Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 11:35 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times

Advertisements

When one seeks walkability within the City of Cincinnati, city limits, one is left to a small handful or neighborhoods. Basically you have only the following:

Gaslight Clifton
Oakley
Hyde Park
Mt. Lookout

At least as I understand "walkability." To me, that means a house located on a street where one is safe and comfortable walking to a store where one can buy necessities like a carton of milk or a can of cat food, restaurants where one would want to eat, parks, a library, and a bus stop. If you don't have those elements you don't have walkability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 11:45 AM

610 posts, read 796,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runbaber View Post
I'd like an area where Walnut Hills HS or Clark Montessori would be an option for my high schoolers.
All high schools are city wide. You can live in any part of the city and your children could attend Walnut Hills or Clark IF they pass the entrance exam for Walnut Hills or have previous montessori schooling for Clark.

Nearly any east side neighborhood will fit your needs.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:45 PM

245 posts, read 333,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runbaber View Post
Just to clarify: I am looking for racially, culturally, and socio-economically diverse. I am divorced and have a nuclear (and extended) family of varied race, culture, economic status. We are WAY past "will we be accepted by white people" -- that's a non-issue. I'm not offended by the broad assumptions made in a previous post (I'm white and professional with a black husband, etc.) but don't want them to get in the way of my actual request.

I'd like an area where Walnut Hills HS or Clark Montessori would be an option for my high schoolers. I want to live in a house, with a yard, that is well within my means (e.g., far less than 300K). I would like to retain walkability as I believe it fosters community. I would like the aforementioned diversity, with the understanding that it might be a little less safe and a little more messy, therefore requiring urban good sense like not leaving cars unlocked or 14-year-olds roaming around at late hours.

If there are other neighborhoods worth a look that fit the above, suggestions are more than welcome.

Y'all have already been a tremendous help. Thank you!
Pleasant Ridge.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:56 PM

410 posts, read 586,903 times
As much as I love EWH, I grew up in Pleasant Ridge/ Kennedy Heights. It's a great affordable area. One of my favorite streets :
6238 Rogers Park Pl Cincinnati Kennedy Hts OH 45213 (MLS# 1427612) - Comey & Shepherd Realtors

Old 03-01-2015, 02:56 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,232,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincydave8 View Post
Pleasant ridge is basically a black neighborhood?

59.7% White, 35.8% Black, 3.19 Mixed.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
It is when the person saying it thinks black people in any number higher than 15% means the "neighborhood's black."

Last edited by Yac; 03-13-2015 at 07:46 AM..

Old 03-03-2015, 08:12 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
I would have put Ashland and Victory Parkway in the safe column, but, in Walnut hills, you never know:

Updated: Tue, Mar 03 2015, 07:21 PM EST WALNUT HILLS (Deborah Dixon) -- Two people have been shot in Walnut Hills on Victory Parkway and Ashland Avenue on Monday. According to the District 4 Police Captain, four people were apparently arguing about money. Two of them were shot and the two shooters fled the scene. One of the victims, a woman, was shot in the chest and is seriously hurt. The other victim. a man, was shot in abdomen. Police are investigating the shooting, and are finding that many people are willing to cooperate and provide as much help as possible.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:47 PM

6 posts, read 7,403 times
You may want to consider Silverton. Great, quiet area. A handful of decent shops/restaurants to walk to (if you're in the right section of Silverton). Ice cream place, good family pizza place (italianette), Silverton Doughnut Shop, etc. Several grocery stores nearby. We've lived in our house in Silverton for ~10 years and love it here. We're selling our current house (more kids) and looking for another in the same area.

It's also perfectly located between 71, 75, Cross County, and Norwood Lateral. We can get pretty much anywhere in Cincinnati / Northern Ky with a 20 minute drive. I kinda dislike the term "hidden gem", but I think Silverton is it. Plus, It's in Cincinnati Public Schools (our kids will be attending Clark and are currently attending another CPS Montessori).

Also, we will have a nice 3BR house with a 2 car garage and a finished basement for sale in the next few months. Under 150k.

Last edited by slashsix; 03-04-2015 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: superfluous emoticons

Old 03-04-2015, 04:13 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,831,089 times
Hear, hear for Silverton. I also (perhaps more controversially) like Roselawn but am not quite picturing it as being a good fit for this particular family. There's so little within the neighborhood that's geared toward kids and you have to be very careful about what streets you look for a house on. Some of it's "hidden gem" but a lot is sketchy or worse. Perhaps Paddock Hills though?

Old 03-04-2015, 04:48 PM

Yes - there are lots of cool spots in Roselawn (and my favorite restaurant in Cincinnati - Amma's Kitchen). But yeah, for the family situation (which is essentially the same one we're in) - it's hard to beat Silverton for the money. Pleasant Ridge is great, but you're gonna pay at least 200k+ for a 3br in most parts of it these days.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:52 PM

And Silverton hits your "racially, socially, and economically diverse" description to a t. That's one of the main reasons we moved here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati