Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 11:56 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,127,726 times

Advertisements

There's a dichotomy here.

Mason clearly acted within its legal rights, and did what it needed to do to stay competitive in the metro area. But was this a win for the metro? Most certainly not. P&G and the contractor are the only real beneficiaries.

So yes this a great example of corporate welfare, plain and simple. At an expense to the citizens of Mason and the State of Ohio.

This is exactly why federal legislation against this type of activity is needed. Nothing against Mason, they were doing what any other city would do, but against P&G and other companies that weasel out any tax break they don't need. They don't need this facility, and all the move will do is add to the glut of vacant commercial real estate.

What's needed is tax incentive reform.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 12:14 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,426,032 times
Mason is one of the nicest and most progressive places in the entire state of Ohio. Not a huge fan of Ohio but Warren County is one of the best counties to live in all of Ohio by far. I really like the city of Mason its one of Ohio's best cities.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:00 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,709,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
There's a dichotomy here.

Mason clearly acted within its legal rights, and did what it needed to do to stay competitive in the metro area. But was this a win for the metro? Most certainly not. P&G and the contractor are the only real beneficiaries.

So yes this a great example of corporate welfare, plain and simple. At an expense to the citizens of Mason and the State of Ohio.

This is exactly why federal legislation against this type of activity is needed. Nothing against Mason, they were doing what any other city would do, but against P&G and other companies that weasel out any tax break they don't need. They don't need this facility, and all the move will do is add to the glut of vacant commercial real estate.

What's needed is tax incentive reform.
Sorry, just don't agree with the tax incentiive reform idea. Mason responded to a P&G inquiry I am sure and did it swiftly. Now those who either didn't get an inquiry from P&G or poopooed it are all bent out of shape. Sit on your duff and lose the ballgame. Those expanded jobs at the Mason P&G Business Center will bring a lot to the City of Mason's general revenue fund via city income tax. And many of those employees will decide to live in Mason or close by, my favorite theme of live where you work. They will not only work in Mason but spend their money here too. So I just don't see where Mason is a loser in any of this. Is P&G a gainer, sure they are. But I would rather see them as a gainer in Greater Cincinnati than elsewhere. Sorry about you back-boned liberals but it is the thrust of companies like P&G, Kroger (remember Barney), and the rest which have established the living environment of Cincinnati, obviously in my opinion one of the best in the nation. Let's see if we can keep them around awhile longer.

The liberals running Miami University I am sure disagree, but since the majority of them have never been challenged with a failing business and how to pay the bills, I disagree. Tax incentives are a very valuable tool, and if used right can surely add to the growth of an area. Just have to have someone to apply them with discretion. Since that is such a challenge in today's society I will leave it up to the future to decide.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:11 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,127,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
The liberals running Miami University I am sure disagree
I can assure you liberals don't run Miami. Also, political leaning is not applicable to this discussion. Where the heck did any of this notion come from?

The rest I'll address later.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
I can assure you liberals don't run Miami. Also, political leaning is not applicable to this discussion. Where the heck did any of this notion come from?

The rest I'll address later.
If you don't think political thinking pervades this whole discussion, sorry about your so-called education at MU. Political thinking runs about 95% of all the decisions made in the US. The professors at MU may convince you otherwise, but if you really look into their background, anything they have ever done outside of the university, etc., I will stand by my opinion.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:22 PM

1,581 posts, read 1,962,073 times
It sounds to me like PG probably decided they were moving to Mason before they even first spoke to Mason about it. There's too much raw land around their Mason facility to not utilize it. Free space in Blue Ash is limited.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
It sounds to me like PG probably decided they were moving to Mason before they even first spoke to Mason about it. There's too much raw land around their Mason facility to not utilize it. Free space in Blue Ash is limited.
I believe you are absolutely correct. That raw land around the P&G Mason facility would be a shame to just see it sit there. A beautiful working environment already which I just expect to improve. P&G has never been stupid, and I believe this is just a good example. Provide a good working environment in an area with an even better living environment and how can you lose? The property they are vacating in Blue Ash won't last long. Blue Ash is also a great environment to live in and I am sure several companies will jump on that availability.

I am convinced Mason responded to a P&G inquiry, not the other way around. Just glad Mason had enough sense to respond quickly and seal the deal. To that I commend the Mason City Council, don't sit on your duff and ask a lot of questions, just act and seal the deal with P&G. How anyone can consider this a bad deal for the city of Mason I can't comprehend. Yes P&G is a winner, but so is Mason. That to me is the way to conduct development, get the best companies to commit to your area. Then based on that job development take the obvious turn.

This decision by P&G will simply elevate Mason as one or the most desirable suburbs of Cincinnati. Great schools, great parks and living, good shopping, you name it. OH yes, the GREAT Mason Community Center.

Somebody please tell me how Mason is a loser in this deal? Is easy for others to criticize the deal, but then give me your alternatives. This will take Mason far into this century, not that they had that far to go.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:59 PM

1,607 posts, read 2,824,634 times
Yeah it's a loser. It's 30+ million they could have collected without doing anything, if they were set on moving there in the first place.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
Yeah it's a loser. It's 30+ million they could have collected without doing anything, if they were set on moving there in the first place.
\

Small potatoes. The incentives Mason offered will be paid back several times over. That is why people with big ideas often reap the big rewards. And why those with no ideas often sit on the sidelines and wonder What Happened?

Old 03-27-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
\

Small potatoes. The incentives Mason offered will be paid back several times over. That is why people with big ideas often reap the big rewards. And why those with no ideas often sit on the sidelines and wonder What Happened?
No way is it a loser. Mason will come out of this with several times more than they put it. That is the difference between far-looking entities and those with no looking! I would certainly prefer giving an outfit like P&G a break than someone we never heard of. Believe me, this is a good deal for both P&G and Mason. Those of you who don't think so, go back and take a basic Economics 101 course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati