U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 02:12 PM

3 posts, read 2,521 times

Advertisements

well chemistry guy....when was the last time one of your upper class friends was too poor to pay rent or electricity?....sadly your not seeing it as a problem in your community because the addicts in your direct line of vision can support there addiction...the only reason people think heroin is a "poor people's" addiction is because poor people cant afford to keep something like a heroin addiction secret.. it's far too expensive!!! most people don't understand...it's not heroin that makes people look sick...its running out!! And that is why, Chemistry Guy, you don't see it...If you think hard enough I'm sure you can remember at least one person(who may no longer live in your nice community) whom when faced with sudden joblessness or poverty of any kind suddenly had an issue with addiction.. bottom line rich or poor people often do whatever they can to keep there problems secret. And the more resources a person has the better they will accomplish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 02:43 PM

2,509 posts, read 3,352,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
Sounds like an interesting chemistry problem for your students.

Give them the structure of morphine, the structure of diacetylmorphine and ask them to provide the structure of what needs to be reacted with the morphine to form the diacetylmorphine (heroin)

You could give them the molar mass of 102.09 g∑mol^−1 as a clue.

Then once they see that maybe they won't ever consider putting that stuff in their body.
When they are sophomores they make aspirin out of salicylic acid. I am sure the smart ones could figure out how to make heroin from morphine using nothing but the pre-lab notes for that experiment. The rest could use google. Morphine is a whole lot less accessible than heroin, though.

I most definitely believe that it is a problem. I am interested in statistics, demographics, and trends. I am also interested in knowing why the perception is that it is a much bigger problem on the Kentucky side of the river.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:47 PM

626 posts, read 444,700 times
In 1992 when I came back home from college almost every upper middle class white kid I knew who had stayed in Cincinnati for college was doing heroin. Lots and lots of people. My roomate bought it on Vine at Liberty sreet. Lots of friends died.

Now that I'm an old fogey and have left and returned again I would say of those who lived and stayed at least half are still marginally employed junkies. This year's bad batches and weird potencies will winnow the flock further.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:44 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,141,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
When they are sophomores they make aspirin out of salicylic acid. I am sure the smart ones could figure out how to make heroin from morphine using nothing but the pre-lab notes for that experiment. The rest could use google. Morphine is a whole lot less accessible than heroin, though.

I most definitely believe that it is a problem. I am interested in statistics, demographics, and trends. I am also interested in knowing why the perception is that it is a much bigger problem on the Kentucky side of the river.
That's just it. Figure no google, no pre-lab notes. You sit them down with a surprise quiz, give them morphine structure and heroin structure, and ask them what is mixed with morphine to make heroin.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:10 PM

190 posts, read 178,207 times
Heroin is definitely a big problem here and yes, it is being used by middle class and upper middle class people. I was told by a reliable source that Bethesda North sees a large number of overdose cases. A cop told me that he's coming across heroin in all kinds of neighborhoods, not just poor ones. A doctor told me that the skyrocketing Hepatitis C rates are likely to be followed by a spike in HIV rates, which is already happening in parts of Indiana.

Like someone else said, those with money can better cover up their addictions than someone who's already living on the edge. I'd also suspect a fair number of middle class/upper middle class folks are not revealing the real reason why a loved one suddenly died.

It's here, it's everywhere, and it's a public health crisis that doesn't appear to be going away anytime soon.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:41 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,936,243 times
If you don't run in artistic/musical circles, or belong to the eroding middle class, you don't see it.
If you do - like me - you're "just like W...T...F"

The oxy craze is all but cold, but H has roared back. All the while the spotlight is on "molly," which pretty much only college kids who like EDM crap music indulge in. Then again, they're the product of Caucasoid suburbia and they are college kids. Whose parents read the newspapers & watch TV and get all a-dither? RIGHT! It's the same reason my favorite over-hyped subject to trash (smartphone grabs in CUF bringing on screaming headlines) get the attention they do.

So glad weed's all I've ever enjoyed beyond the legal intoxicants. And it's all but completely legalized in Massachusetts now, so I can post that.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:47 PM

1,034 posts, read 980,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Their children are using heroin. They just don't know it yet. Unlike pot which people joke about and make only a limited effort to hide, heroin is kept as a big secret. Until there is an overdose or a car wreck, no one knows.

It is truly a serious problem.

This this this! This is no joke. There is a huge stigma attached to heroin(perhaps rightly so) even amoung crack heads. If you ask a crack dealer on the corner where to find some heroin they will even look at you like you are scum of the earth. I don't do this of course but I know some folks who have tried it. It's mostly rich white suburbanites that are hooked..you have to be to be able to fork over up to 300 bucks a day to do it. And unlike crack once you start you can't stop or you will get hideously sick.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:50 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,936,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit Toy View Post
I'd also suspect a fair number of middle class/upper middle class folks are not revealing the real reason why a loved one suddenly died.
Right??? Several men who never married & were raised in a certain better-than-you suburb of Cincinnati died of an unspecified "cancer" during the '80s and '90s. Same thing only different.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:07 PM

7,651 posts, read 5,407,484 times
http://www.local12.com/news/features...ng-101872.shtm

The Changing Face of Heroin

Demographics of Heroin Users Change in Past 50 Years

Heroin Statistics

Old 03-26-2015, 06:02 PM

682 posts, read 1,388,065 times
We have been full court press on running Heroin dealers out of our community, by acquiring houses where they rented and fixing them up for owner occupancy. The problem has changed to a "drive through" problem and we take them on with cameras.

We don't see poor people in pickup trucks, we see BMW's, and other luxury cars (many with KY plates) meeting up with dealers (who live mostly in Price Hill now that we ran them out of our neighborhood and actually drive crappy cars) doing "Drive trough's" . The dealers get on the phone and meet three or four different people at once in a block, One guy runs out does the quick exchange and they all take off. We see housewives and obvious professional types buying.....they don't expect to see people in what they figure to be a "depressed neighborhood" with cameras

When these people see residents with cameras now its laughable how fast they take off, afraid mommy or daddy will find out. We pass the photos off to our police officers and share them with our crime watch patrol people. This summer we adding highly visible IP cameras in some areas.

Doesn't solve the bigger problem but it gets them out of our neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati