Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 04:40 AM

6 posts, read 6,640 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,I'm new in this forum and I don't know if my question has been asked before but I truely need your help.I recently applied for University of Cincinnati and based on my educational background I think I have a good chance of being accepted there,but the problem is I don't know anything about cincinnati or even US.I'm from Iran and as you know the life condition is REALLY different here.I have never been to US and I need your help to find a good place to stay,hopefully if I got accepted in UC.I visited so many websites that said the crime rate is realy high there,but the comments of current residents of cincinnati were in contrast with those rates.I lived my whole life in Iran and nothing bad has ever happened to me,but I know that the whole world thinks my country is unsafe and that's why I want to know how true is these crime rates about cincinnati and can a single girl live there alone by herself or not and if yes,which neighbourhood is the best for me considering that I have never visited United States.
Sorry for my bad English and thank you for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 06:11 AM

610 posts, read 788,794 times
Most UC students live around Campus in Clifton Hieghts and Coryville. Some also live in Clifton, which is just to the north of campus. Safe area with lots of diversity. Not sure on Iranians foods but it does have a few small international grocery stores. I'm going to make an assumption and say you're muslim, which would also make Clifton appealing to you as it's home to Cincinnati's Mosque. Plus easy walk/bike/bus ride to campus. Just search "Clifton Gaslight" for apartments in this area.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:40 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,348,070 times
Thousands of foreign grad students, many with much less English language skill than you demonstrate, have done exactly what you are doing. Welcome to Cincinnati, USA. Bring a warm coat. Crime is very high here among drug users and sellers.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:06 AM

245 posts, read 330,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Thousands of foreign grad students, many with much less English language skill than you demonstrate, have done exactly what you are doing. Welcome to Cincinnati, USA. Bring a warm coat. Crime is very high here among drug users and sellers.
" Crime is very high here among drug users and sellers".....Really

Old 02-13-2015, 09:34 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,696,285 times
OP ... I think the advice so far is sound.
UC is definitely in the middle of Cincinnati. Also in the same area are several of our hospitals with UC running one of the largest. This makes a mix of university and hospital employees fairly close together along with students.
I highly recommend looking for living accommodations in the immediate vicinity of UC.
I am a UC grad, but that is 53 years ago. My brother and my wife are UC grads as well as my son and one daughter. I have a granddaughter who has applied and been accepted to UC and will start next fall.

Just last night I was contacted by a student obviously working for an organization trying to get contributions from alumni. As I told him my wife and I are at an age and status where we have decided to stop all contributions due to trying to keep up with our medical expenses.

Some interesting observations he brought up. When I went to UC it was thought of as a Cincinnati commuter university. All of the family members I pointed out above lived at home and commuted to UC, including my children. Most of my classmates were commuters and the majority still live in the Cincinnati area. My correspondent pointed out this is a major change at UC, as they are building dormitories everywhere. He stated current total enrollment is about 43,000 a fair sized institution. The current UC President, Santa J Ono is pushing to expand the university. As his name implies, he is of Asian-American descent, actually born in Canada.

Being from Iran and a single female student, I strongly recommend contacting the university about possibly being in a dormitory. From everything I am hearing UC is expanding its campus police force to insure all of these new dormitories are safe places to be a resident. Now their jurisdiction is confined to the campus, they are not a general Cincinnati police component. But they are organizing to insure the safety of the on campus residents.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Well I'm not a drug user or seller or in any way related to drugs that means there won't be any problem for me?Cause I'm really worried about the crime rate (but it seems these rates are not as high as they are shown in statistics)

Old 02-13-2015, 01:44 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,420,813 times
Cincinnati area around UC is not as bad as the locals make it out to be but you still have to have some street smarts. UC has a lot of international students and they seem to like UC. I used to live in Ohio and its more diverse than Kentucky, Cincinnati is not a bad place to live even for an international, its conservative but more accepting than it used to be. Good luck to you.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincydave8 View Post
Most UC students live around Campus in Clifton Hieghts and Coryville. Some also live in Clifton, which is just to the north of campus. Safe area with lots of diversity. Not sure on Iranians foods but it does have a few small international grocery stores. I'm going to make an assumption and say you're muslim, which would also make Clifton appealing to you as it's home to Cincinnati's Mosque. Plus easy walk/bike/bus ride to campus. Just search "Clifton Gaslight" for apartments in this area.
Thank you so much for your help.I searched the Gaslight apartments but as I'm starting a life from scratch in US I'm looking for a furnished apartment.I found many apartments but because i don't know the neighbourhoods and don't know which ones are safe or close to UC I can't limit my search to a specific place.I searched for furnished apartments in Clifton but I found nearly nothing can you please suggest the neighbourhoods close (or with easy access) to UC? again thank you so much

Old 02-13-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post

Being from Iran and a single female student, I strongly recommend contacting the university about possibly being in a dormitory. From everything I am hearing UC is expanding its campus police force to insure all of these new dormitories are safe places to be a resident. Now their jurisdiction is confined to the campus, they are not a general Cincinnati police component. But they are organizing to insure the safety of the on campus residents.
I'm seriously considering dormitoris but actually there is a chance for me to live with one of my friends (who also applied for UC) off campus,and that' why I'm searching for apartments.
Thank you so much for your help and sharing experiences.

Old 02-13-2015, 03:01 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,123,407 times
Welcome to Cincinnati! Btw your English is excellent.

Unfortunately I can't help you out really, I know nothing about UC. But I am impressed by this question and glad that UC has a student population which includes Iranians!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati