Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 07:14 AM

245 posts, read 333,050 times

Advertisements

Everyone one seems to have forgotten about UC Police.
Police, University of Cincinnati
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 07:21 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
UC could buy every house in Cincinnati and it would not prevent students from being robbed.
I'm unsure about that. How many students are mugged by similar people at Miami or IU?

Old 10-16-2014, 07:30 AM

If UC is unwilling to buy the perps' houses, they should financially support the construction of a new jail. Mug a UC student....go to jail for a very long time. Problem confined to a relatively small area (the jail). Problem solved.

A convicted mugger is basically unemployable (a few exceptions of course....but a good general rule). Sad to say, but what good is ever going to come from their lives? No reason for them to be free to harm productive members of society. For the good of society, they should be confined to prison.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:30 AM

12,107 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
I'm unsure about that. How many students are mugged by similar people at Miami or IU?
I don't know anything about IU. As far as Miami goes, two completely different demographics. Miami is also out in the middle of nowhere and Oxford is a small college town. How many criminal gangs run around Oxford? How many robberies happen in Oxford? There is no way you can compare the two.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I don't know anything about IU. As far as Miami goes, two completely different demographics. Miami is also out in the middle of nowhere and Oxford is a small college town. How many criminal gangs run around Oxford? How many robberies happen in Oxford? There is no way you can compare the two.
You have to compare the two campuses because UC and Miami are competing for the same pool of students. UC has the financial resources to change the demographics of the area surrounding campus to look more like Oxford ($1 billion endowment fund can buy a lot of $80k houses). Tear down the cruddy houses where these criminals live. Create a buffer zone between them and UC's campus. Any criminal will stick out like a sore thumb if they encroach on the buffer zone.

Children's Hospital did it. White folks in OTR are doing it. Why can't UC?

Old 10-16-2014, 07:38 AM

465 posts, read 658,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
UC has recruited out of area students agressively with no place to house them. And, they have utterly failed to communicate the risks of the urban (should I say ghetto) environment for their off campus housing.

This problem is not a couple of isolated incidents. It is a pattern.

And, yes, it is completely Santa Ono's responsibility to provide a secure walking commute around the UC Campus. This he has failed to do. Any other conclusion is moronic.

What is UC's off campus student housing policy?

"Come to Cincinnati and get beat and robbed? Its your problem."
The UC President's job description says nothing of providing students off campus security. On campus is another matter, but if the students and their parents choose for them to live off campus, responsibility for their security goes mostly to the city police. It's their choice to live where they do. They can choose areas near campus that have more private security or less crime such as U-Loop or the Gaslight district, but that costs more, or they can choose to commute from farther away. I'm not sure what your beef with Ono is, it almost seems personal.

Also, I would add that while I hope the police find these criminals, this isn't as big a deal as it's being made out to be. It's been averaging one robbery a week, which seems about equal to most other urban campuses around the country. I went to USC and we had the same amount. UC should not be compared to Bloomington or Oxford, but other city campuses.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:52 AM

35 posts, read 52,994 times
Calling for Ono to resign for off-campus security issues is completely ludicrous.

Do we need a solution to mitigate these problems? Yes.

Does Ono need to resign? Absolutely not.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:03 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:

If UC doesn't get control of the situation, it will make it increasingly more difficult to recruit new students. I personally, would be hesitant to send one of my children to an urban school like UC or OSU.

I have talked to several high school students in NE Ohio who are looking to major in engineering. UC is NOT on their list as the area is generally considered to be unsafe. They will look at Ohio State, Case-Western, and Dayton with no hesitation.

It does not help that the UC police participate in a COPS like show that is frequently aired on cable.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:03 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,037 times
Quote:
If UC is unwilling to buy the perps' houses, they should financially support the construction of a new jail. Mug a UC student....go to jail for a very long time. Problem confined to a relatively small area (the jail). Problem solved.

A convicted mugger is basically unemployable (a few exceptions of course....but a good general rule). Sad to say, but what good is ever going to come from their lives? No reason for them to be free to harm productive members of society. For the good of society, they should be confined to prison.
Outsource the criminal to China. I'm sure we could cheaply house they there for decades or forever.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:06 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I have talked to several high school students in NE Ohio who are looking to major in engineering. UC is NOT on their list as the area is generally considered to be unsafe. They will look at Ohio State, Case-Western, and Dayton with no hesitation.

It does not help that the UC police participate in a COPS like show that is frequently aired on cable.
It's odd that you say that when the school has record enrollment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati