Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 10:00 PM

24 posts, read 32,930 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Tons of good information on here. Not sure if anyone will be able to add much new to my specific scenario but here goes.

Wife and I are mid-30's and have a young daughter. We are possibly being relocated from Boston area to Cincinnati/Dayton area. If this happens, wife will be working on west side of downtown and I'd be looking at a dreadful commute to NE side of Dayton. We are both from Cincy area originally so we are familiar with the area but haven't lived there in over a decade. We have pretty much decided we want to live as close to Cincinnati as possible since we're thrilled to see so many good things happening in the city over the last few years and want to be a part of it. The problem is trying to find a suitable location that would make my commute at least halfway bearable.

On paper, Mason, West Chester, Liberty Twp make the most sense but we'd really like to find an area that is closer to downtown Cincy and that is somewhat walkable with at least a little downtown with some shops, restaurants, maybe a local watering hole. We love being outdoors so parks and trails are a good thing. Also, we like neighborhoods and homes with a little history and some character. We're not necessarily into "cookie cutter" developments although, we'd consider it if we found a nice neighborhood with a community pool.

Currently we are keying into the Loveland area but don't know much about it. I like the idea because maybe the commute to Dayton wouldn't be so bad if I could avoid I-75?? Wyoming and Glendale area also look interesting. Oakley and Hyde Park would be ideal for what we want except my commute would probably be too much.

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Here's our basic info:

. Where is you current location and environment?
Boston area but live in a rural, woodsy environment

. Are you looking for similar in Cincinnati or a change?
Looking for similar but also want a little more "city" feel. Would like to be able to walk/bike to some local businesses (restaurants, bars, shops, etc.)

. Where will your work location be?
Wife - near downtown Cincy, Me - NE outskirts of Dayton
. Maximum commute time desired?
Wife - less than half an hour, Me - an hour if possible

. What is you budget for housing? about $350k-ish
. Rent or buy? Buy
. Type (Apt., Condo, Single Family) Single Family House
. Size (Approx. Sq. Ft., # Bedrooms & Baths) 3-4 BR, 2+ Bath
. Other specifics?

. Neighborhood environment?
Walkable
Yard
Family Oriented
Mid-urban
Diversity of people and architecture
Very safe/low crime area
Would maybe consider a private neighborhood with community pool, etc.

. Schools?
Would prefer a good school district but will probably consider private schools if we make the move

. Community amenities?
Daily needs within walking distance, shopping, restaurants, parks, etc.
Swimming, fitness center, running track, adult activities
Lots of parks & youth athletic leagues
Jogging & biking trails
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 11:09 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,136,147 times
Hamilton! would be your best choice if you are serious about walkability (sorry, it's late and I couldn't resist pulling out the Hamilton! Ohio haha). Hamilton is actually more walkable and overall has better amenities (like restaurants, coffee shops, bookstores, etc.) than Glendale or Wyoming.

Anyways, the only downside is you will be significantly under-budget. Here's some good housing choices that are walkable to the downtown core:
375 South D Street, Hamilton OH For Sale - Trulia
709 Dayton Street, Hamilton OH For Sale - Trulia (over budget, but it's a beauty)
In particular watch D St. - a lot of stuff that would meet your criteria is there.
Your local watering hole (wish I had this nearby haha)
Home | Ryan's Tavern
Coffee shop
True West Coffee
... and I could keep going but it is late. I might post more of my favorite places (like Richard's Pizza) that would be within walking distance later, but I can assure you it's very walkable.

Also, the commute wouldn't be horrible to NE Dayton (I assume you mean WPAFB) or downtown Cincy. For WPAFB, if you are in Area A, it's an easy drive up Rt. 4 to Union Rd. to US 35 (which is an interstate). Get off just east of 75 on Keowee, take it north back to Rt. 4, and you're home free. If you are in Area B or are a contractor in Beavercreek, just stay on 35 east. To Cincy, 127 south is probably the best shot, and it can be mixed with 275/74 into town if traffic is good on 75 SB between miles 0 and 4.

Otherwise, I have two other suggestions - Lebanon and a new development in Liberty Twp. Lebanon is very historic, and it's walkable - not quite as practical-walkable as Hamilton, but not bad nonetheless. Also, the houses will be under budget again, overall. Here's a couple you might like:
19 N Broadway St, Lebanon, OH 45036 is For Sale - Zillow (over budget)
206 W Silver St, Lebanon, OH 45036 is For Sale - Zillow
115 W Orchard Ave, Lebanon, OH 45036 is For Sale - Zillow (not really walkable)

And the last suggestion is Carriage Hill in Liberty Twp. Overall this is your best bet if you want a newer house. Downside is you'd be waiting until they built most of the amenities, and you're at the lower end of the price range for houses there. But here's a link:
Carriage Hill, Custom Homes, New Home Development, Homearama Cincinnati

Similarly, you could go with Harbour Towne at Wetherington (and live by John Boehner, he lives in the Wetherington development itself). It's over budget by quite a bit, but the upside is it will be walkable to Steiner's new Towne Center, I assume. Because of the over-budget factor, I'm not counting it as a recommendation. Here's a link to a house there:
7064 Harbour Town Dr, West Chester, OH 45069 is For Sale - Zillow
And Steiner's development:
Liberty Center | Mixed-Use Development | Liberty Township, Cincinnati, Ohio

Good luck!

Old 11-17-2014, 09:21 AM

1,581 posts, read 1,964,860 times
Wyoming or Glendale.....Loveland would be too far away, IMO.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:54 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,392,814 times
You won't get walkability or safety in Wyoming. And, it is not near anything nice.
Surrounded on all sides by high crime areas. Glendale is good if you are a squash player and your wife wants to join the Junior League.

You have a problem that is not easy to solve. Give us a little bit of a range for your wife's commute time. Can you divide them say 15-20 min/her 45 min/you?

The NE side of Dayton is 1 1/2 hours from the Western Hills Country Club at rush hour.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:38 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,198,344 times
These commutes, by Ohio standards, are horrible...but for Boston (where people drive in from New Hampshire daily) not so horrible.
People in SW Ohio do them, however. And often because of one spouse working in Dayton and one working in Cincy, as is your case.
I'd go with West Chester off of Cin-Day Road as close to I-75 as possible. Reluctantly. But that is only because of the commute. Not sure it covers any of your wishes.
Be prepared to be shocked at the growth in and around Liberty Twp and West Chester since it's been a while for you. We came back to visit recently. I almost cried.
I'd also rent a small home or condo in the area for a year while you sort your future out.
You gotta get a job in Cincinnati! Then you can start addressing (easily) the amenities you desire.

Last edited by kpl1228; 11-17-2014 at 01:48 PM..

Old 11-17-2014, 01:46 PM

1,607 posts, read 2,828,189 times
How is it horrible for some and not so for others traveling the same distances?

Old 11-17-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
How is it horrible for some and not so for others traveling the same distances?

Some people have a higher tolerance for the irritations of everyday life.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
You won't get walkability or safety in Wyoming. And, it is not near anything nice.
Surrounded on all sides by high crime areas. Glendale is good if you are a squash player and your wife wants to join the Junior League.

You have a problem that is not easy to solve. Give us a little bit of a range for your wife's commute time. Can you divide them say 15-20 min/her 45 min/you?

The NE side of Dayton is 1 1/2 hours from the Western Hills Country Club at rush hour.

They are calling it Lockland, but as far as I know, Wyoming and N. Wayne is where Wyoming people shop. And, the two murder victims from a daylight street shooting won't care if the boundary line is a couple hundred feet from Wyoming.

Again, it is just not safe there.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:48 PM

24 posts, read 32,930 times
Thanks for the info so far.

OHKID - Hamilton is a nice city. I should know since I was born and raised there. As much as I'd like to move back home, I think we would prefer something a little closer to Cincy for two reasons. #1 - Going to Cincy was always a production when I was growing up in Hamilton. Going to Findlay Market or a ballgame was an all-day affair. I'd like to live close enough to pop downtown or to OTR for a quick dinner and be home before the kid's bedtime. #2 - I'd like my wife's commute to be half hour or less.

Wilson513 - Thanks for info on Wyoming. I always thought Wyoming/Glendale areas were just nice, yuppy-ish areas. I noticed on Zillow though that one block over from the $300-400k houses in Wyoming are homes for $50k. So it looks like Wyoming may not be an option. I'd like my wife's commute to be half an hour or less and I'd like my commute to be an hour or less if possible. Also, you're correct ... I have a "high tolerance for the irritations of everyday life." I commuted 110+ miles per day for 3 years and 80+ miles per day for another two while driving through Boston traffic and weather.

I'm keying into Loveland area because it puts my wife around 20 miles from work and me about 48 miles from work if i take OH-48 through Lebanon. Does anyone have any idea how long the commute to Dayton would be from Loveland on 48 during rush hour? Also, it appears that Loveland has a little downtown with some restaurants and shops.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:37 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,136,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alohamonkey View Post
Thanks for the info so far.

OHKID - Hamilton is a nice city. I should know since I was born and raised there. As much as I'd like to move back home, I think we would prefer something a little closer to Cincy for two reasons. #1 - Going to Cincy was always a production when I was growing up in Hamilton. Going to Findlay Market or a ballgame was an all-day affair. I'd like to live close enough to pop downtown or to OTR for a quick dinner and be home before the kid's bedtime. #2 - I'd like my wife's commute to be half hour or less.

Wilson513 - Thanks for info on Wyoming. I always thought Wyoming/Glendale areas were just nice, yuppy-ish areas. I noticed on Zillow though that one block over from the $300-400k houses in Wyoming are homes for $50k. So it looks like Wyoming may not be an option. I'd like my wife's commute to be half an hour or less and I'd like my commute to be an hour or less if possible. Also, you're correct ... I have a "high tolerance for the irritations of everyday life." I commuted 110+ miles per day for 3 years and 80+ miles per day for another two while driving through Boston traffic and weather.

I'm keying into Loveland area because it puts my wife around 20 miles from work and me about 48 miles from work if i take OH-48 through Lebanon. Does anyone have any idea how long the commute to Dayton would be from Loveland on 48 during rush hour? Also, it appears that Loveland has a little downtown with some restaurants and shops.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.
haha very cool! I saw in your original post that you said you were from the area, very cool you were from Hamilton haha. I'm a bit of a booster, just because I go through there frequently and I've seen a ton of positive movement there, but I can completely understand how you would not want to move back to your hometown.

Anyways, the commute to WPAFB-ish from Loveland would be about an hour and ten minutes without heavy traffic. You can almost ascertain you won't be dealing with much traffic if you take US 42 to get to that part of town. 42 to 48 right into Loveland is a nice, easy, reliable route. I wouldn't mess with I-675 much unless you had to because it normally has the worst traffic tie-ups in the Dayton area (aside from 75 through downtown).

But now that I have some more context on what you want, I don't think Loveland is your best bet.
I actually think Milford is a far better fit.

It's a bit further south, unfortunately, but it arguably has one of the nicest downtowns in SW Ohio. Right on the Little Miami River, plenty of good amenities right in town, and highly walkable. Milford would meet your criteria very well. I was only able to find one house there that met your criteria, but it checks off every box well. Here it is:
128 Cleveland Ave, Milford, OH 45150 is For Sale - Zillow
Also, it's about a quarter mile down the hill to get to town from this house, but here's what you'll find once you are there:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1728...7IXZ1eltmg!2e0

Parks, restaurants, a small market, shops, the library.... all right there. Loveland doesn't have any of that within walking distance. Downside is Milford would add 7 minutes each way to your commute. The completely traffic adverse route would take 1 hour and 23 minutes, it's below:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/39.1...d39.818588!3e0

And the "I'm willing to deal with I-71 traffic around Mason and I-675 traffic around Dayton" route - shaves off 8 minutes:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/39.1...d39.818588!3e0

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati