Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 07:14 PM

3 posts, read 6,324 times

Advertisements

I am going to be relocating from Detroit to Cincinnati in a few months for a job transfer. I am originally from Columbus and would like to live somewhere north of Cincinnati to cut down on travel time for what I suspect will be frequent trips to Columbus in order to visit family. I am married with two little ones who are pre-school age. My wife and I have zeroed in on the northern Cincy suburbs. Is the commute from Mason to Cincinnati a common commute? I am crazy to consider this commute? On one hand I am hearing horror stories about the traffic in the Cincy area, and then I hear that it is nothing compared to the traffic and volume in the Detroit area. My current commute is approx 32 miles each way and takes a solid 40 minutes when things go right (ie..good weather, no accidents). We are planning to rent a house, condo, town home before we buy....thanks for your thoughts and input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 07:28 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,477,126 times
To help answer your questions, in what part of Cincinnati will you be working? What time of day would you be making the trips in and out?

Old 07-13-2014, 07:39 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,737,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingy1175 View Post
I am going to be relocating from Detroit to Cincinnati in a few months for a job transfer. I am originally from Columbus and would like to live somewhere north of Cincinnati to cut down on travel time for what I suspect will be frequent trips to Columbus in order to visit family. I am married with two little ones who are pre-school age. My wife and I have zeroed in on the northern Cincy suburbs. Is the commute from Mason to Cincinnati a common commute? I am crazy to consider this commute? On one hand I am hearing horror stories about the traffic in the Cincy area, and then I hear that it is nothing compared to the traffic and volume in the Detroit area. My current commute is approx 32 miles each way and takes a solid 40 minutes when things go right (ie..good weather, no accidents). We are planning to rent a house, condo, town home before we buy....thanks for your thoughts and input.
My daughter's company just moved to the Eastgate area of Cincinnati. Before that they were over in Hebron near the CVG airport. For 5 years she drove from Mason to that job via I-71, I-71/I-75, and I-275. Her alotted commute time, 40 minutes, distance 39 miles. If course there were times when that was totally out of wack, usually in the winter when one of our freak weather patterns turned everything upside down. But the majority of time she made it with ease.

Downtown Cincy is a shorter distance and you should expect to make it in about 30 minutes. So yes it is a common commute. Where do you think these 30,000 plus people in Mason work anyway?

Old 07-13-2014, 09:06 PM

3 posts, read 6,324 times
Thanks for the replies thus far, I will be working in downtown Cincy and my commute is expected to be during normal business hours (8-4:30) with some telework and local travel mixed in. I figured that many people in the Mason area must commute to Cincy, I guess maybe I will be one of them.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:12 PM

1,607 posts, read 2,828,685 times
Those commutes will certainly increase with the widening of I-75 and the new MLK interchange on I-71 which starts this month. No way around either. I-75 will take another 8 years. I-71 will take 2 years.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
Those commutes will certainly increase with the widening of I-75 and the new MLK interchange on I-71 which starts this month. No way around either. I-75 will take another 8 years. I-71 will take 2 years.
I-71 is the preferred commute from Mason. I doubt if it is going to be shut down just because they are building an interchange. I have seen a lot of interchanges go up which barely affected the main highway.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:32 AM

1,581 posts, read 1,965,455 times
It's doable via the Metro Bus which picks-up at Kings Island and drops off downtown. Express bus service (no stops)......leaves Kings Island at approx. 7:10 and you'll be at your desk by 8:00. The Bus can travel on the shoulder.....this is a life saver when it rains or there's an accident----car traffic is at a standstill and the bus rolls by on the shoulder doing 40 MPH.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:35 AM

1,581 posts, read 1,965,455 times
FYI: M/I is building a new apartment complex on Kings Mills Road in Mason which is approx. 1 mile from I-71. I'm not sure when it's move-in ready....but I suspect it will be ready in the next 2 months. It looks nice.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:22 AM

OP ... Depending on the length of time you anticipate renting, I would look for a condo to rent. There are many nice condos around Mason, many built while the housing boom was going on. They were admittedly overpriced. The majority are two-story center units with single story end units. Most have 2-car garages. They are in pleasant neighborhoods, some with pools, etc.

Since the housing crash, the resale market for condo units has been extremely soft, no let's say almost non-existent. Some owners who found themselves transferred or otherwise prevented from occupying their condo have been forced to put them up for rent just to keep the mortgage current.

I would definitely be looking for a condo to rent.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:50 PM

OP ...

I will back up a little. Also take a look at the Mason Grand, the new apartment complex off Kings Mills Rd. It is 294 apartments with attached garages and a community pool. Sounds like it could be a pleasant place to live while you are trying to figure out the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati