Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2014, 08:46 AM

800 posts, read 781,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
CINCINNATI —An online report about the crime rates on college campuses concludes that the University of Cincinnati is the 13th "most dangerous" campus in the U.S.

Most Dangerous Colleges In America - Business Insider

Most importantly, it doesn't even take into account crimes from the off campus student housing which is the real problem in Cincinnati.
Did you even read through that list?

MIT, Vanderbilt, Duke, Gerogia Tech, Cal Berkely, and UCLA were also all on that list. I suppose no one should send their kids to those schools either?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 09:37 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
Did you even read through that list?

MIT, Vanderbilt, Duke, Gerogia Tech, Cal Berkely, and UCLA were also all on that list. I suppose no one should send their kids to those schools either?

Just why are you talking about Duke, MIT etc. again?

The problem with UC is that it has very little on campus student housing.

At Duke, for example, all undergrads are GUARANTEED 4 years of on-campus student housing.

I bet UC does not have 10% of its undergrad population in on-campus housing.

So, let's stick to the topic - Safety in off-campus housing at UC. Its abysmal.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:52 AM

800 posts, read 781,126 times
Quote:
Just why are you talking about Duke, MIT etc. again?

The problem with UC is that it has very little on campus student housing.

At Duke, for example, all undergrads are GUARANTEED 4 years of on-campus student housing.

I bet UC does not have 10% of its undergrad population in on-campus housing.

So, let's stick to the topic - Safety in off-campus housing at UC. Its abysmal.
Guarantee does not mean the same thing as mandate. While Duke may guarantee four years of housing as do many schools, very few students take them up on it. A lot more freedom which is what kids that age want.

And yes Vandy, MIT, and Berkely are relevant. No one is causing for the respective presidents at these schools to resign even though many of them have considerably worse crime than UC.

I have no idea what Ono has done to you, but he has turned UC into a great school. He has limited power. He can't prevent people from taking a bus to Clifton and committing crimes. Buying up houses will not remedy problems. Should I ask the President of Miami to reign due to crimes the actual students committed?

You don't seem to be advocating equal outcomes here and it just smacks of someone who has an axe to grind. Even as an IU alum I'm all for Ono and UC becoming a great school that makes an impact in our community.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
Guarantee does not mean the same thing as mandate. While Duke may guarantee four years of housing as do many schools, very few students take them up on it. A lot more freedom which is what kids that age want.

Look, I'd like to be polite to you, but you just don't know what you are talking about. You are just trolling.

Duke mandates 100% of undergraduates live on campus for their first three years. About 50% of seniors are in Greek housing, another 30% in Campus housing. So just go back to IU and take your silly responses with you. youare on "Ignore."

Old 10-20-2014, 01:11 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
re: housing -- three years is an exception. i wonder if uc is planning to become a more residential campus. i don't think any of the urban colleges in ohio have more than a one year residency requirement.

i'm sort of impressed with Wilson's ability to make this thread about Ono. He (Wilson) has a remarkable ability to control the conversation.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:39 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
consider the University of Dayton. That's exactly what they did - they bought up all of the surrounding houses, renovated them, and offered them to students. Now over 90% of UD students live in on-campus housing, in a nice neighborhood, where they are still free to throw parties while enjoying the public safety department UD employs to keep unwelcome people out.
UD may own the bulk of the housing in the Ghetto, but the houses in the Ghetto are not "on-campus" housing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
UC is an interesting place. It is not Miami U or University of Dayton. UD students call their housing the Ghetto, yet the neighborhood the college sits in is far from an actual ghetto.
"Ghetto" in this instance is defined as any area where like people gather to live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
After hearing UD calls theirs "public safety", it did kinda make me wish there was a least a cool nickname for ours...
In my UD days, we called campus police "Campus Insecurity".

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
And in none of the seven pages has UC Police jurisdiction come up.
Exactly. The Cincinnati police have to take the lead in protecting the off-campus neighborhoods- along with every other neighborhood in the city - including students and non-students.

Quote:
Duke mandates 100% of undergraduates live on campus for their first three years. About 50% of seniors are in Greek housing, another 30% in Campus housing. So just go back to IU and take your silly responses with you. youare on "Ignore."
Wilson, sweetie, there's no call to be mean. Really.

And can UC can house 100 percent of its underclassmen and 30 percent of its seniors on campus? There would have to be a whole lotta expansion goin' on.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

And can UC can house 100 percent of its underclassmen and 30 percent of its seniors on campus? There would have to be a whole lotta expansion goin' on.
That is the point. That is no excuse for leaving the unsuspecting students to the predators.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:36 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,015 times
I get a really bad vibe at certain places around the UC campus after dark. I agree that a greater police presence would help a lot.

The first place is the area around the BP on Jefferson across from the athletic practice fields. It boggles my mind that this area is so dangerous, considering that the campus security office is (or used to be, not sure anymore) less than a block away in Edwards.

A second dangerous stretch is the walk down MLK and Riddle Road to the popular apartment complexes at the bottom of the hill where many international students live. The students I know who walk down that hill all seem to have stories of being chased, harassed, mugged, and followed.

Another dangerous place is Burnet woods. There is a lot of heroin done there at night, and I think that a lot of the crimes in the surrounding area are done by individuals going to and from Burnet woods.

Finally, anything south of McMillan between Ohio and Auburn (and some would say between Ravine and Auburn) is sketchy at night. There are a lot of wooded areas that people should simply not walk past alone at night.

All of that being said, there are some areas around UC that are a lot safer now than they were 10 years ago. Short Vine and Stratford, while not completely safe, have come a long way. Also, the area over by Stetson square by the hospital used to be a lot worse than it is now.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:03 PM

Attempted daylight rape of UC student on Telford being reported on wcpo

Old 10-20-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Attempted daylight rape of UC student on Telford being reported on wcpo

Police: Man attempted to rape UC student near campus - Story
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati