U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Is Cincinnati tolerable to all races and mixed couples?
Yes 26 48.15%
No 12 22.22%
Maybe 17 31.48%
Not a chance 5 9.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 02-12-2016, 10:07 PM
 
1,046 posts, read 966,238 times
Reputation: 473

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Well, in your case, you think you live in a diverse community; this is what white suburbanites think when the African American community is 3% of the population.
You come from a place that according to the link below is 94.6% white, 1.6% black. That neighborhood is even less diverse than mine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamm%27s_Corners

I know you may find this hard to believe, but there are other reasons that diversity which people take into account when deciding on a place to live. You seem to pride yourself on maybe perhaps now living in a more diverse community in Cleveland than where you grew up at (kamms corners) which was only 1/6% black and 94.6% white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
See, maxmodder is always in the Cleveland forum; I guess he has some Cleveland issues since he constantly has to reaffirm that his life is good. Somethings up.

I don't have any problem with Mason, OH and, if you choose to follow the posts, was simply pointing out maxmodder's ''tolerance'' while he lives in a community and county with 3% African American population.

You do provide some fun reading though so it's hard to resist the Cinci forum. The Creation Museum and Noah's Ark was hilarious (remember your theory that they near Cinci b/c of its airport) or your insider knowledge that Cinci was landing the 2016 Republican Convention, the Cinci ''powers'' were going to make it happen.

I lived in Cinci and yet you're in the Cleveland forum, a city you've never even visited.
I don't need to reaffirm anything LOL, I simply state facts and back them up with links rather than playing guessing games like you do.

Yawn.....maybe someday someone will try and call out a neighborhood as being less diverse than where they grew up, but then when the numbers are pulled, try and play it off like 1.6% is > 3% and 85% is > 94.6%!

Oh wait.. that already happened LOL!

 
Old 02-13-2016, 11:34 AM
 
5,133 posts, read 7,759,651 times
Reputation: 1951
I'd say Cincinnati has less racial problems than some similarly sized cities. I've never had anyone in Cincinnati even remotely suggest I was a racist. Have heard it overtly and subtly in both Indianapolis and Kansas City areas.

I do know this, when someone stoops to calling others racist without a shred of evidence, eventually it causes people to dismiss the accusation as a lie and also question the accusers rational thinking ability. The best way to create a racist environment is to continually play the race card. Eventually it may come to fruition if that hand is used enough.

Last edited by WILWRadio; 02-13-2016 at 11:56 AM..
 
Old 02-13-2016, 11:51 AM
 
1,046 posts, read 966,238 times
Reputation: 473
^
Haven't you heard the latest though? If you aren't living in a place that has AT LEAST 50% non white residents, you are "tolerating" LOL! The race card can't be pulled, so the "tolerable" card gets pulled. I've heard it all now.....
 
Old 02-13-2016, 11:58 AM
 
5,133 posts, read 7,759,651 times
Reputation: 1951
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
^
Haven't you heard the latest though? If you aren't living in a place that has AT LEAST 50% non white residents, you are "tolerating" LOL! The race card can't be pulled, so the "tolerable" card gets pulled. I've heard it all now.....
Sounds like convoluted logic if you ask me. Makes no sense at all.

I'd say 100 years ago, and even into the 60's there were still a lot of racial problems in this country. But over the last couple of generations that has changed and the younger people seem less prone to making these statements. Personally I only hear it from my generation, The Baby Boomers and not from the elderly or 20 somethings. Seems to suggest it may be a figment of their imagination. They create or want to create problems where none exist probably because they enjoy drama in their otherwise boring and meaningless lives. Can't find something constructive to do, thus, create a problem for the sheer pleasure of it.
 
Old 02-13-2016, 03:21 PM
 
3,317 posts, read 3,096,546 times
Reputation: 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
The best way to create a racist environment is to continually play the race card.
Or call black people monkeys who should all be shipped back to Liberia with smallpox blankets. And immediately leave restaurants when black families sit by them, mocking the family on the way out. These comments are what many of the people I know honestly believe. I have friends my own age (mid 20s, white male) that very much feel this kind of action is justified. And yes, they are my friends, and will continue to be whether they are racist or not.

IMO the only way to fix racism is law. People are going to continue to be racist no matter what. I have certain groups I have strong negative biases against too, and I do everything I can to avoid people of that race because I know I'll say something horrible when I'm around them. Simple life fact.

And for me, like everyone else where I'm from, it's been knocked into us from a young age, and where I'm from is very similar culturally to provincial Cincinnati. You could drop my hometown where Ross is, directly north of Colerain, and no one would know the difference.


So sure, playing the race card can cause issues but we also can't pretend that all is hunky dory in the world and race doesn't matter. It does. We all have privilege with certain groups based on the way we look, like it or not...
 
Old 02-13-2016, 03:32 PM
 
5,133 posts, read 7,759,651 times
Reputation: 1951
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
Or call black people monkeys who should all be shipped back to Liberia with smallpox blankets. And immediately leave restaurants when black families sit by them, mocking the family on the way out. These comments are what many of the people I know honestly believe. I have friends my own age (mid 20s, white male) that very much feel this kind of action is justified. And yes, they are my friends, and will continue to be whether they are racist or not.

IMO the only way to fix racism is law. People are going to continue to be racist no matter what. I have certain groups I have strong negative biases against too, and I do everything I can to avoid people of that race because I know I'll say something horrible when I'm around them. Simple life fact.

And for me, like everyone else where I'm from, it's been knocked into us from a young age, and where I'm from is very similar culturally to provincial Cincinnati. You could drop my hometown where Ross is, directly north of Colerain, and no one would know the difference.


So sure, playing the race card can cause issues but we also can't pretend that all is hunky dory in the world and race doesn't matter. It does. We all have privilege with certain groups based on the way we look, like it or not...
I've learned it is best to hate everyone regardless of their race, creed, color or religion. Makes life easier if you hate everyone simply for being, not merely due to superficial characteristics.:-)

The comments you make I have not heard people make in decades. But bear in mind there is plenty of racism that works against ALL people of ALL backgrounds. Whites agains Blacks. Blacks agains Whites. Hispanics against Blacks. Blacks against Hispanics. Whites against Orientals. Orientals against Whites. Were you aware there are still some Oriental cultures that frown upon interracial marriages?

So yes, some racism still exists in the world but it is hardly ONLY Whites against anyone that is NOT White. Keep calling people racist or some other negative aspect and yes, it really could create racism. People resent being called something they are not especially if it is pounded into their brain that they are this or that when they really are not.

I try to look at the positive and not dwell upon the negative. This link is to a project that has been going on in my hometown in Connecticut for 50 years. Works well. Perhaps something like it should be tried in the Cincinnati region?

http://www.simsburyabetterchance.org/

Forcing people to do something they'd rather not do (through government intervention) only serves to drive a bigger wedge and divide among people. People resent being pushed around and it is likely to be met with resistance. It will not solve the problem.

Last edited by WILWRadio; 02-13-2016 at 03:47 PM..
 
Old 02-14-2016, 10:29 AM
 
3,260 posts, read 2,478,698 times
Reputation: 1246
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
You come from a place that according to the link below is 94.6% white, 1.6% black. That neighborhood is even less diverse than mine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamm%27s_Corners

I know you may find this hard to believe, but there are other reasons that diversity which people take into account when deciding on a place to live. You seem to pride yourself on maybe perhaps now living in a more diverse community in Cleveland than where you grew up at (kamms corners) which was only 1/6% black and 94.6% white.



I don't need to reaffirm anything LOL, I simply state facts and back them up with links rather than playing guessing games like you do.

Yawn.....maybe someday someone will try and call out a neighborhood as being less diverse than where they grew up, but then when the numbers are pulled, try and play it off like 1.6% is > 3% and 85% is > 94.6%!

Oh wait.. that already happened LOL!
Well, when one grows up in a segregated city like Cleveland, which unlike Cincinnati, is based on ethnic and racial lines, you were well aware of being called out as being ''racists'' by people living in white suburbs, the residents of which needed to work-off their white guilt by supporting policies et al in the city that did not effect them. In this case, we have the modern version of the white suburbs in Mason OH, complete with it being out of Hamilton County, thinking it is ''diverse'' and tolerant. It's an old story.

The inner-ring suburbs got too black; now it's time to head out to the next adjacent county. Welcome to Warren County, Ohio. This being the same county where a burnt-cross on roadside I-71 greeted travelers in the northbound lane, although you could see going south as well. Some farmer had it there, complete with a huge (the whole roof) Confederate Flag painted on his barn. So glad all that diversity has replaced this history in Warren County.
 
Old 02-14-2016, 10:57 AM
 
1,046 posts, read 966,238 times
Reputation: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Well, when one grows up in a segregated city like Cleveland, which unlike Cincinnati, is based on ethnic and racial lines, you were well aware of being called out as being ''racists'' by people living in white suburbs, the residents of which needed to work-off their white guilt by supporting policies et al in the city that did not effect them. In this case, we have the modern version of the white suburbs in Mason OH, complete with it being out of Hamilton County, thinking it is ''diverse'' and tolerant. It's an old story.

The inner-ring suburbs got too black; now it's time to head out to the next adjacent county. Welcome to Warren County, Ohio. This being the same county where a burnt-cross on roadside I-71 greeted travelers in the northbound lane, although you could see going south as well. Some farmer had it there, complete with a huge (the whole roof) Confederate Flag painted on his barn. So glad all that diversity has replaced this history in Warren County.
They were working off their white guilt? I don't even know what that means. White people in suburbs were calling others in Cleveland not living in those suburbs as "racists"? What I can tell you is that I lived in MS for 4 years and certain places of that state is very racist. People in Cincy and Cleveland think those locations are racist? Try MS for awhile.
 
Old 02-14-2016, 09:20 PM
 
3,260 posts, read 2,478,698 times
Reputation: 1246
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
They were working off their white guilt? I don't even know what that means. White people in suburbs were calling others in Cleveland not living in those suburbs as "racists"? What I can tell you is that I lived in MS for 4 years and certain places of that state is very racist. People in Cincy and Cleveland think those locations are racist? Try MS for awhile.
When white Catholic ethnics lived in Cleveland, the Heights suburbanites (WASPs & Jews) meddled in Cleveland's local politics and blamed the ethnic Catholics for the city's race troubles while they got back in their big cars with no direct consequences to them, other than making themselves feel good. They had a special disdain for the West Side Irish, certainly a force in politics then and now. This is where the whole ''the east siders are in the New York orbit, the west side gravitates to Chicago'' b.s. came from.

The forced busing issue really widened this divide; again, the white east side suburbanites marching to integrate schools their kids would never be near. All the white ethics headed for the suburbs in even larger numbers; hence, the white suburbs calling white city residents racist.

I thought you were from Cleveland? You should already know all about this.

Today's version of the old segregated city neighborhoods are found in outer-ring suburbs like Mason, OH in Warren County. The difference today is that a place like Mason OH has a 3% African-American population and the folks, like you, are proud of the diversity all around them. Old school city neighborhoods made no qualms about it. In a place like Cleveland, that included racial and ethnic boundaries; the ethnic thing was never a Cincinnati issue. Non-Italians never went to Little Italy and the same applied to the quilt of ethnic neighborhoods. Blacks stuck together as did all the ethnic groups.

There are Mason, OHs all over the country.
 
Old 02-14-2016, 09:26 PM
 
3,260 posts, read 2,478,698 times
Reputation: 1246
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I've learned it is best to hate everyone regardless of their race, creed, color or religion. Makes life easier if you hate everyone simply for being, not merely due to superficial characteristics.:-)

The comments you make I have not heard people make in decades. But bear in mind there is plenty of racism that works against ALL people of ALL backgrounds. Whites agains Blacks. Blacks agains Whites. Hispanics against Blacks. Blacks against Hispanics. Whites against Orientals. Orientals against Whites. Were you aware there are still some Oriental cultures that frown upon interracial marriages?

So yes, some racism still exists in the world but it is hardly ONLY Whites against anyone that is NOT White. Keep calling people racist or some other negative aspect and yes, it really could create racism. People resent being called something they are not especially if it is pounded into their brain that they are this or that when they really are not.

I try to look at the positive and not dwell upon the negative. This link is to a project that has been going on in my hometown in Connecticut for 50 years. Works well. Perhaps something like it should be tried in the Cincinnati region?

Simsbury ABC

Forcing people to do something they'd rather not do (through government intervention) only serves to drive a bigger wedge and divide among people. People resent being pushed around and it is likely to be met with resistance. It will not solve the problem.
Just sayin', but I haven't heard the term ''Orientals'' in a looong-time so it's funny that you call out someone for comments not heard in decades. Guess what? Orientals is one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top