U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 07:18 AM

9,259 posts, read 14,673,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlkmnsgrl View Post
Fort Wright?

Hotpads has a place on Williams Creek Way, more than I'd like to pay, but still doable. I don't know how to make a link, but that's kind of on the "fancy" side of a good fit as house goes, but not sure of the area.

In contrast, though, the great old houses in Mt Lookout with stained glass, pocket doors, and the big walk up attics are really attractive to me. DH will demand certified lead abatement, though, and I get the feeling Cincy doesn't do that the way Boston does. Correct me, please!
Ft Wright is considered a desirable place. It is right next to Ft Mitchell and Villa Hills. But it will have the I-71/I-75 problem once the Brent Spence project gets off the ground.

Can't find whether Cincinnati has a lead free certification program. Doubt it. They do have a subsidized lead removal program, but it is designed to protect children. One of the requirements to qualify is there be young children living in the house.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 07:20 AM

3,513 posts, read 4,378,237 times
^I don't know all that much about either community. I'm really sorry!

Mt. Lookout is a nice place to live, though. Nice town square, good atmosphere. A little more liberal than Ft. Wright just as an FYI, but keep in mind "Liberal" around here is more equitable to "moderate" around here (we are in the land of Boehner and McConnell, not that they are too far off from mainstream conservatism, but that's a different discussion for a different thread haha).

I assume Ft. Wright is too. I know for certain its atmosphere is more suburban.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:00 AM

10,135 posts, read 24,702,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlkmnsgrl View Post
Fort Wright?

Hotpads has a place on Williams Creek Way, more than I'd like to pay, but still doable. I don't know how to make a link, but that's kind of on the "fancy" side of a good fit as house goes, but not sure of the area.

In contrast, though, the great old houses in Mt Lookout with stained glass, pocket doors, and the big walk up attics are really attractive to me. DH will demand certified lead abatement, though, and I get the feeling Cincy doesn't do that the way Boston does. Correct me, please!

I think all homes sold require lead certification. And, Cincinnati has a lead program:

Lead Abatement Assistance - Community Development

Of course, it is all nanny state nonsense. If your kid ate high lead content radiator paint every day of his life, he might show up in a statistic that one in every 10,000 people exposed to lead paint suffered an ill effect. Much ado about nothing. You are more likely to have a tree fall on you than have an illness related to lead paint.

Mt. Lookout is the most expensive suburb in Cincinnati. Most houses were built after WWI (many after WWII) as compared with much of Hyde Park being built before WWI. It is the only suburb of Cincinnati City limits that has a significant number of newly built homes.

Interestingly, Mt. Lookout residents have about the same life expectancy as the populations of Sweden, Iceland, Switzerland and Japan. 87.8 years. 10 years longer than US average.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:38 PM

120 posts, read 209,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I think all homes sold require lead certification. And, Cincinnati has a lead program:

Lead Abatement Assistance - Community Development

Of course, it is all nanny state nonsense. If your kid ate high lead content radiator paint every day of his life, he might show up in a statistic that one in every 10,000 people exposed to lead paint suffered an ill effect. Much ado about nothing. You are more likely to have a tree fall on you than have an illness related to lead paint.

Mt. Lookout is the most expensive suburb in Cincinnati. Most houses were built after WWI (many after WWII) as compared with much of Hyde Park being built before WWI. It is the only suburb of Cincinnati City limits that has a significant number of newly built homes.

Interestingly, Mt. Lookout residents have about the same life expectancy as the populations of Sweden, Iceland, Switzerland and Japan. 87.8 years. 10 years longer than US average.

Well, my husband is an epidemiologist and our saying is "statistics are comforting until you are one." And, we'd prefer tree-free, too, so that covers 2 statistics, right?

As an archaeologist, I am of the opinion that humanity has survived a remarkable number of exposures over the course of thousands of years, so a little lead paint, likely long since covered by latex, isn't going to kill the kids. But I pick my battles and we go with his preference for lead-abated or post-lead era housing. With 3 kids 4 and under, if we stay and buy, we'll easily fall under the abatement need. Then I'll get to pick the house, either way, and we can go for a historic.

Thanks for all your input and suggestions, everybody. Next step, I'll contact the homeschool groups in those neighborhoods and see what feels like a good fit. That'll narrow it down and then we'll really start looking late-winter for a probably July 1 move date.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:23 PM

9,259 posts, read 14,673,284 times
Hey, you are a good bit out there. Nothing wrong with that, you want to be sure about what you are buying, unlike me who bought my first house in 2 weeks

But it was obvious to me it was a fixer upper. My father was a painting contractor and had seen a lot of houses. I had him look at it and his comment was Looks Like **** Doesn't It! But he said it is all surface dirt, this will clean up nicely.

The hardwood floors looked terrible, but Dad had a friend in the business who was in the same town. He called him, he came up and gave me a price to sand and refinish on the spot, long as it was empty. Great, I have a price to refinish the floors and I can put that against the other costs of moving in.

Go tell the wife I am bidding on the house and she is crying. I get a response back from the realtor shortly, we have bought it.

My Dad says he will go into the house before the floor man does and his crew will wash the entire interior using some strong stuff and they will prime it. After the floors were done they went back and put a finish coat on the interior. You can't believe the difference in that house. The wife decided I was not the SOB she had called me after all. Helps to have a Dad in the painting business.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:16 PM

Ok, 2 months later, dh is in town today and tomorrow, but all he'll see is views to/from the airport in a taxi. Turns out, if hired, he'll be in the other office, which is in the Pleasant Ridge area. So, all my interest in noky is out the window.

Looks less expensive than mt lookout where we thought he'd be, which is a bonus, but that leaves me with a bunch of northern Cincinnati that I haven't looked at at all. So, I know Indian Hills is well liked. What else within 10-15 minute commute of Pleasant Ridge?

Emphasis on safety and a fenced yard, still. Prefer more suburban feel, garage a big bonus. 3-4 bedrooms. Dh really prefers post 1976-ish construction or documented lead abatement on older places.

Anyone have thoughts given the location change? Thanks!

Old 10-27-2014, 07:06 PM

Welcome back!

Yeah, the P-Ridge location should make the rental hunt a lot easier. Indian Hill won't work, I'll save you time there, it's not a "rental" kind of place. Plus, you said you homeschool, so it's definitely not worth the price premium.

I'd keep the Milford listing I posted earlier, because it's decently close (20 minutes) and it meets your criteria the best out of anything I could find. Otherwise, I did a search on Zillow for rentals built after 1976... not much came up near Pleasant Ridge. Here's the search:
http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_rent...22_rect/12_zm/

Out of those, I found a couple others that might be worth a look, a Blue Ash place and 2 Colerain places (I'd still advise against buying in Colerain, but should work for a rental):

9857 Timbers Dr, Blue Ash, OH 45242 is For Rent - Zillow
8267 Spring Leaf Lake Dr, Cincinnati, OH 45247 is For Rent - Zillow
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/23...66899352_zpid/

None of these would have a bad commute because you're either taking side roads or the Cross-County highway, which normally isn't too bad. I'd still argue the Milford apartments have the best commute, just because you're driving through Indian Hill for most of your trip haha. Otherwise Blue Ash is the closest.

If you're willing to deal with a longer commute and potentially bad (very bad) traffic, there's a ton of stuff in West Chester and Mason that meets your criteria. Also, Anderson twp. too - you'll have a longer but more consistent commute than West Chester / Mason and a good number of options.

Good luck!

Old 10-29-2014, 02:56 PM

Thanks OHKID!

I agree, it seems like it'll be easier to find something with a quiet suburban feel. If he's getting off 71 at pleasant ridge, do you think traffic would still slow him down at rush hour? Not sure where it thickens up, but since work would be right off there, I thought of maybe looking farther out along the freeway. Maybe Blue Ash would still be the limit as you said. I'll definitely look at Milford more closely, too.

The great news is the pay is higher than we thought, so if we do it, we can basically go wherever we want to find the right place and we might get a junker car for the commute to scrape a few more years out of our van.

The waiting game might kill me, though...won't find out until around Christmas that we are qualified, won't know that we got Cincy until May. Ugh!!!

Last edited by mlkmnsgrl; 10-29-2014 at 03:19 PM.. Reason: wrong fwy

Old 10-29-2014, 03:53 PM

6641 Bantry Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45213 is For Rent - Zillow
4657 Kugler Mill Rd, Cincinnati, OH 45236 is For Rent - Zillow

Looking at older houses and dh would just have to learn to let the lead thing go. Areas ok?

Old 10-30-2014, 08:24 AM

^The Kugler Mill house is in an excellent area. I can't speak for the Bantry Ave. one in Pleasant Ridge though, just because I'm not as familiar with there. But it's beautiful - definitely could see why you'd want to be there.

Btw, Kugler Mill Rd, as I'm betting you noticed, is a main road through Indian Hill. But that house is on a disconnected section, so it should not get all of the traffic.

Also - traffic - yes, a whole lot of people commute from the northern suburbs like Mason, Lebanon, and Morrow/Maineville down I-71 to get to all of the companies in Blue Ash, around Kenwood, and Pleasant Ridge. It's a busy commute. But others can speak to it better. Actually there was kind of a ridiculous debate on the subject raging here - Oakley-Mason commute in the morning?

Even though your husband won't be going all the way to Oakley, it should encompass his entire commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: