Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 12:43 PM

710 posts, read 3,045,077 times

Advertisements

as far as downtown rents go, you shouldn't pay over $1/square foot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 01:58 PM

5 posts, read 23,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey_too_expensive View Post
bdh02-
Congratulations on the new job and move to Cincinnati. I don't think you mentioned where you'll be moving from, but I think you'll find Cincinnati a very nice place to call home. My wife and I moved here from New Jersey about a year ago, and we like it just fine so far.

In terms of living across the river in Northern Kentucky: very feasible. You really CAN just walk across one of the bridges (Roebling, for example) and into downtown. People go to the games this way all the time. You could ride a bike (or drive, take the bus, etc.). It's a very accessible downtown, with alot to offer -- minus the congestion and traffic jams of more densely populated cities.

Traditionally, east side of Cincinnati = white collar, west side = blue collar, but there are plenty of exceptions to this unwritten rule. Figuring out how much you can afford and what is most important to you are good first steps. Example: while it's easy to find great restaurants and nightlife downtown, it's not as easy to find a regular old supermarket. There is a Kroger (the local chain) in Over-The-Rhine, but I've never been there so I couldn't tell you how good it is. Findlay Market is downtown, too (also in Over-The-Rhine), but that's not as realistic an option for day-to-day shopping. None of that might matter to you, however, because you might want to eat out every night -- so consider that stuff first.

Below are some links I hope you'll find useful. Best of luck and welcome to Cincinnati!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Space 513.com: (Cincinnati area code = 513) Your Guide to Cincinnati's Best Restaurants, Entertainment and Attractions - Space513.com

Official City of Cincinnati site: City of Cincinnati -Live & Work

CincinnatiHome (information about many of the neighborhoods mentioned above, including some virtual 'tours' -- some of it is dated, but still applicable): CincinnatiHome - The City's Home Address

Downtown Cincinnati.com: Downtown Cincinnati Incorporated :: Main

New to Cincinnati:
A fairly new blog all about your situation: people who are new to Cincinnati! New to Cincinnati

Official City of Covington site:
City of Covington, Kentucky

Official City of Newport site:
:: City of Newport, Kentucky ::
Wow... thanks a ton for all the great info! I appreciate it!

I'm moving from Fayetteville, Arkansas. I'll be graduating in May from the University of Arkansas, and I've got an internship with MLB.com covering the Cincinnati Reds. That's what brings me to the city.

I'm really excited. I lived in Memphis, Tennessee until I was about 14 years old, then moved to Jonesboro, Arkansas for junior high and high school. I graduated, and now I'm in college at the U of A in Fayetteville. Through it all, though, I've always loved the big city more than anything. It's going to be great living in one again.

All I've heard are great things about the city, so I can't wait.

Which of the northern Kentucky cities is better to live in? Closer to downtown? Cheaper? Safer?

Thanks again!

Old 01-08-2008, 02:17 PM

newport is closer to the stadium than covington, but both virtually have direct line of sight. I would say there is more to do in Covington than Newport for a person of your age. You can take the southbank shuttle to the stadium for 1.25 per way, or walk from downtown or newport. Covington is walkable after you've been drinking so you don't get a DUI, but it isn't something you'll want to do every day

Old 01-08-2008, 03:13 PM

62 posts, read 298,055 times
Default Local newspapers...

The Cincinnati Enquirer (The Enquirer) publishes a weekly tabloid/zine-type paper called CiNWeekly (CiN Weekly) that has a great apartment rental guide. I'm not sure if the online version has the same info, but there are plenty of affordable apartments in the area. In terms of safety, Newport or Covington are probably equally safe. From my limited knowledge of both areas, I'd say the closer you are to the river, the better off you are. Plus the views of the Cincinnati skyline are the best in the area.

CityBeat (City Beat (http://citybeat.com/gyrobase/Home - broken link)), another weekly tabloid/zine (but this one with a more independent voice, not controlled by the Enquirer) might have useful information as well.

Trump is building an insane-looking high-priced skyscraper (of sorts), called the Ascent: The Ascent Riverfront Condos - Condominiums for sale in the Cincinnati area -- most people either love it or hate it. The place is ridiculously expensive, but I just thought I'd mention it in case anyone tries to give you flack about living in/near Kentucky

Again, best of luck and congratulations! I think you'll like it here (alot!)

Old 01-09-2008, 07:56 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
If it were between Newport and Covington, I'd choose Newport. I like the feel of the city better than Covington. Next door to Newport is Bellevue, which is very nice as well, with a bit more of a small-town feel.

Any of them would be convenient for you; Newport and Covington literally are within walking distance of downtown via (counting on fingers) four bridges, one being pedestrian only which is much easier on the nerves than having cars whizzing past you with only a flimsy metal rail between you and speeding traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey_too_expensive View Post
There is a Kroger (the local chain) in Over-The-Rhine, but I've never been there so I couldn't tell you how good it is.
Unless the store has cleaned up a kazillion percent over the past several years, or has eliminated the department altogether ... Steer clear of the produce.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:07 PM

if you live downtown there is no reason to buy produce from anywhere aside from Findlay Market. they have the best selection and prices by far.

the kroger has been renovated recently and is decent, nothing spectacular but you can get the staples no problem

Old 01-10-2008, 12:52 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Cincinnati: a city of rednecks, riots, and racial tensions

YouTube - Cincinnati, Ohio - Population Loss

YouTube - When Police Riot

Old 01-10-2008, 01:20 PM

The population loss was wrong, turns out cincinnati is growing

Old 01-10-2008, 07:10 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,859,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Cincinnati: a city of rednecks, riots, and racial tensions

YouTube - Cincinnati, Ohio - Population Loss

YouTube - When Police Riot
The rednecks are there but who really cares. The riots were like 7 years ago and the racial tensions at least in my part of town are pretty much nonexistent. The Cincinnati you're thinking of isn't nowhere as bad as you're making it to be.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:50 PM

^I agree (the 10 character limit is stupid and a waste of time)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati