm not sure how much it is.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:39 AM

Thanks guys.. This is some great information. I am excited about moving...

Old 12-27-2007, 10:31 AM

710 posts, read 2,649,393 times
sharonville has the highest homicide rate per capita in hamilton county in 2007
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or