Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2015, 09:10 AM

26 posts, read 87,290 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about Franklin City Schools and Hunter elem.
I am considering moving out to that area and I am wondering what the schools/area are like.

The home I am looking at is off of North Shaker Rd
If anyone has any insight on what this area is like it would be greatly appreciated!

What are the schools like?
What is it known for, does it have a bad reputation, a safe area to live in ect..........?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 11:05 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,729,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icetea123 View Post
Can anyone tell me about Franklin City Schools and Hunter elem.
I am considering moving out to that area and I am wondering what the schools/area are like.

The home I am looking at is off of North Shaker Rd
If anyone has any insight on what this area is like it would be greatly appreciated!

What are the schools like?
What is it known for, does it have a bad reputation, a safe area to live in ect..........?
I have a former co-worker who lives there and feels it is just fine. Have not heard anything derogatory about the schools. Obviously it is close to I-75 and anything it connects to north or south. Much worse areas to consider.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:17 PM

908 posts, read 1,411,036 times
Franklin is an above average school district. Franklin has a couple of historic buildings and a historic bridge, but it's not really known for much except that it's one of the few towns that still has a railroad track that runs in the middle of one of the streets. There's nothing really too positive or negative about it. It has a nice bike trail.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
Franklin is an above average school district. Franklin has a couple of historic buildings and a historic bridge, but it's not really known for much except that it's one of the few towns that still has a railroad track that runs in the middle of one of the streets. There's nothing really too positive or negative about it. It has a nice bike trail.
If the schools are good and the prices are right, what more do you want? The OP has been surveying just about everything in Greater Cincinnati or beyond. I hope this is coming to some fruition, but I know it takes time. But from a location with reasonable distances to many jobs this makes sense to me.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:32 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,134,413 times
Not to rain on everyone's parade, but if we are discussing the (*cough* BS) school rankings the State of Ohio chooses to publish complete with performance index numbers, then Frankin's scores are dismal.

Here's a link to the (barf) rankings:
Best School Districts in Dayton, Ohio, region for 2015 - Dayton Business Journal

Frankin: Best School Districts in Dayton region for 2015 - Dayton Business Journal
(#65 out of 87 districts. PI score 96.---. Wedged between Edgewood and Hamilton on the rankings when looking at Butler/Warren)

And the reason why I am typing emotion into my posts, which I try hard to avoid doing but in this situation I cannot. The idea of school rankings is fundamentally flawed:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/dayto...-rankings.html

Old 03-05-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
Not to rain on everyone's parade, but if we are discussing the (*cough* BS) school rankings the State of Ohio chooses to publish complete with performance index numbers, then Frankin's scores are dismal.

Here's a link to the (barf) rankings:
Best School Districts in Dayton, Ohio, region for 2015 - Dayton Business Journal

Frankin: Best School Districts in Dayton region for 2015 - Dayton Business Journal
(#65 out of 87 districts. PI score 96.---. Wedged between Edgewood and Hamilton on the rankings when looking at Butler/Warren)

And the reason why I am typing emotion into my posts, which I try hard to avoid doing but in this situation I cannot. The idea of school rankings is fundamentally flawed:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/dayto...-rankings.html
If school rankings are fundamentally flawed please explain! I believe the majority of families desire a good school district. If you have an innate view of how they are all being duped just pour it out here along with the substantiating info. Frankly I don't believe you have enough experience to judge good aqainst bad. I could be definitely wrong, but when you make strong observations please back them up. I just back mine up with good old exposure, which I still believe is the strongest of life's experiences.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:31 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,134,413 times
^Please follow the link and read the Dayton thread. I do not have time to post an explanation at the moment.

Basically, I don't understand why education has become a game schools have to play to compete and win. Every child should receive an excellent education, and that should be the end of the discussion. Class/race, geographic location, and privelige should not be factors in who learns and who doesn't.

Old 03-06-2015, 04:40 PM

I obviously do not live in Franklin, but I have former coworkers who do. They are much younger than I am, believe I have some kids old as them, but they seem to like Franklin and are raising their family there. But the day is not going to come when schools are not a primary concern. As much as our society socializes, schools will separate the observance of the neighborhoods.

I have spent a good portion of my time this week attempting to call my former classmates from Madeira HS from the class of 1957. Easy to remember since we had 57 graduates that year. Yes we have some who are deceased, but I have contacted a number who are doing well, wherever they currently live. They all agree with one view, we had a great school, great classmates, and great teachers. And many people take that with them for the remainder of their lives. I know I certainly have.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:37 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,001,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I have a former co-worker who lives there and feels it is just fine. Have not heard anything derogatory about the schools. Obviously it is close to I-75 and anything it connects to north or south. Much worse areas to consider.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
In support of these two comments (and having lived in Franklin myself), I'd like to add a several more observations...

Franklin is truly a solid blue-collar town wedged into virtually the epicenter of the expanding "CIN-DAY" corridor. And because of this, this nondescript burg is both blessed and cursed; for all your wants and needs, you'll be near everything and next to nothing. (For example, the county seat's in Lebanon, some ten miles distant.) In short, car-country.

A decent school system, good HS athletic programs, many modest affordable homes (especially the entire area around Millard Drive) and a large, modern library. Nevertheless a mostly residential community where employment will mean driving the parameters of CIN-DAY and its elongated main artery, I-75.

If you're coming from a rural setting, fine; but if from an urban setting, not so good. Yes, there's Atrium Hospital and Kroger Marketplace down in Middletown, Austin Landing and Dorothy Lane Market up in Springboro, and a huge Wal-Mart within Franklin itself, but so what? If you've ever resided in a real city, you know what I'm saying. Someone from neighboring Carlisle may think Franklin possesses a downtown, but all that's down there along the river is a dumpy, boarded up ghost town, a relic to a yesteryear when there was no I-75.

Really, if you're actually thinking of buying a home along North Shaker Rd., I've described nothing you haven't already seen for yourself. Lovely property all up and down that road; connections to SR 122 and 123 at either end, Hunter Elementary School to your south/Franklin HS to your north, and CIN-DAY completely surrounding you. Like car-country?

Old 03-07-2015, 04:41 PM

OP... So what is the problem?

The majority of the people I know out here moved here for one simple purpose, a piece of property they could afford to raise a family on. If Franklin still represents that designation and what you need go for it.

I moved to Mason 40 years ago when it was a cow town. I doubly lucked out. The only company I ever worked for, LeBlond in Norwood sold out to the Japanese who decided the old factory could not support the quality of machines they built due to energy deficiencies. So the next thing I know they sold the old factory in Norwood and built a state of the art facility in Mason Ohio. Next thing I know I could have walked to work.

There are times when you simply have to be grateful about your good fortunes. If not so much melarky. Frankly I am pretty thankful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati