Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 08:24 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,543,045 times

Advertisements

So, it was announced today that Crossroads Church has bought Old St George with plans to renovate it and use it once again as a house of worship. While I'm not a big fan of Crossroads for a variety of reasons that aren't really relevant to this thread, this is probably the best news possible for this battered architectural jewel of Uptown. With so many abandoned churches around town and the never ending struggle to adapt them to other uses, it seems like such a no brainer to use it as a church once again.

Still, I worry about how Crossroads is going to handle the restoration of this historic Hannaford-designed structure. Crossroads' modernist tendencies don't fit well with historically sensitive restoration, and there will clearly be some compromises. Most notably, they plan on rebuilding the steeples, which were for over 120 years standing proudly until lost to fire. However, the steeples will not be rebuilt as exact reproductions of the originals, but rather they propose something that mimics the originals. According to the article on wcpo.com, the new steeples will be made of a metal frame wrapped with a translucent mesh. As a purist when it comes to historic buildings, the thought of this makes me shudder. I almost consider it in poor taste to put this kind of garish modern construction on an old building like this. But, I suppose it is better than letting the building further deteriorate and maybe lost forever.

Last edited by t45209; 03-09-2015 at 08:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 08:48 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Good comments. Crossroads does seem to have their own agenda. They have recently remanufactured an old plant out here in Mason into a new church. It was a good size facility and I will believe will be a good sized church. Will be interesting to see just how large they grow.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:21 PM

60 posts, read 166,114 times
Ugh!

Old 03-09-2015, 11:32 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Nonsense. They were willing for it to be office space for UC a few years ago. I'm sure CR won;t molest it any worse than that.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:53 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Anything that will save the building at all is better than letting it fall down brick by brick, a not unheard of occurrence with such white elephant structures. Nevertheless, when I saw the illustration up-thread I felt like vomiting. It's a safe bet the interior will be gutted and turned into the bland, acres-of-drywall auditorium type of setting with a large staging area that Crossroads' worship style demands. So I guess it's all relative. Not the worst outcome for the building, but probably not one that anyone who loves beautiful old churches would choose.

And yes, I get that I just blathered on about something that's mostly speculation. While I have no problem with Crossroads and actually commend them for reaching people who would otherwise not be reached by more traditional churches, I think it's too much to hope that they would have tuned in to the growing movement among young people to seek more traditional church settings. But it would be great if they did. I'll be watching with interest.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Anything that will save the building at all is better than letting it fall down brick by brick, a not unheard of occurrence with such white elephant structures. Nevertheless, when I saw the illustration up-thread I felt like vomiting. It's a safe bet the interior will be gutted and turned into the bland, acres-of-drywall auditorium type of setting with a large staging area that Crossroads' worship style demands. So I guess it's all relative. Not the worst outcome for the building, but probably not one that anyone who loves beautiful old churches would choose.

And yes, I get that I just blathered on about something that's mostly speculation. While I have no problem with Crossroads and actually commend them for reaching people who would otherwise not be reached by more traditional churches, I think it's too much to hope that they would have tuned in to the growing movement among young people to seek more traditional church settings. But it would be great if they did. I'll be watching with interest.

I'm confused. I didn't see anything in the photo link above that was objectionable, or even different. The spires were hit by lightning a few years ago and burned, right? Is that what we are talking about?
Attached Thumbnails
Crossroads Moving into Old St George-3images.jpeg  

Old 03-10-2015, 07:52 AM

60 posts, read 166,114 times
It may be just the renderings, but the steeples seemed out of proportion, with little if any detail to match the original building. It's one think if that's due to cost; if not, then I stand by my "Ugh!" Also they appear to be lighted; if so, that's another ugh!

Old 03-10-2015, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GManorborn View Post
It may be just the renderings, but the steeples seemed out of proportion, with little if any detail to match the original building. It's one think if that's due to cost; if not, then I stand by my "Ugh!" Also they appear to be lighted; if so, that's another ugh!

Uh, I think they are identical. Those new ones are drawings, not photos.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:34 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
You are able to comment all you want. But CR has been growing immensely. I am willing to see where they end up. If another Jim and Tammy Bakker operation that is one thing, UGH. But if a growing episcopal church, great. We meed to acknowledge those who are trying to uplift the ambiance in the whole area.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:40 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
Churches are gorgeous old relics that are nearly impossible to find a use for. I welcome any effort to keep the building upright and in use. I agree that it may be in better taste just to leave the steeples off, but that is not my decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati