Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 09:32 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi in cinci View Post
Wilson, the point is that the house "looks like the other houses on Menlo", to quote you. Two McMansions wedged into an already smallish lot is going to look out of place and will detract from the surrounding properties. It's happening all over Hyde Park/ Mt. Lookout.

We've had several houses go up in East Walnut Hills but the difference is they have to go through the Historic Board to get approval for the plans. They are carefully planned infill.

I am sure that the $1.0-1.5mm houses that will be built on Menlo will be as tasteful as those hideous townhouses I see popping up around Walnut Hills.

Here is an example of that lovely turn of the century Victorian architecture translated to modern construction by the Walnut Hills Historic Board:
Attached Thumbnails
Old Handsome house is being sold as a tear down for 2 new homes-infill.jpg-copy.jpg  

Last edited by Wilson513; 03-01-2015 at 09:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 10:27 AM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,163 times
There appears to be some discrepancy in dates.

Biographical Dictionary of Cincinnati Architects, 1788-1940

"Zettel, John
(1881-1950).
Listed with (G.W.) Rapp, Zettel & (Walter L.) Rapp 1903-1912; as Zettel & Rapp 1913-1930; on his own 1936-1937 (although his obituaries indicate he retired from Rapp, Zettel & Rapp in 1931).
A talented draftsman, Zettel designed the Egyptian-style invitations to the 1st and 2nd CAIA/CAM (1901 and 1902). See also Thornton Fitzhugh drawings in the 1889 CAC catalogue.
His obituaries mention his designing the “ornamental fountain in Hyde Park Square, the Allaise [A l’Aise] Apartments [also in Hyde Park Square, at SEC Erie Ave and Edwards Rd], the R.K. LeBlond home in Tusculum [attributed to Rapp & Zettel] and Mariemont Inn.”
Like a number of other Cincinnati architects and artists, Zettel was a member of the (Swedenborgian) Church of the New Jerusalem.

Obituaries, Cincinnati Enquirer and Cincinnati Post (7/27/1950);
Haverstock, ed. (2000), 979;
Painter, AIC (2006), 179, 211.

zettel

John Zettel (1881-1950) and Walter L. Rapp (1878-1974)
Mariemont Inn
Wooster Pike
Southeastern Hamilton County

The architects’ original conception was for a much larger building in a V-shaped plan with long wings. Livingwood, who described the principals as his “friends,” most likely specified the Tudor Revival elements in the building."

John Zettel - Artist, Fine Art, Auction Records, Prices, Biography for John Zettel

"John Zettel was born in Austria in March 1868. Zettel appears to have arrived in Ohio when a small child. He had an architectural practice in Cincinnati until 1931. He then retired to devote his time to travel and painting. While based in Ohio, he painted in San Miguel, CA in 1930-37 and Guernavaca, Mexico in 1940. He was the brother of Rookwood artist Josephine Zettel.
Source:
Edan Hughes, "Artists in California, 1786-1940"
Cincinnati Enquirer, 7-27-1950 (obit)."

And it appears that the firm he was affiliated with provided designs for some major buildings in Cincinnati.

Queen City Survey: The Queen’s Crown Jewels

Old 03-01-2015, 01:01 PM

410 posts, read 586,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I am sure that the $1.0-1.5mm houses that will be built on Menlo will be as tasteful as those hideous townhouses I see popping up around Walnut Hills.

Here is an example of that lovely turn of the century Victorian architecture translated to modern construction by the Walnut Hills Historic Board:

Nice try Wilson, the property you show isn't even in the Walnut Hills Historic District.
Walnut Hills, Cincinnati - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was actually refering to East Walnut Hills. There are homes within the districts that are deemed "Not Historically Significant".

http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/plannin...oric-district/

Old 03-01-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Nice try Wilson, the property you show isn't even in the Walnut Hills Historic District.
Walnut Hills, Cincinnati - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was actually refering to East Walnut Hills. There are homes within the districts that are deemed "Not Historically Significant".

http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/plannin...oric-district/
Quote:
We've had several houses go up in East Walnut Hills but the difference is they have to go through the Historic Board to get approval for the plans. They are carefully planned infill.
So, you are telling us there have been tear downs and infill in that district? What address?

Last edited by Wilson513; 03-01-2015 at 01:25 PM..

Old 03-01-2015, 02:40 PM

My use of the word infill does not refer to tear down/rebuild : In the urban planning and development industries, infill has been defined as the use of land within a built-up area for further construction, especially as part of a community redevelopment or growth management program or as part of smart growth.

The homes that I am refering to are actually built on vacant lots. This would be one of the examples I was thinking about.
Hamilton County Auditor Dusty Rhodes

There are some Hyde Park teardown/rebuilds that are beautifully done with sensitivity to the surrounding area. This one is one block over from the one we are discussing.

My point was not to nitpick about your post. It was to comment that Hyde Park residents might want to create one or even several Historic Districts. "Progress" to those of us who love old homes is not to rip down a home that is structurally sound to slap in a house that has all the current bells and whistles...it is rehabbing and saving what already exists. The craftsmanship in that house will not be found in the two that replace it.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
My use of the word infill does not refer to tear down/rebuild : In the urban planning and development industries, infill has been defined as the use of land within a built-up area for further construction, especially as part of a community redevelopment or growth management program or as part of smart growth.

The homes that I am refering to are actually built on vacant lots. This would be one of the examples I was thinking about.

There are some Hyde Park teardown/rebuilds that are beautifully done with sensitivity to the surrounding area. This one is one block over from the one we are discussing.

My point was not to nitpick about your post. It was to comment that Hyde Park residents might want to create one or even several Historic Districts. "Progress" to those of us who love old homes is not to rip down a home that is structurally sound to slap in a house that has all the current bells and whistles...it is rehabbing and saving what already exists. The craftsmanship in that house will not be found in the two that replace it.

Let's see an address. those links don't work.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:46 PM

My apologies.
The one in EWH is 2968 Annwood St. 45206

The rebuild in Hyde Park is 3325 Stettinius 45208 but the original address was on Salem.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
My apologies.
The one in EWH is 2968 Annwood St. 45206

The rebuild in Hyde Park is 3325 Stettinius 45208 but the original address was on Salem.

I had to laugh when I saw it. $1,400,000 was the original price. I am sure the EWH Historic folks did not have too much to criticize about that place.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:18 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
This BS has been going on around Greater Boston for 20 years or so. As usual, Cincinnati is just now catching up. Whether in satellite cities comparable to Norwood or Hamilton, or in "precious" suburbs comparable to Mariemont or Glendale, it wreaks devastation on a neighborhood's appearance and does real damage to its "vibe." You go from having a distinct yet uniform row of houses to one where the row is broken up by disproportionately large McMansions or closely-packed generic "townhomes," where most of the properties have inviting yards but the new construction takes up so much lot capacity that the buildings run right smack up against the sidewalk.

Look no farther than Montgomery's older neighborhoods (constructed during the 1950's and '60s) for a prime example of aesthetic destabilization wrought by tear-downs. It's going at a pretty fierce clip over there. And it's all because Millennials insist upon "everything brand-new" and don't believe a 3 or 4-BR 2-BA ranch house or split-level with a two-car garage could possibly be adequate for their childless or one-child selves. What a country.

For examples of what the CPA has been able to purchase and save, I offer...the Gamble House in Westwood - oops, nope. How about Walnut Hills Presbyterian Church? Oops, only one tower was preserved to overlook a parking lot and the far-from-rapidly redeveloping Gilbert Ave. How about the Theda Bara villa at Ledgewood and Victory Parkway? Oops, XU literally called in wrecking crews in the dead of night on that one. How about the Christian Moerlein mansion in CUF on McMillan St, more recently known as Lenhardt's? Oops, fumbled there too. Beyond that their track record for preservation stays far from stellar. Not good - and that's putting it mildly.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:47 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
Can't say I have much recompense for people concerned about dallying around a 1 MIL or more neighborhood. If someone wants to tear it down, so what? If you want to preserve it then put your money out there and do so. Otherwise just let the natural course of events dictate what happens.

Just today I was talking to my son, also an engineer, and stated I consider my house an expendable, I don't care if it lasts beyond me. I have a 1/2 bath on our lower floor which does not now meet our needs. We need a full bath with handicap access. As I told him don't keep trying to fit everything into the current space. Take a couple of feet off that oversize garage and put some more space into the bathroom. In fact I am willing to sacrifice an actual garage to obtain the space for a truly handicap access 1st floor bath. The lot has plenty of space. So as father and son often do we argued a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati