Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 04:07 PM

7 posts, read 7,808 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to the Cincinnati area in June for my job. My job will be split between The University of Cincinnati and another site in Mason. We would like to live outside of a Cincinnati address. We would like to rent a house (ideally under$1600) with a yard because of our dogs. We really like nice restaurants, craft beer and wine bars. We also really love outdoor activities such as hiking, biking, camping, kayaking and snow sports as well. We looked around the area and looked at a lot of areas but still are at a lose. Lots of people recommended Mason but we would like something with less chain stores and cookie cutter homes. If you all could give us some info that would be great!! I would prefer a 30 minute or less commute but would consider longer for a great area.

Areas we looked at: Loveland, Milford, Mason, West Chester, Anderson Twp, Oakley, Hyde Park, Ft Mitchell and Newport.

Thanks so much for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 06:07 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,156,848 times
Why outside Cincy city limits?

And how much land are you looking to have/not have?
Do you want walkability?
Would you like an older house with character or a new build (which will be hard to find in a neighborhood of non cookie-cutter homes)?

The places you looked are drastically different from one another. I can't get a good sense of what direction you're trying to go as far as housing. If you don't mind me asking, where are you currently located? What do like/dislike about it? Can you think of an ideal community somewhere in this nation which has qualities you would like to emulate in Cincinnati?

Old 02-05-2015, 08:02 PM

Why outside Cincy city limits?
-My husband is a firearms instructor and the laws are more restricting inside on Cincinnati.

And how much land are you looking to have/not have?
-We are not really picky on the size. We just have two dogs so we would like to have a small fenced yard at least. Would love to have a larger area but we know that may not be possible within our budget and commute.
Do you want walkability?
-Would love to be within walking distance of things like local restraunts and farmers market.

Would you like an older house with character or a new build (which will be hard to find in a neighborhood of non cookie-cutter homes)?
-We like houses with character rather than a newer home.

The places you looked are drastically different from one another. I can't get a good sense of what direction you're trying to go as far as housing. If you don't mind me asking, where are you currently located? What do like/dislike about it? Can you think of an ideal community somewhere in this nation which has qualities you would like to emulate in Cincinnati?
Rate this post positively
-the places I looked at while there were suggestions from my different friends and future co workers in the area. I feel they all had a very different opinion given the same info. Right now we live in Overland Park KS and it is great because we have an older home with a two car garage, small fenced yard, basement and we are within a few blocks from the farmers market as well as local restaurants. I Would prefer to not have a bunch of chain businesses. We know we won't be able to get everything we want.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:10 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,156,848 times
Haha thanks for the reply!

I'll give you a couple quick names of cities to research tonight if you would like and do a more detailed post tomorrow with a few house options, neighborhood choices, etc.

Considering what exactly you want, the first thought that comes to mind is Montgomery, specifically near its downtown core. But I doubt it has many rentals in your price range. Other than that it seems to meet your criteria well - houses with character and some yard but not a ton of it, walkable, local shops and restaurants, looser regulations, etc. And right in the middle of your commutes off I-71. That would be the dream situation. But not likely to work in reality...

So the next best options would be (in what I would consider the order of best fit for your interests)...
- Downtown Milford
- Downtown Lebanon (commute is no fun)
- Glendale
- "Downtown" Mason (particularly between the core and the high schools)
- Downtown Covington (along the licking river)
- Downtown Hamilton (C st or the Dayton Lane historic district)

I'd say all these are at least worth a look. And later I'll post specific examples.

Good luck!

Old 02-05-2015, 11:18 PM

Thanks so for the reply! I will check these out.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:57 AM

610 posts, read 796,395 times
I see you mentioned you looked at Hyde Park and Oakley and just want to point out that those are part of the city.

I think Montgomery makes sense, wouldn't hurt to look at Maderia and around Kenwood. Not sure on house rental prices though.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:04 AM

10 posts, read 12,598 times
Loveland is known for canoeing/running/biking. Hiking you can do pretty much anywhere in this area.

I'd avoid Newport Ft. Mitchell and Anderson because they're (relatively) far away from both of your worksites. Commutes here are shorter than in other cities though, so I don't know your frame of reference. Where are you moving from?

Old 02-06-2015, 10:17 AM

Thanks for pointing out that Hyde Park and Oakley are in Cincy. I thought that they were after looking at a map but those were suggested by another forum. I will take a look at Montgomery tonight! Thanks for the info.

After cruising through Ft. Mitchell and Newport they didn't seem to be what I was looking for. Anderson is a huge area and it was hard to pin point a certain area.

I currently live in Overland Park right by Kansas City on the Kansas side. It's a short commute for both of us. Under 15 min for us.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:25 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
If you are looking for a sub 15 minute commute, it is not likely outside of Cincinnati unless it is in NKY across the river.

But you have stated looking at Ft. Mitchell and Newport finding nothing of interest. There are many other areas across the river. Look at all of them, some are very nice with a close commute.

Old 02-06-2015, 02:30 PM

I'm not looking for a commute under 15 min. I am looking for under 30 min if possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati