Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2015, 10:46 AM

114 posts, read 227,244 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any info or experience with the condos in the northern-most part of Wyoming? There is a little development of them off of Rolling Hills Drive. There are quite a few for sale and the prices seem good to get into Wyoming but I'm wondering they are Wyoming in name only and are really more like living in Woodlawn (which I think is directly to the north and east).

I'm looking for a family member and haven't driven out there yet but just wanted to get some thoughts from some of the esteemed posters on this board
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 11:00 AM

5,258 posts, read 5,179,219 times
I think those condos are actually in Woodlawn...they are right off of Rt 4.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:09 AM

114 posts, read 227,244 times
If you search google maps for Wyoming, OH it shows they are just inside the Wyoming city limits:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wy...edc80272d50ab0

Auditor's website confirms that.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:18 PM

4,882 posts, read 13,745,647 times
Yes, until the '60s the land plot starting at the NW corner of Springfield Pike and Bonham Rd was owned by Hamilton County for a juvenile detention farm called Hillcrest. Then a large chunk of it was annexed to Wyoming (which was thirsty for retail tax revenues) for the construction of a KMart store. (The Hamilton County FOP put in a building fronting on Bonham, and a bank which is now a PNC branch went in facing "the Pike," also.) A few retail transitions down the line, the by-now vacated store was taken over through eminent domain. And the ironically named Rolling Hills "landominium" development - ironically named because it's situated on flat acreage - rose in its place.

It's safe to say that a notable majority of Rolling Hills homeowners are Wyoming retirees and/or widow(er)s who outgrew their however-many bedroom house but didn't want to live in an apartment or an age-restricted "community." The Goyguy Sr's often have a new resident there to report; that is, unless the person(s) in question didn't die or proceed directly to Maple Knoll. Honestly I don't know how it became a de facto 55+ enclave right from the get-go. An elementary school is two short blocks south, and the Wyoming recreational complex (which really IS in Woodlawn - don't ask) is within spittin' distance.

My frank estimation of the appearance of Rolling Hills is that it looks like it's trying to be a subdivision out West, like in Phoenix or Las Vegas. In a community justifiably proud of its wooded areas and well-shaded streets it stands out like a parched thumb with its treeless landscape. The houses - "landominiums," if you must - also look as though they belong in a generic Sun Belt exurb. High property turnover is understandable when you realize who lives there mostly: "It was perfect for us until Marjorie broke her hip for the fourth time," "We just got tired of the trip to and from Florida every winter, and we have a nice place there, so..." Etc etc.

Rolling Hills has to be 15 or so years old now, and I truthfully don't think it's ever been 100% occupied without at least one property being on the market.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:46 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,910,782 times
Very quiet back there. My only experience is that we bought a craigslist coffee table from a woman who was clearing out her father's condo, which was back there somewhere. Her father I believe retired to where the daughter lived, somewhere sunny, Phoenix or maybe Florida.

Old 02-11-2015, 03:30 PM

4,882 posts, read 13,745,647 times
That's "LAND-ominium." They're single-family houses with attached garages, and got tagged with that made-up word because of some loophole or other in zoning regulations. Those who are in the know, know that residential property taxes are affected by what the property is defined as.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati